Bhikshuni Lakshmi Avalokiteshvara lineage

Volan

Bhikshuni Lakshmi Avalokiteshvara lineage

Post by Volan »

There is a mainstream sadhana in the "Nyung Nä: The Means of Achievement of the Eleven-Face Great Compassionate One by the Seventh Dalai Lama"

Also "The Self-generation Sadhana of Avalokiteshvara":
https://www.lamayeshe.com/article/yoga- ... compassion

There is a lineage prayer that starts from Bhikshuni Lakshmi and ends with Kälsang Gyatso, the seventh Dalai Lama:
2. Excellent Bhikshuni Lakshmi, gone to the stage of supreme liberation,
Chandra Kumara, who favored the five sciences,
Jnanabhadra, strong in patience, effort and faith,
I supplicate you three friends of sentient beings.
10. I supplicate Ngawang Chogdän, embodiment of the glorious,
Who partook of the supreme wisdom of Manjushri, the five-knotted lord of speech,
And Kälsang Gyatso, the seventh Dalai Lama,
Who clarified the doctrines of scripture and realization of the good eon’s fourth guide,
Lord Shakyamuni Buddha.
Any info about the lineage after the seventh Dalai Lama? Between him and His Holiness who is the present Dalai Lama?
Ayu
Global Moderator

Re: Bhikshuni Lakshmi Avalokiteshvara lineage

Post by Ayu »

Most probably the lineage ends there, because the sadhana is so old.
How the lineage proceeds you have to look up in other modern Sadhanas.
The exact row of masters depends completely on the lineage you are asking for. Looks rather like a trees branches with many tiny branches at the end.
Therefore it depends on which tiny branch you are asking for.
Volan

Post by Volan »

Some information from the following books:
“The Jewel-garland Biography of the 97th Gaden Throne Holder Kyabje Yongzin Ling Rinpoche” by the 14th Dalai Lama, Wisdom Publications
“The Magical Play of Illusion” by Trijang Rinpoche, Wisdom Publications

His Holiness The 14th Dalai Lama has received this empowerment from Ling Rinpoche sometime around in 1950 during his stay at Dromo, Tibet’s southern border between Sikkim and Bhutan.

“The Jewel-garland Biography of the 97th Gaden Throne Holder Kyabje Yongzin Ling Rinpoche”:
As preparation for my retreats on single-deity Vajrabhairava, Eleven-Face Avalokiteśvara, and the inner practice of protector Kālarūpa, Rinpoché kindly gave me the initiations again, as well as teachings on the visualization procedures and so on.
“The Magical Play of Illusion” by Trijang Rinpoche:
While residing in Dromo, His Holiness observed an approaching retreat on the root mantra of single-deity Vajrabhairava, an
approaching retreat of the Great Compassionate One according to the Lakṣmī tradition, and a retreat on the inner sādhana of Dharmarāja, for
which I served as his assistant.
Ling Rinpoche has received this empowerment from Phabongkha Rinpoché at Yerpa Monastery in the fire-rabbit year of 1927.

“The Jewel-garland Biography of the 97th Gaden Throne Holder Kyabje Yongzin Ling Rinpoche”:
After the teachings on the stages of the path, and with teachings on Aśvaghoṣa’s Fifty Verses on the Guru as a preliminary, Rinpoché received initiations into the thirty-two-deity Akṣobhyavajra mandala of the Ārya tradition of Guhyasamāja, the five-deity outer mandala of the Cakrasaṃvara Ghaṇṭapāda tradition, the thirteen-deity Vajrabhairava mandala, the thirty-seven-deity Vairocana mandala, the nine-deity Akṣobhya mandala, the great initiation of Eleven-Faced Avalokiteśvara of the Bhikṣuṇī Lakṣmī tradition, the permission initiation of the Guhyasamāja, Vajrabhairava, and Cakrasaṃvara mantra formulation, and the initiation of the sixteen drops of the Kadampa.
His Holiness second main guru, Trijang Rinpoche, has also received this empowerment but he doesn`t mention Phabongkha Rinpoche, instead he mentions Buldü Rinpoché.

“The Magical Play of Illusion” by Trijang Rinpoche:
In my fourteenth year, after the Great Prayer Festival in the year of the wood-tiger (1914), Buldü Vajradhara Jetsun Losang Yeshé Tenpai Gyaltsen of Drepung’s Gomang College gave many initiations and teachings in the assembly hall of Kundeling Monastery in Lhasa at the request of Tatsak Hothokthu Rinpoché. Buldü Rinpoché was truly Vajradhara — an allembracing lord of a hundred buddha families who establishes in the minds
of the ocean of living beings whatever paths and fruits of the four bodies of enlightenment in union suit them. He gave full initiations into single-deity
Vajrabhairava, thirteen-deity Vajrabhairava, the Ārya tradition of Akṣobhyavajra Guhyasamāja, the Luipa tradition of sixty-two-deity
Cakrasaṃvara, the Ghaṇṭapāda tradition of five-deity Cakrasaṃvara, and the Great Compassionate One according to the Bhikṣuṇī Lakṣmī tradition, together with preparation, in a painted mandala for each. Other teachings included a discourse on three key points for the yoga of Avalokiteśvara in the Mitrayogin tradition and a discourse on the Nyen Tsembu tradition of Avalokiteśvara yoga.
Meditation retreat by Trijang Rinpoche. “The Magical Play of Illusion” by Trijang Rinpoche:
After completion of the year’s session at the tantric college, I stayed permanently at Chusang, where I spent most of my time attending all the
teachings of Kyabjé Phabongkha Vajradhara. During recesses between discourses, I performed the meditation retreats of the special deities
Vajrayoginī, single-deity and thirteen-deity Vajrabhairava, five-deity Cakrasaṃvara of the Ghaṇṭāpāda tradition, Secret Hayagrīva, and the Great
Compassionate One of the Lakṣmī tradition
So it is possible that he also received it from Phabongkha Rinpoche during this teachings.

Although Trijang Rinpoche was giving this empowerment often, he didn’t mention giving it to His Holiness The 14th Dalai Lama.

So we have this lineage:

Kälsang Gyatso, the seventh Dalai Lama - ? - Phabongkha Rinpoché - Kyabje Yongzin Ling Rinpoche - His Holiness The 14th Dalai Lama.
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

In my Nyung Nä Sadhana (a German translation of the text of the 7th Dalai Lama) the lineage is extended until to the 14th Dalai Lama.

Between the 7th Dalai Lama and Pabongka there are 7 lineage holders.
But the lineage starts differently:
Padmapani (Avalokiteshvara)
(the nun Gelongma) Palmo, who received the first initiation directly,
Chandrakumara
Yeshe Sang
... then 22 lineage holders...
Kälsang Gyatso, 7th Dalai Lama
... 7 lineage holders...
Pabongka Rinpoche,
Yongdsin Ling Rinpoche
Dalai Lama Ngawang Lobsang Tenzin Gyatso

So, this is different than the lineage in the sadhana you have anyhow, isn't it?
ratna

Post by ratna »

HHDL also received this empowerment from Tagdrak Rinpoche, who received it from the Thirteenth Dalai Lama. This lineage doesn't go through Phabongkha. Tagdrak's record of teachings received reports the lineage as follows:

[lineage up to 7th HHDL]
7th HHDL
[someone must be missing here because the dates don't add up]
Panchen Tenpai Nyima (IVth Panchen Lama)
Lozang Tsultrim Jampa Gyatso (3th Phurbuchok R)
13th HHDL
Tagdrak R

R
Volan

Post by Volan »

Ayu wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:51 am In my Nyung Nä Sadhana (a German translation of the text of the 7th Dalai Lama) the lineage is extended until to the 14th Dalai Lama.

Between the 7th Dalai Lama and Pabongka there are 7 lineage holders.
But the lineage starts differently:
Padmapani (Avalokiteshvara)
(the nun Gelongma) Palmo, who received the first initiation directly,
Chandrakumara
Yeshe Sang
Its the same, Yeshe Sang = Jnanabhadra.
Kälsang Gyatso, 7th Dalai Lama
... 7 lineage holders...
Pabongka Rinpoche,
Can you list this 7 lineage holders?
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

ratna wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:05 am HHDL also received this empowerment from Tagdrak Rinpoche, who received it from the Thirteenth Dalai Lama. This lineage doesn't go through Phabongkha. Tagdrak's record of teachings received reports the lineage as follows:

[lineage up to 7th HHDL]
7th HHDL
[someone must be missing here because the dates don't add up]
Panchen Tenpai Nyima (IVth Panchen Lama)
Lozang Tsultrim Jampa Gyatso (3th Phurbuchok R)
13th HHDL
Tagdrak R

R
Another name for Pabongka Rinpoche is Dechen Nyinpo.

But as I said above, I believe there must be always more than one lineage, especially in the case of such a famous sadhana.
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

Volan wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:33 pm ...

Can you list this 7 lineage holders?
Kelsang Gyatso (7th Dalai Lama)

Palden Yeshe
Jampäl Gyatso
Panchen Tenpei Nyima
Kelsang Dragpa
Tutob Chökyi Je
Dorje Drubpa
Lobsang Tubten Namgyäl

Pabongka Rinpoche
ratna

Post by ratna »

Ayu wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:40 pm Another name for Pabongka Rinpoche is Dechen Nyinpo.

Yes, and Dechen Nyingpo is not in Tagdrak Rinpoche's lineage.
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

ratna wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:06 pm
Ayu wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:40 pm Another name for Pabongka Rinpoche is Dechen Nyinpo.

Yes, and Dechen Nyingpo is not in Tagdrak Rinpoche's lineage.
:thumbsup:

Return to “Gelug”