TNH Heart and Diamond Sutra

Forum for discussion of East Asian Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Nicholas2727

TNH Heart and Diamond Sutra

Post by Nicholas2727 »

I have been interested in studying the Heart and Diamond Sutra and wondered how TNH translations and commentaries are? His book "the diamond that cuts through illusion" and "the heart of understanding" seem to be popular, although I wanted some other opinions on if this is a good place to start. I have always enjoyed TNH style, which is another reason I was interested in starting with these. If anyone has a different suggestion please let me know.
karmanyingpo

Re: TNH Heart and Diamond Sutra

Post by karmanyingpo »

Nicholas2727 wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:40 am I have been interested in studying the Heart and Diamond Sutra and wondered how TNH translations and commentaries are? His book "the diamond that cuts through illusion" and "the heart of understanding" seem to be popular, although I wanted some other opinions on if this is a good place to start. I have always enjoyed TNH style, which is another reason I was interested in starting with these. If anyone has a different suggestion please let me know.
Personally I am a fan of his work from what I have read so far although I have not read his versions of the sutras.

Some people complain that he is too watered down.
Others astutely point out that what he teaches to a general Western audience is different than what he teaches to Buddhist practitioners.

Based on what I have read of his books I think that he is extremely skillful. I do not think that what he teaches even in his books geared toward a more general audience are necessarily "wrong" or made up, but rather presented in a unique and innovative way to reach people who might find the original presentation harder to deal with.

YMMV and who knows, maybe my impression based on the book/articles I read last year would not be the same as the impression I would get now revisiting those writings or reading other works of his..

KN
ma lu dzok pe san gye thop par shok!
Nicholas2727

Post by Nicholas2727 »

karmanyingpo wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:49 am
Nicholas2727 wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:40 am I have been interested in studying the Heart and Diamond Sutra and wondered how TNH translations and commentaries are? His book "the diamond that cuts through illusion" and "the heart of understanding" seem to be popular, although I wanted some other opinions on if this is a good place to start. I have always enjoyed TNH style, which is another reason I was interested in starting with these. If anyone has a different suggestion please let me know.
Personally I am a fan of his work from what I have read so far although I have not read his versions of the sutras.

Some people complain that he is too watered down.
Others astutely point out that what he teaches to a general Western audience is different than what he teaches to Buddhist practitioners.

Based on what I have read of his books I think that he is extremely skillful. I do not think that what he teaches even in his books geared toward a more general audience are necessarily "wrong" or made up, but rather presented in a unique and innovative way to reach people who might find the original presentation harder to deal with.

YMMV and who knows, maybe my impression based on the book/articles I read last year would not be the same as the impression I would get now revisiting those writings or reading other works of his..

KN
I have felt the same way about him and his teachings. When I first came across him I felt that it was a bit watered down, although after hearing some of his deeper teachings and reading some other material from him I could see a difference. I have always been curious how the monastics in his tradition are trained, since some give talks that seem watered down for Western audiences, yet others share true dharma.
Budai

Post by Budai »

I have read it, it’s a quick read, if you read it and follow the instructions you will understand the Diamond Sutra :smile: .

Return to “East Asian Buddhism”