Protector Practice in Gelug

tony_montana

Protector Practice in Gelug

Post by tony_montana »

From what I understand, Je Tsongkhapa recommended reliance upon three protectors: Kalarupa, Shadbhuja Mahakala and Vaishravana. Does this mean that people who have taken the empowerment of Highest Yoga Tantra deities such as Vajra-Bhairava Yamantaka, Vajrayogini etc in the Gelug tradition can propitiate these three protectors with their mantras as there is a link established -- or is an initiation into these protector's practices necessary despite having a anuttara-yoga-tantra initiation in the Gelug lineage.

Especially for Six-armed Mahakala and Kalarupa, would empowerment into Vajrabhairava and Vajrayogini automatically authorize the practice of their mantras?
Ayu
Global Moderator

Re: Protector Practice in Gelug

Post by Ayu »

I'm not sure how it is in general, but as far as I understand a main empowerment into e.g.Vajrabhairava is the base for the validity of following initiations. But I don't think there is something like automatically authorizing. I believe you need an initiation into protector practices.
But maybe it depends on what the regarding lama says.
zerwe

Post by zerwe »

I would ask, but I am pretty sure it is ok to say the protector prayers. Now to formally engage in the protector practices you need initiation (jenang), lung, commentary, etc...

Shaun :namaste:
Last edited by zerwe on Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zerwe

Post by zerwe »

tony_montana wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:01 pm From what I understand, Je Tsongkhapa recommended reliance upon three protectors: Kalarupa, Shadbhuja Mahakala and Vaishravana.
Vajrabhairava also includes Palden Lhamo as well.

Shaun :namaste:

Return to “Gelug”