Nichiren monastic morning service

Caoimhghín

Nichiren monastic morning service

Post by Caoimhghín »

Hello all!

Do monasteries established by a Nichiren-derived school recite a morning service similar to the general Chinese Mahayana morning service (Śūraṇgama Dhāraṇī, Nīlakaṇṭha Dhāraṇī, Ten Short Dhāraṇī, Heart Sutra, etc) with daimoku and gongyō integrated into it? Or do they perform a more elaborate version of the gongyō that I frequently see suggested for lay practitioners. Is the monastic and the lay gongyō the same?
Then, the monks uttered this gāthā:

These bodies are like foam.
Them being frail, who can rejoice in them?
The Buddha attained the vajra-body.
Still, it becomes inconstant and ruined.
The many Buddhas are vajra-entities.
All are also subject to inconstancy.
Quickly ended, like melting snow --
how could things be different?

The Buddha passed into parinirvāṇa afterward.
(T1.27b10 Mahāparinirvāṇasūtra DĀ 2)
markatex

Re: Nichiren monastic morning service

Post by markatex »

To the degree that there are monastics in Nichiren Buddhism (or Japanese Buddhism generally), I doubt there's much difference. In Nichiren Shu, at least, there might me more of the Lotus Sutra chanted than a lay person would normally do, but never other sutras or dharanis other than what is found in the LS.
Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows »

do nichiren buddhist really recite the mantras from the 26th chapter?
markatex

Post by markatex »

Yes. Maybe not commonly, but it is done.
KanseCapon

Post by KanseCapon »

As Mark said, in Nichiren Shu, Priests/minister's Morning Service usually follows the standard Gongyo format, but with additional things included.

One thing is that often, more of the Lotus Sutra than Hoben and Jigage is recited...

The whole Threefold Lotus Sutra 法華三部経 or the Lotus Sutra may be read, divided into parts. For example, one fascicle per day, half a fascicle per day, or in smaller portions - there are different ways of dividing this up. For example, at Kuonji on Minobusan each of the eight fascicles is divided into four parts, with one of those parts read each day. That way the whole sūtra is read in 32 days.

Or, commonly something called "Yōhon" 要品 may be chanted - which is a selection of important chapters.

Gassho.
Seishin
Former staff member

Post by Seishin »

I had read somewhere, a long time ago now that I can't remember where, that Nichiren schools chant the Hokke senbo. Is this true Kanse-san?
KanseCapon

Post by KanseCapon »

Seishin wrote:I had read somewhere, a long time ago now that I can't remember where, that Nichiren schools chant the Hokke senbo. Is this true Kanse-san?
Hello Seishin Shonin,

The Hokke Senbo Service is practised in Nichiren Shu (I don't know about other schools - I'd assume not in the Shoretsu lineages) at some temples, monthly in some, less frequently in others.

I'm not sure if it's the same as the Hokke Senbo practised within Tendai Shu, or whether it's different...

You can see some of the elements involved listed on this CD cover: http://daisogon.co.jp/syouhinn/cd/cd_senpou.htm

Gassho,
Kanse.
Seishin
Former staff member

Post by Seishin »

Thanks Kanse san. Taking a quick look, it looks almost identical. I noticed the kanji differs slightly. Do you know if there is anything on YouTube for this? It will be interesting to see whether the shomyo is similar. I'd guess it is different, but would still be interesting to compare. Thanks again.

And Seishin is fine :-)
Gassho
KanseCapon

Post by KanseCapon »

Seishin wrote:Thanks Kanse san. Taking a quick look, it looks almost identical. I noticed the kanji differs slightly. Do you know if there is anything on YouTube for this? It will be interesting to see whether the shomyo is similar. I'd guess it is different, but would still be interesting to compare. Thanks again.

And Seishin is fine :-)
Gassho
Nothing on YouTube as far as I can see, I'm afraid.

Yes a few differences in terminology - 三宝礼 seems to be called 三礼/帰依三宝 in Tendai Shu, and Tendai Shu has 十方念仏 where Nichiren Shu has 十方礼仏.

By the way, I noticed that in the Tendai Shu Hokke Senbo that is on YouTube https://youtu.be/vX_K8c_eLN0?t=1m34s they chant the Heart Sutra (Hannya Shingyo)...do you know if that is common?...it seems strange to chant the Heart Sutra as part of a Lotus Sutra Repentance Ceremony.

Gassho
Seishin
Former staff member

Post by Seishin »

KanseCapon wrote: Yes a few differences in terminology - 三宝礼 seems to be called 三礼/帰依三宝 in Tendai Shu, and Tendai Shu has 十方念仏 where Nichiren Shu has 十方礼仏.

By the way, I noticed that in the Tendai Shu Hokke Senbo that is on YouTube https://youtu.be/vX_K8c_eLN0?t=1m34s they chant the Heart Sutra (Hannya Shingyo)...do you know if that is common?...it seems strange to chant the Heart Sutra as part of a Lotus Sutra Repentance Ceremony.

Gassho
Whilst strictly speaking its not part of the Hokke Senbo, it is a very popular Sutra to chant in the Tendai Shu. As the video is a "performance" for an audience (possibly a specific audience but I can't be sure), I think they have taken a somewhat artistic licence for the sake of the audience and/or occasion.

Gassho
KanseCapon

Post by KanseCapon »

Seishin wrote: Whilst strictly speaking its not part of the Hokke Senbo, it is a very popular Sutra to chant in the Tendai Shu. As the video is a "performance" for an audience (possibly a specific audience but I can't be sure), I think they have taken a somewhat artistic licence for the sake of the audience and/or occasion.

Gassho
Ok thanks, understood.
Gassho.

Return to “Nichiren”