About Black Manjushri

Paulo

About Black Manjushri

Post by Paulo »

Good evening. Lately I have been researching the origin of the practice of Black Manjushri. However, the information is very limited. For example, it is said to be part of the 13 Golden Dharmas of the Sakya Tradition, and descriptions of the benefit of the practice and mantras. Is there a more complete book or topic on this that you can tell me about? Thank you very much.
Lobsang Damchoi

Re: About Black Manjushri

Post by Lobsang Damchoi »

Dont know of any book or comprehensive treatment. Pls post if you find any resource like that.

Seems to be mainly a Gelug and Sakya practice -- all the Gelug Heruka Chakrasamvara teachings recommend the practice. I've seen a few short sadhanas on the Internet but no long one. I know there's something in the Rinjung Gyatsa

:namaste:
Lobsang Damchoi
zerwe

Post by zerwe »

Here is a little tidbit from Lama Zopa Rinpoche. This is from LYWA.

https://www.lamayeshe.com/advice/notes- ... i-practice

He gave the lung for the mantra during retreat in 2014. I will have to go back and look at what he might have said in relation to it.

I found this as well...https://buddhaweekly.com/disease-specia ... ease-aids/

Shaun :namaste:
Paulo

Post by Paulo »

Deep gratitude to everyone who helped in any way. Tashi Delek! 🙏😊❤️
WeiHan

Post by WeiHan »

There are more (quite alot of) information in chinese language in the web. I read that Sachen Kunga Nyingpo attested to the efficacy of this practice. I'll check some articles later.
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

HHST gave the Black Manjushri empowerment and teaching around March 2014 in Walden NY (of course he has given it many times). The short sadhana given was composed by Tsarchen Losal Gyatso (1502-1566, whose "Song of the Road: The Poetic Travel Journal of Tsarchen Losal Gyatso" was translated by Cyrus Stearns in 2013). However Sakyapa Kunga Lodro (1729-1783) is also listed as an author. So the Sakya sadhana has been revised at least a couple of times.

Under Benefits of this Practice it says that it "is very beneficial to purify from excess defilements and to protect from contamination of oneself and/or the environment. It pacifies curses, plagues and protects from dangerous spirits." So this much is openly available on the internet. It then gets specific and basically heals diseases (purifies diseases) and increases merit (I'm not comfortable citing this paragraph specifically).

There are drips and drabs of information on Black Manjushri around the internet but as noted it's pretty limited. I do not have any notes from HHST's teaching on Black Manjushri.

Apparently Black Manjushri entered Sakya practice through Bari Lotsawa.

Here is a video from Jeff Watt about Black Manjushri.
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche

Return to “Gelug”