Buddhāvataṃsaka Reflections

Forum for discussion of East Asian Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
SilenceMonkey

Re: Buddhāvataṃsaka Reflections

Post by SilenceMonkey »

Caoimhghín wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:17 am
I adapted some of the Cleary translation and the Ven Cheng Chien translation after looking at the Chinese into a little quaint reflection piece: "If you see a river, pray that beings gain entrance into the stream and into the ocean of wisdom. If you see a reservoir, pray that beings swiftly taste the one taste of the Dharma. If you see a pond, pray that beings become great in locution and skillful in preaching. If you see a well, pray that beings draw deep from the well of reason to disclose all dharmas. If you see a spring, pray that beings have inexhaustible roots of virtue. If you see a bridge, pray that beings carry all across to safety, as via a bridge. If you see a waterfall, pray that all beings cleanse the stains of delusion." So sentimental, my eyes water (not really). That isn't the sutra-section though verbatim, just an adaption.
I love this chapter. In chinese tradition, it is taught to novice monks and nuns as a form of mahayana mind training. Thich Nhat Hanh's gathas are also in this tradition... so beautiful :anjali:
FiveSkandhas

Post by FiveSkandhas »

I have read some of the Cleary translation and tried to read some of the Chinese to the best of my very limited ability.

One can't be too hard on Cleary. He was a pioneer; a lot of the now-standard English translation vocabulary and tone simply didn't exist when he was working on the Sutra in the 70s.

Sometimes I am suspicious of his alleged prowess in classical Chinese and Medieval Japanese, though. Harvard PhD or no, it takes a lifetime to master either, to say nothing of both.
"One should cultivate contemplation in one’s foibles. The foibles are like fish, and contemplation is like fishing hooks. If there are no fish, then the fishing hooks have no use. The bigger the fish is, the better the result we will get. As long as the fishing hooks keep at it, all foibles will eventually be contained and controlled at will." -Zhiyi

"Just be kind." -Atisha
SilenceMonkey

Post by SilenceMonkey »

There was a famous conversation (in the video below) between Meng-ts'an 夢參老和尚 and Nan Huai Chin 南懷瑾, where Nan Huai Chin was extolling the benefits of fasting for spiritual practice and Meng-ts'an said something along the lines of "That's very nice... but you should really read Avatamsaka Sutra. It will make your understanding more vast and miraculous."

Meng-Ts'an was one of the great masters of chinese buddhism who passed away a few years ago, though it seems not much is known about him in the west. When he was a young monk in Beijing, he studied Tibetan Dharma with a lama at Yonghegong (the lama temple in beijing) and soon went to tibet for a few years. He also studied under Tz'u-chou, Hsu-yun, and Hung-yi in chinese traditions. He was imprisoned by the CCP and spent 33 years in prison, 18 years doing hard labor. When he came back to society, he became a great teacher on Wutai Shan and is famous for his teachings on Avatamsaka Sutra. It's said that when he passed away, there were rainbows above his monastery. Some people took video, but the monastery issued a statement saying not to believe these videos, as there are many fake videos going around in china. All in all, he was a great master of Chinese buddhism and a close friend of Master Sheng Yen.
tkp67

Post by tkp67 »

Queequeg wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:09 pm He ought to start by understanding his own professed path.
If I lack understanding simply reveal it. It should be painlessly simply at your level of study and wherewithal.

The thought that Buddhahood is to be perceived outside of the moment and external to one's own life is not what this sutra nor what Nichiren intended.

This is easy top establish and not difficult to conceive. It does put one in the driver seat of their own lives, the cause and effect that is result and of their thoughts and actions without delegation to any other entity or agency. Since one is already in that position it is nothing but delusion to put off taking ownership or delegating it to anyone else.

Attempting to master provision is looking at the pool without jumping in. There is nothing wrong with I how I carry myself or how I view things according to this tradition. It is simply uncomfortable to those whose value the form of language and specificity of tradition. If I put my efforts into the same thing I wouldn't have a practice I would have a distraction.

I am grateful for my causes, my conditions and my capacities. Every perceived poison and lack works as great medicine to reveal the workings of my own mind leading me to this practice. The suffering of life and death made this possible. Suffering has been turned to medicine and for this gift I have a boundless debt to fulfill.

So please correct me so I might repay my debts but please do so in a meaningful way without alluding to this or that. I tend to put in fair effort to articulate my understanding my own practice.

Return to “East Asian Buddhism”