Great Medicine Buddha sadhana - different than the "regular" one?

Brunelleschi

Great Medicine Buddha sadhana - different than the "regular" one?

Post by Brunelleschi »

Hi all,

I received the Great Medicine Buddha initiation some time ago. Is the sadhana for this different than the "regular" Medicine Buddha sadhana provided by FPMT? The FPMT one does not require initiation and does not really have self-generation, rather you vizualise the deity on top of you, etcetera.
practitioner

Re: Great Medicine Buddha sadhana - different than the "regular" one?

Post by practitioner »

There are a few Medicine Buddha sadhanas out there from different traditions. That said they are not different deities, it’s all the same Medicine Buddha.
One should do nothing other than benefit sentient beings either directly or indirectly - Shantideva
Brunelleschi

Post by Brunelleschi »

practitioner wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:43 am There are a few Medicine Buddha sadhanas out there from different traditions. That said they are not different deities, it’s all the same Medicine Buddha.
Hi,

Thanks for replying. Yes, that's not what I meant. I meant if the sadhana for the "Great Medicine Buddha", which includes all 8 aspects of Medicine Buddha and according to my understanding is a different class of Tantra (i.e. not Kriya), is different than the "regular" sadhana (e.g. from FPMT) which you can purchase and use without initiation: https://shop.fpmt.org/Medicine-Buddha-S ... _3071.html

Do you know if this is the case?
jmlee369

Post by jmlee369 »

Brunelleschi wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:57 pm Hi all,

I received the Great Medicine Buddha initiation some time ago. Is the sadhana for this different than the "regular" Medicine Buddha sadhana provided by FPMT? The FPMT one does not require initiation and does not really have self-generation, rather you vizualise the deity on top of you, etcetera.
Yes, it is different from the common Medicine Buddha practices because it involves the generation of the complete 51 deity Medicine Buddha mandala with yourself as the central deity as noted here and here. It is still a kriya tantra practice.

EDIT:
I should also mention, there are lineages of initiation (jenang) and sadhana for the solitary Medicine Buddha, then separate initiations and sadhanas for the seven Medicine Buddhas, and finally a whole different level of initiation (wangchen) and sadhana for the complete Medicine Buddha 51 deity mandala practice.
Brunelleschi

Post by Brunelleschi »

jmlee369 wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:04 am
Brunelleschi wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:57 pm Hi all,

Yes, it is different from the common Medicine Buddha practices because it involves the generation of the complete 51 deity Medicine Buddha mandala with yourself as the central deity as noted here and here. It is still a kriya tantra practice.

EDIT:
I should also mention, there are lineages of initiation (jenang) and sadhana for the solitary Medicine Buddha, then separate initiations and sadhanas for the seven Medicine Buddhas, and finally a whole different level of initiation (wangchen) and sadhana for the complete Medicine Buddha 51 deity mandala practice.
Hi, thanks for the clarification.

Right, it's Kriya Tantra - my mistake.

Ok, I sent an email to FPMT asking about the proper sadhana. This was back in 2017.

Thanks again.

Return to “Gelug”