Venerable Dhammadipa Czech

Forum for discussion of East Asian Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Nicholas2727

Venerable Dhammadipa Czech

Post by Nicholas2727 »

I have been listening to talks by Venerable Dhammadipa on his website and youtube and they truly connect with me. He often refers to himself as someone who has studied and was shaped by the Chinese tradition, although his style seems much different than Chan teachers I have listened to. Does anyone know what type of Chinese Buddhism he is or what he has studied? I looked up some information about him and he was ordained at Hsi Lai Temple (part of the Fo Guang Shan school) but I am not sure if his teaching style matches the teaching style at Fo Guang Shan. I would love to find more teachers like him, so anyone with more information would help!
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Re: Venerable Dhammadipa Czech

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

Nicholas2727 wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:29 pm I have been listening to talks by Venerable Dhammadipa on his website and youtube and they truly connect with me. He often refers to himself as someone who has studied and was shaped by the Chinese tradition, although his style seems much different than Chan teachers I have listened to. Does anyone know what type of Chinese Buddhism he is or what he has studied? I looked up some information about him and he was ordained at Hsi Lai Temple (part of the Fo Guang Shan school) but I am not sure if his teaching style matches the teaching style at Fo Guang Shan. I would love to find more teachers like him, so anyone with more information would help!
Venerable Dhammadipa has studied basically under all traditions. If I am correct he started as a theravadin and then moved to chinese chen, but also probably took teachings from tibetan traditions as he taught meditation on Sakya Monlam few years back.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

Nicholas2727 wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:29 pm I have been listening to talks by Venerable Dhammadipa on his website and youtube and they truly connect with me. He often refers to himself as someone who has studied and was shaped by the Chinese tradition, although his style seems much different than Chan teachers I have listened to. Does anyone know what type of Chinese Buddhism he is or what he has studied? I looked up some information about him and he was ordained at Hsi Lai Temple (part of the Fo Guang Shan school) but I am not sure if his teaching style matches the teaching style at Fo Guang Shan. I would love to find more teachers like him, so anyone with more information would help!
I am not sure anybody here will be able to answer your question, but if you want you can probably contact him, he knows english. Or if you want I can translate it for you into Czech.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
Nicholas2727

Post by Nicholas2727 »

Könchok Thrinley wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:22 pm
I am not sure anybody here will be able to answer your question, but if you want you can probably contact him, he knows english. Or if you want I can translate it for you into Czech.
Yes, I am not sure if anyone will be able to answer my questions exactly so maybe it is best to contact him directly. I know his facebook and website are run by his disciples but possibly they will know. If I run into any language barriers I will contact you for help, thank you for that kind offer.
SilenceMonkey

Post by SilenceMonkey »

Nicholas2727 wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:19 pm
Yes, I am not sure if anyone will be able to answer my questions exactly so maybe it is best to contact him directly. I know his facebook and website are run by his disciples but possibly they will know. If I run into any language barriers I will contact you for help, thank you for that kind offer.
I know a few of his students. He is a Chan monk who studied Tiantai and Theravada as well. I believe he also knows some chinese medicine and teaches some qigong exercises for health purposes. More recently, he also became a student of HH Sakya Gongma Trichen Rinpoche who requested him to teach at the 7 year program in Nepal. People I've talked to who attended these teachings were very happy to hear someone teach abhidharma and the gradual path up to the tantric teachings from a meditation perspective, which seems rare in the Tibetan world.

I think talking with his students is a good idea. From what I hear, he is difficult to get a hold of.
Nicholas2727

Post by Nicholas2727 »

SilenceMonkey wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:29 am
Nicholas2727 wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:19 pm

I know a few of his students. He is a Chan monk who studied Tiantai and Theravada as well. I believe he also knows some chinese medicine and teaches some qigong exercises for health purposes. More recently, he also became a student of HH Sakya Gongma Trichen Rinpoche who requested him to teach at the 7 year program in Nepal. People I've talked to who attended these teachings were very happy to hear someone teach abhidharma and the gradual path up to the tantric teachings from a meditation perspective, which seems rare in the Tibetan world.

I think talking with his students is a good idea. From what I hear, he is difficult to get a hold of.
I believe he was also ordained in the Soto lineage prior to becoming a Theravada monk. Its truly amazing how much knowledge he has about each tradition and its great he is leaning about tantra now too. I do understand that he is a Chan monk, although what's interesting to me is how he does not come off as conventional Chan. His meditation focus is on the Northern tradition of shamatha and vipashyana, no hua tou or silent illumination from what I have heard. He also focuses a lot on study in abhidharma and yogacara, which I am sure there is some in Chan although he seems to dive deeper in his talks. I will be contacting his students to learn more about his style and to see where he fits in Chinese Buddhism. Like I mentioned he was ordained in the Fo Guang Shan organization, although I am not sure how they relate to his style of teaching.

Return to “East Asian Buddhism”