The doctrinal establishment of a Chinese Buddhism: TianTai and HuaYan schoools

Forum for discussion of East Asian Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Caoimhghín

Re: The doctrinal establishment of a Chinese Buddhism: TianTai and HuaYan schoools

Post by Caoimhghín »

Rory wrote:#beingtagged
I want to apologize. I said something stupid and perhaps inadverdently hurtful. I said it here:
It's all because of that cursèd Jacqueline Stone and her terrible, horrible, no good, very bad book called Original Enlightenment in which she mangles the Mahāyānaśraddhotpādaśāstra.

Rory said something based on a passage in it. Then DGA called her out on it and said this is a terrible book (my phrasing, he said nothing of the sort). Thomaslaw picked it up and has been running with it since.
This was not something nice to say. "Called her out on it" is a) putting undue words and intention behind DGA and expressing a negative appraisal of Rory's past forum posting for the sake of a quick post, and B) likely re-bringing up something bad, some irrelevant drama from DharmaWheel's past.

In addition, it is painting Rory as some kind of naïve dharma-n00b, something that she is demonstrably absolutely not. I shouldn't have phrased it that way, and I apologize. The thread is now unlocked, and shenanigans are unlikely, the moderators have informed me.

I would very much like that it continue it's more informative aspects and have less of its amusing ones.
Then, the monks uttered this gāthā:

These bodies are like foam.
Them being frail, who can rejoice in them?
The Buddha attained the vajra-body.
Still, it becomes inconstant and ruined.
The many Buddhas are vajra-entities.
All are also subject to inconstancy.
Quickly ended, like melting snow --
how could things be different?

The Buddha passed into parinirvāṇa afterward.
(T1.27b10 Mahāparinirvāṇasūtra DĀ 2)
thomaslaw

Re: The doctrinal establishment of a Chinese Buddhism: TianTai and HuaYan schoools

Post by thomaslaw »

Queequeg wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:12 am "A fox is basically a dog." :buddha1:
Remember to practice 'right speech' :buddha1: :buddha2:

Return to “East Asian Buddhism”