Changing tradition and Guru yoga

Vajradhara

Changing tradition and Guru yoga

Post by Vajradhara »

Hello everyone,

I found myself changing tradition and i fear my practice of guru yoga could be weaken by this. I still keep the samayas and vows taken with my previous guru but i didn't speak about my change with them.

Do you know how to manage this situation? Should i retake the initiation with the tradition i'm following right now?

Thank you :thanks:
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Re: Changing tradition and Guru yoga

Post by Schrödinger’s Yidam »

There might be slight differences in the practice between traditions. I’m told minor variations in mudras, implements, and sadhanas can be important within the context of a system (lineage) of practices. So it’s possibly advantageous to take another initiation for the same practice.
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Vajradhara wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:29 pm Hello everyone,

I found myself changing tradition and i fear my practice of guru yoga could be weaken by this. I still keep the samayas and vows taken with my previous guru but i didn't speak about my change with them.

Do you know how to manage this situation? Should i retake the initiation with the tradition i'm following right now?

Unify all gurus in one guruyoga.
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Malcolm wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:14 pm

:good:
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
kausalya

Post by kausalya »

Vajradhara wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:29 pm I still keep the samayas and vows taken with my previous guru but i didn't speak about my change with them.

Is there a reason why you aren’t talking to your current guru about the change? Unless there is a very good reason not to, don’t be afraid to talk to them.

The best scenario is to get their “permission” for this—not because you can’t make your own decisions, but because the best way to honour your guru is with your honesty. Ideally, they should also respect your decision.

Please, don’t fall into the trap of keeping things from your guru when you don’t have to. If they question you, you should see it that they want to make sure you’re going to be in good hands.
"For as long as space remains,
For as long as sentient beings remain,
Until then may I too remain
To dispel the miseries of the world."
(Shantideva)
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

kausalya wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:33 pm
Vajradhara wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:29 pm I still keep the samayas and vows taken with my previous guru but i didn't speak about my change with them.

Is there a reason why you aren’t talking to your current guru about the change? Unless there is a very good reason not to, don’t be afraid to talk to them.

The best scenario is to get their “permission” for this—not because you can’t make your own decisions, but because the best way to honour your guru is with your honesty. Ideally, they should also respect your decision.

Please, don’t fall into the trap of keeping things from your guru when you don’t have to. If they question you, you should see it that they want to make sure you’re going to be in good hands.
It is possible to have good reasons not to talk to the person one has been following so far.
Hazel
Former staff member

Post by Hazel »

Ayu wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:40 pm
kausalya wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:33 pm

It is possible to have good reasons not to talk to the person one has been following so far.
:good:

It's important to recognize that there are scenarios where someone is trying to leave a harmful situation and further engaging with it is not only a bad idea, but dangerous to someone's spiritual wellbeing. Some of these scenarios are tricky to talk about publicly.

I recently had to leave a teacher after certain revelations. How I handled it was to have compassion for the situation he found himself in, but also recognize I need to do what's best for my spiritual well being. I treasure the lessons I learned from him that improved my life and look forward to learning new ones from someone else.
Happy Pride month to my queer dharma siblings!

What do you see when you turn out the lights?
Vajradhara

Post by Vajradhara »

Do you mean to look at everyone as an emanation of Vajradhara?
Vajradhara

Post by Vajradhara »

Schrödinger’s Yidam wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:11 pm There might be slight differences in the practice between traditions. I’m told minor variations in mudras, implements, and sadhanas can be important within the context of a system (lineage) of practices. So it’s possibly advantageous to take another initiation for the same practice.
So you suggest continuing to hold as root guru the one you received initiation from and then, when the time is right, to get another initiation with the new lineage?
Tata1

Post by Tata1 »

Vajradhara wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:19 pm
Schrödinger’s Yidam wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:11 pm There might be slight differences in the practice between traditions. I’m told minor variations in mudras, implements, and sadhanas can be important within the context of a system (lineage) of practices. So it’s possibly advantageous to take another initiation for the same practice.
So you suggest continuing to hold as root guru the one you received initiation from and then, when the time is right, to get another initiation with the new lineage?
One does not "choose" a root guru
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Vajradhara wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:19 pm
You can have.many gurus, of many traditions. It’s a good idea to keep your samayas with them.
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

Schrödinger’s Yidam wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:38 pm
Vajradhara wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:19 pm So you suggest continuing to hold as root guru the one you received initiation from and then, when the time is right, to get another initiation with the new lineage?
You can have.many gurus, of many traditions. It’s a good idea to keep your samayas with them.
Hello Vajradhara,

I think in your case this is the very best advice:
Malcolm wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:14 pm Unify all gurus in one guruyoga.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Vajradhara wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:00 pm

I mean that you visualize Vajradhara, and you understand that Vajradhara embodies all of your gurus.

Unify all gurus in one guru yoga.
Vajradhara

Post by Vajradhara »

Malcolm wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:34 pm
Vajradhara wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:00 pm

I mean that you visualize Vajradhara, and you understand that Vajradhara embodies all of your gurus.

Unify all gurus in one guru yoga.
Thank you :)

Return to “Gelug”