FPMT's Daily Shakyamuni Meditation: self-generation without empowerment?

Constructelf

FPMT's Daily Shakyamuni Meditation: self-generation without empowerment?

Post by Constructelf »

So I'm reviewing my collection of FPMT texts, and I'm currently looking over A Daily Meditation on Shakyamuni Buddha. The note on the inside cover says that "Anyone can do this practice. No prerequisites are necessary." However, at the Absorption stage of the text, the instructions are to visualize Shakyamuni absorbing into you, and then to "arise in the aspect of Buddha", which I thought you weren't supposed to do for deity practices if you don't have an empowerment for that specific deity. Similar texts from the FPMT like the Everflowing Nectar of Bodhicitta (Thousand-Armed Chenrezig) and the Short Practice of Green Tara specify that you need to have their empowerments to self-generate as them; if you don't, then you're supposed to visualize them in front of you or above your head. Similar warnings are given for the rest of their deity texts that don't require empowerment to practice. Is Shakyamuni an exception to this rule, or was this just something that slipped past the FPMT's editing team?
Ayu
Global Moderator

Re: FPMT's Daily Shakyamuni Meditation: self-generation without empowerment?

Post by Ayu »

I can only guess. I don't think these items slipped past the editing team, because it's an essential point about sadhanas.
I rather imagine that Lama Zopa explicitly allowed publishing it like this. The reason why can only be answered definitely by the FPMT website team. It would be great, if you could ask there and tell us their explanation.
jmlee369

Post by jmlee369 »

Constructelf wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 5:57 am So I'm reviewing my collection of FPMT texts, and I'm currently looking over A Daily Meditation on Shakyamuni Buddha. The note on the inside cover says that "Anyone can do this practice. No prerequisites are necessary." However, at the Absorption stage of the text, the instructions are to visualize Shakyamuni absorbing into you, and then to "arise in the aspect of Buddha", which I thought you weren't supposed to do for deity practices if you don't have an empowerment for that specific deity. Similar texts from the FPMT like the Everflowing Nectar of Bodhicitta (Thousand-Armed Chenrezig) and the Short Practice of Green Tara specify that you need to have their empowerments to self-generate as them; if you don't, then you're supposed to visualize them in front of you or above your head. Similar warnings are given for the rest of their deity texts that don't require empowerment to practice. Is Shakyamuni an exception to this rule, or was this just something that slipped past the FPMT's editing team?
An exception is made allowing anyone to self-generate as Shakyamuni Buddha in the context of certain practices, this is based on the advice of one of Kyabje Zopa Rinpoche's gurus (I forget who exactly, possibly Serkong Tsenshab Rinpoche). I can't remember my source for this though.
zerwe

Post by zerwe »

If I remember correctly, this practice is front-generation.

Shaun :namaste:
Constructelf

Post by Constructelf »

I sent them an email and this was their response:
Me: In A Daily Meditation on Shakyamuni Buddha, the note on the inside cover says that "Anyone can do this practice. No prerequisites are
necessary." However, at the Absorption stage of the text, the instructions are to visualize Shakyamuni absorbing into you, and then to "arise in the aspect of Buddha", which I thought you weren't supposed to do for deity practices if you don't have an empowerment for that specific deity. Am I reading the text correctly in that there is self-generation as part of the mantra recitation and absorption stages? Somebody else told me that one of Lama Zopa Rinpoche's gurus taught him that it is permitted for anybody to self-generate as Shakyamuni Buddha for certain practices, regardless of whatever
empowerments they may have. The notes in The Method to Transform a Suffering Life into Happiness (Including Enlightenment) with Additional Practices say something similar with regards to the Blessing the Speech section, citing Denma Locho Rinpoche. Is this correct?

FPMT: Correct. From the commentaries of The Method: Lama Zopa Rinpoche, citing Denma Locho Rinpoche, says that in this particular context, even if one hasn’t received a great empowerment in either the lower or higher tantras, one can visualize oneself as Shakyamuni Buddha. However, in general, one should have received the initiation of a particular deity in order to be permitted to generate oneself as that deity.
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

:thumbsup: That makes sense.

Return to “Gelug”