Risshū/Ritsu school

Forum for discussion of East Asian Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Terataimistik

Risshū/Ritsu school

Post by Terataimistik »

I think this is the right place to post this... I'm particularly interested in the Risshū/Ritsu school of Buddhism in Japan, and the life of the Chinese monk Jianzhen (Ganjin in Japanese). I found a couple of books, one is "The Essentials of the Vinaya Tradition", the other "The Essentials of the Eight Traditions", both by Gyōnen, and translated in to English by Leo M. Pruden (published by BDK and available for free PDF download on their website), the latter book has a chapter on the Risshū school...I'd be very interested in hearing from anyone with knowledge of or interest in these topics.
Another related question concerns Tōshōdai-ji in Nara, it is a temple of the Risshū school, does anyone know if it is still has monks following the Vinaya? Thanks for any responses.
Kajmak383

Re: Risshū/Ritsu school

Post by Kajmak383 »

I'm interested in it too, because AFAIK it's the only school that retains a vinaya tradition. But unfortunately, I think there is only a single temple in Japan, that declares itself as a Ritsu temple: Toshodai-ji in Nara, since the other temples were converted into Shingon ones. In fact very few temples in Japan still go by the denomination "Shingon Risshu".

Return to “East Asian Buddhism”