How to assess local Mahayana groups in the US/Canada?

Forum for discussion of East Asian Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Padmist

How to assess local Mahayana groups in the US/Canada?

Post by Padmist »

When a non-Buddhist American or Canadian (White, Black, Latino) asks for help on finding a local Buddhist group to see, I always point them to Tibetan Buddhist groups. But only because as a Tibetan Buddhist, I understand 'our community'. I could tell which groups are appropriate for someone to see and which groups to warn them of for various reasons such as inauthenticity, cultic or mired with controversies.

The problem with this approach is that while Tibetan Buddhist groups are fine, it is really limiting them on their options when a 'better' 'nearer' 'easier' 'more appropriate' 'more matching' Mahayana sangha is available to them that is not Tibetan Buddhist.

I would like to be able to point these American/Canadian (non-Asian) people to other Mahayana groups. So I would appreciate some general pointers on how to refer people to:

Zen, Chan, Seon, Rinzai, Soto, Thien, Pure Land, Jodo Shin Shu, Tendai, Nichiren, Soka Gakkai/SGI, Nichiren Shu, Nichiren Shoshu, Shingon.

My questions are: Are these groups often offering English services? Are there groups within these traditions that must be avoided? (for sexual abuses reasons, bad leadership, inauthentic dharma, no lineage, etc) Are there groups here that are purely for that native language only. For example, is Seon only Korean? Jodo Shin only Japanese? etc.

Finally, what would be someone's personality type, character, traits that would make them interested / better match with each tradition? For example, when people ask me "I don't like iconography and really hate the esoteric stuff", I immediately refrain from pointing them to Tibetan Buddhism and just tell them to check out local Zen temples. Is there something like that you can say about each school? For example, is Singhon only for people who like esoteric teachings? Is Nichiren for people who want Buddhism-lite (sorry I just read this in another room, someone described it as such), or something?
Virgo

Re: How to assess local Mahayana groups in the US/Canada?

Post by Virgo »

Padmist wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:55 am Are there groups within these traditions that must be avoided? (for sexual abuses reasons, bad leadership, inauthentic dharma, no lineage, etc) Are there groups here that are purely for that native language only. For example, is Seon only Korean? Jodo Shin only Japanese? etc.
I think this is the best/ most important part of your question. You can point people in any direction but in the end the shoe will only fit if they have a karmic connection. It's not bad to point people in a certain direction, but nothing will stick unless they have the karma to continue being with that group or tradition. However, if they are somehow attracted to a negative group, a warning may be just what they need to help them avoid a disaster.
Padmist wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:55 am Finally, what would be someone's personality type, character, traits that would make them interested / better match with each tradition? For example, when people ask me "I don't like iconography and really hate the esoteric stuff", I immediately refrain from pointing them to Tibetan Buddhism and just tell them to check out local Zen temples. Is there something like that you can say about each school? For example, is Singhon only for people who like esoteric teachings? Is Nichiren for people who want Buddhism-lite (sorry I just read this in another room, someone described it as such), or something?
Virgo

Return to “East Asian Buddhism”