"Realms"

Caoimhghín

"Realms"

Post by Caoimhghín »

What is the working definition of "realms" when Nichiren Buddhists talk about the interpenetration of the ten "realms"?
Then, the monks uttered this gāthā:

These bodies are like foam.
Them being frail, who can rejoice in them?
The Buddha attained the vajra-body.
Still, it becomes inconstant and ruined.
The many Buddhas are vajra-entities.
All are also subject to inconstancy.
Quickly ended, like melting snow --
how could things be different?

The Buddha passed into parinirvāṇa afterward.
(T1.27b10 Mahāparinirvāṇasūtra DĀ 2)
Queequeg
Former staff member

Re: "Realms"

Post by Queequeg »

The six realms of samsara plus sravka, pratyekhabuddha, Bodhisattva, Buddha.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
Minobu

Post by Minobu »

how about english version...lol..
break it down for us please.
Caoimhghín

Post by Caoimhghín »

Queequeg wrote:The six realms of samsara plus sravka, pratyekhabuddha, Bodhisattva, Buddha.
But what is a "realm" exactly, in this context, from a perspective informed by Nichiren Buddhism?
Then, the monks uttered this gāthā:

These bodies are like foam.
Them being frail, who can rejoice in them?
The Buddha attained the vajra-body.
Still, it becomes inconstant and ruined.
The many Buddhas are vajra-entities.
All are also subject to inconstancy.
Quickly ended, like melting snow --
how could things be different?

The Buddha passed into parinirvāṇa afterward.
(T1.27b10 Mahāparinirvāṇasūtra DĀ 2)
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

It's the Mahayana meaning.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
Minobu

Post by Minobu »

:broke: :shrug:
:coffee:
narhwal90
Global Moderator

Post by narhwal90 »

In SGI the 10 Realms are generally referred to as "10 Worlds". OTOH the 3 factor in the ichinen sanzen equation are the "3 Realms" ( 5 components, living beings, environment) so confusion abounds lol.
Minobu

Post by Minobu »

narhwal90 wrote: so confusion abounds lol.
but isn't everything Buddhism like that....lol..
like i don;t get what you just said...sorry...but the more i try .....the harder it is to "GET IT" and that refers to everything...not just what you just wrote. AAAAAAHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhh

maybe it was me morning coffee...too week...as opposed to the stuff that can raise the hair on a Billiard Ball i usually make.
narhwal90
Global Moderator

Post by narhwal90 »

for my part the distinction between "realms" and "worlds" with respect to the list of 10 life conditions from hell to buddha is word choice between reasonably similar terms. OTOH the confusion that I found humorous was between the "10 realms" vs "3 realms"- SGI using the latter but not the former. I was about to write that the numbered lists appear endless but realized that I work in a business with an apparently infinite supply of acronyms and so conversation around here is probably even more obscure lol.
Minobu

Post by Minobu »

narhwal90 wrote:for my part the distinction between "realms" and "worlds" with respect to the list of 10 life conditions from hell to buddha is word choice between reasonably similar terms. OTOH the confusion that I found humorous was between the "10 realms" vs "3 realms"- SGI using the latter but not the former. I was about to write that the numbered lists appear endless but realized that I work in a business with an apparently infinite supply of acronyms and so conversation around here is probably even more obscure lol.
oh now i get it....

:rolling: :woohoo: :rolling:
mansurhirbi87

Post by mansurhirbi87 »

i'd like to know the origin (where in the sutras or great commentators) of the ten realms and how Tiantai got his conclusions about them.
i made a search and it's curious that something so basic in Nichiren and Tiantai buddhism cannot be traced
GDPR_Anonymized001

Post by GDPR_Anonymized001 »

mansurhirbi87 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 6:30 pm i'd like to know the origin (where in the sutras or great commentators) of the ten realms and how Tiantai got his conclusions about them.
i made a search and it's curious that something so basic in Nichiren and Tiantai buddhism cannot be traced
I thought this was common in all Mahayana traditions, is it only East Asian?
tkp67

Post by tkp67 »

“My teaching has nine aspects,Which are taught according to the strengths of beings.I teach with this method so that they will approach
The supreme gift that is wisdom. {49}
https://84000.co/new-84000-publication- ... od-dharma/
I use these nine devices,
adapting them to the living beings when I preach,
my basic aim being to lead them into the great vehicle,
and that is why I preach this sutra.
https://www.nichirenlibrary.org/en/lsoc ... 2#para-238
mansurhirbi87

Post by mansurhirbi87 »

jake wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 8:01 pm
mansurhirbi87 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 6:30 pm i'd like to know the origin (where in the sutras or great commentators) of the ten realms and how Tiantai got his conclusions about them.
i guess the six realms are common. but beside the number 10, there is the idea of interpenetration
mansurhirbi87

Post by mansurhirbi87 »

tkp67 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 8:11 pm
“My teaching has nine aspects,Which are taught according to the strengths of beings.I teach with this method so that they will approach
very nice, brother. thank you very much _/\_
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

It is only an East Asian thing.

In Indo-Tibetan Buddhism what is discussed are six realms and three realms. Āryas by definition belong to either the desire realm (human realm) or the form realm (the five pure abodes), there are no āryas in the formless realm.
GDPR_Anonymized001

Sorry, I don't see the link with this and what the OP was asking. You're quoting a section about the nine methods of teaching the Dharma. It's nothing to do with the Ten Realms.
Last edited by GDPR_Anonymized001 on Mon May 17, 2021 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GDPR_Anonymized001

Malcolm wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 9:13 pm
It is only an East Asian thing.

In Indo-Tibetan Buddhism what is discussed are six realms and three realms. Āryas by definition belong to either the desire realm (human realm) or the form realm (the five pure abodes), there are no āryas in the formless realm.
Thank you. I never understood it to be proposing 10 actual realms but rather as a kind of "catch-all" for referencing all manner of beings (a la ten directions). I don't practice a Lotus school however so maybe that's why. I appreciate the info!
tkp67

Post by tkp67 »

jake wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 9:32 pm
Sorry, I don't see the link with this and what the OP was asking. You're quoting a section about the nine methods of teaching the Dharma. It's nothing to do with the Ten Realms.
If you read the previous and subsequent text within expedient means he addresses beings in the six realms and then voice hearers, pratyekabuddha and bodhisattavas respectively discriminating between them all. It is necessary to read it all on context but is far too great to post here in the entirety without violating the TOA.

Return to “Nichiren”