The Empowerment/Practice Transmission

Arthur Drumond

The Empowerment/Practice Transmission

Post by Arthur Drumond »

Hello Everyone!!!
I just would like to ask you guys about recorded transmissions and empowerments. I often go to my Dharma Center to watch my guru teachings and instructions, but recently ( before the quarentine) I've missed one transmission about Ganden Lha Gyema, Je Tsongkhapa Guru Yoga. My center uses to record all sessions and post it on YouTube. There comes my doubt: Are recorded transmissions valid? I know Guru Yoga is a Lam Rim practice and doesn't require a formal initiation ( As far as I know) but I'm really confused.

Thanks and May all be aspicious!
conebeckham

Re: The Empowerment/Practice Transmission

Post by conebeckham »

I think it differs by teacher. I would recommend asking your teacher. My personal opinion is that for someone with some Dharma experience, videos of teachings are fine, but empowerments and transmissions should be live---ideally, in real space, but video streaming can work.
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")

Return to “Gelug”