Scholar masters from Vietnam and Korea

Forum for discussion of East Asian Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Nicholas2727

Scholar masters from Vietnam and Korea

Post by Nicholas2727 »

I have noticed that Chinese and Tibetan Buddhism have a large resource of scholarly writings from great masters and learned scholars. A lot of these texts are still studied today and offer great insight into the path. I rarely hear about any great masters from Vietnam or Korea, so I was wondering if anyone has knowledge about some that are considered influential and studied to this day? Or are many of the texts from great masters in China studied in these countries?
Svalaksana

Re: Scholar masters from Vietnam and Korea

Post by Svalaksana »

Interestingly, this question has been floating in my head for the past couple of weeks. In regards to Korea, there are plentiful translations from many scholars and masters such as Chinul, Wonhyo, Taego and So Sahn. I can provide you the titles of the books tomorrow if you'd like.

Nevertheless, the question on my part laid more on the Vietnamese side, for which there seems to be indeed a scarcity of sources and English translations. Any info on this subject would be highly appreciated.

Would be nice to learn of similar sources from Nepal, Bhutan, Mongolia, Malaysia, and other areas where Mahayana managed to reach and take roots.
Looking but not seeing - that's my eye.
Thinking but not minding - that's my mind.
Speaking but not expressing - that's my tongue.
Traveling but not going - that's my path.
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

Manjushri wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:59 am Nevertheless, the question on my part laid more on the Vietnamese side, for which there seems to be indeed a scarcity of sources and English translations. Any info on this subject would be highly appreciated.
The situation re Vietnam must be heavily affected by its colonial and post-colonial history. In particular I would expect that translations before about 1940 would be overwhelmingly into French, and that there wouldn't be many at all from then until the mid-70s because of the wars (plural - this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Indochina_War is the one most of us didn't know much about).
And after the 1970s, the Vietnamese were picking up the pieces of broken institutions, under a government which wasn't particularly sympathetic to religion.
:thinking:
Bottom line: look for old French translations.

:namaste:
Kim
Svalaksana

Post by Svalaksana »

Thanks Kim. When I was younger I was pretty much fluent in French. At the moment I'm lucky if I'm able to even greet or introduce myself. Perhaps it's time to clean-up some of those cobwebs.

As for the response to Nicholas, here are some of the books you should check if you're interested in Korean Buddhism:

Wonhyo's Philosophy of Mind

Cultivating Original Enlightenment : Wonhyo's Exposition of the Vajrasamadhi-Sutra (Kumgang Sammaegyong Non)

Don't - Know Mind : The Spirit Of Korean Zen

The Buddha from Korea: The Zen Teachings of T'aego

Tracing Back the Radiance: Chinul's Korean Way of Zen

The Korean Approach to Zen: The Collected Works of Chinul

Chinul: The Founder of the Korean Sŏn Tradition

Also make sure to check the Korean Classics Library editions by the University of Hawai'i Press.
Looking but not seeing - that's my eye.
Thinking but not minding - that's my mind.
Speaking but not expressing - that's my tongue.
Traveling but not going - that's my path.

Return to “East Asian Buddhism”