Je Tsongkhapa Day

Nicholas Weeks

Je Tsongkhapa Day

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

This 2019 it is tomorrow, 21 December - 600 years...

https://fpmt.org/teachers/zopa/advice/r ... cember-21/
May all seek, find & follow the Path of Buddhas.
Ayu
Global Moderator

Re: Je Tsongkhapa Day

Post by Ayu »

:twothumbsup: Light many many candles.
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

A few drops from the Ocean of Reasoning, Je Rinpoche's comments on Nagarjuna's Mula:
1. Necessity and Manner of Investigating the Way Things Really Are

Everything the buddhas have said about generosity and other similar virtues
is a means to cultivate the wisdom that comprehends the way things really are
for those who have not cultivated it and to stabilize and continue its development
for those who have already cultivated it. Therefore, Bodhicāryāvatāra says:

All the branches of the teachings are taught by the Sage
For the cultivation of wisdom.
Therefore, those who wish to pacify suffering
Should cultivate wisdom. [IX: 1]

Therefore, since all the teachings are directly or indirectly devoted to establishing
the way things are, the highest obligation of the wise person is to
seek the absolutely clear eye of wisdom which ascertains the way things really
are, viz., dependent origination. Such things as generosity lead to the city of
liberation, just as a group of blind people are led to their destination by a skillful
guide. This is how this profound meaning is elegantly interpreted by the masters
who have been prophesied to expound it. Their hermeneutical methods
are these: In virtue of the fact that many different teachings—some definitive
and some requiring interpretations—are provided in accordance with the abilities
of different disciples, doubts arise regarding which of these teachings are
to be taken literally and which are not. So the meaning of the Buddha’s teaching
should be investigated following a system completely justified by arguments
that literally demonstrate how the scriptures of the teacher are to be
taken, that they are not to be taken otherwise, that undermine alternative interpretations,
and also through arguments against other interpretations. This
is the instruction given unanimously by all the great charioteers.
May all seek, find & follow the Path of Buddhas.
avatamsaka3

Post by avatamsaka3 »

:twothumbsup: Light many many candles.
I will light some in my mind.
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

Tsongkhapa Day today.
Light as many candles as possible.
Redfaery

Post by Redfaery »

Ayu wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:44 am Tsongkhapa Day today.
I am constantly holding back on my Dharma practice because I feel I cannot do it "properly," but yesterday I did find a quiet space to offer a small candle. :heart:
NAMO SARASWATI DEVI
Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - GANDHI
I am a delicate feminine flower!!!!
karmanyingpo

Post by karmanyingpo »

Redfaery wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:19 pm
I am constantly holding back on my Dharma practice because I feel I cannot do it "properly," but yesterday I did find a quiet space to offer a small candle. :heart:
Hello Dharma friend. I think I know exactly how you feel. Sometimes with vajrayana our practices can be intimidating and you just don't want to risk doing it wrong. I hope you will find what you need soon to feel more confident in your ability to practice.

KN
ma lu dzok pe san gye thop par shok!
karmanyingpo

Post by karmanyingpo »

Redfaery wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:19 pm
I have seen the following attributed to Venerable Gyatrul Rinpoche:

Sometimes students say, “I can't do the practice! It's so difficult! I try to go straight, but then I always go the wrong way! I can't practice nicely!”
So what? Just practice! Only buddhas practice really nicely.

People say, “I can't do the visualization!”
I don't care about your visualization! Just try sincerely! That is our key.

We are sentient beings. That means upside-down beings. Of course our practice is upside-down! Buddha has no jealousy, no partiality. Buddha is for all sentient beings. There isn't a rule: this group can receive blessings, that group doesn't receive them. No, no. Buddha is not stingy. Buddha is like the sun. All the Buddha's blessings are like sunshine, everywhere. Free. That means, whoever you are, high or low, if you practice, you receive blessings. You don't have to ask, “Am I part of that blessing group?” You are a sentient being. Even more than that, you are a human being!

You do have buddhanature. That means you can practice. You are qualified. Buddhanature has no politics, this group or that group. Buddhanature is not wishy-washy like your brain! Buddhanature doesn't say “Yes, yes!” and then instantly, “No, no!” Buddhanature is equally everywhere. When you practice, you connect to that. That is the blessing! There isn't some other one. Blessing means 'connect.'

Maybe you think you do connect. Or maybe you think nothing happens. Doesn't matter, whatever you think! Do you think buddhanature is waiting for you? Do you think buddhanature is disappointed in you? Or happy for you? No! Buddhanature is always there. Practice means your chance to focus on that. You are not making anything. You are not buying anything. You don't need to borrow something. You don't need to do a construction project to build it. Already there, your buddhanature! Just try to focus on what you already have!

If you think, “I can't practice nicely, therefore there's no connection!” Give me a break! Are you crazy? That's just self-centered. That is just thinking you need something special. No, no.
If you try, that is all the 'special' you need.
FiveSkandhas

Post by FiveSkandhas »

What if you are falling-down drunk? Just curious.
"One should cultivate contemplation in one’s foibles. The foibles are like fish, and contemplation is like fishing hooks. If there are no fish, then the fishing hooks have no use. The bigger the fish is, the better the result we will get. As long as the fishing hooks keep at it, all foibles will eventually be contained and controlled at will." -Zhiyi

"Just be kind." -Atisha
karmanyingpo

Post by karmanyingpo »

FiveSkandhas wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:51 am What if you are falling-down drunk? Just curious.
Is that a question in response to my quote or in response to requests to light a candle? Ha!

KN
FiveSkandhas

Post by FiveSkandhas »

karmanyingpo wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:03 am
FiveSkandhas wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:51 am What if you are falling-down drunk? Just curious.
Is that a question in response to my quote or in response to requests to light a candle? Ha!

KN
Lol. Your quote. :smile:

I think it's a valid question. I was once told by a Jodo-Shinshu priest that one could say the Nembutsu in any state of mind, but he "wasn't sure" about other practices.

The Pure Land way is predicted on our foolishness, but it seems to me that Vajrayana would be less forgiving of such a thing. Of course I could be wrong but at the very least it's a broken vow.
"One should cultivate contemplation in one’s foibles. The foibles are like fish, and contemplation is like fishing hooks. If there are no fish, then the fishing hooks have no use. The bigger the fish is, the better the result we will get. As long as the fishing hooks keep at it, all foibles will eventually be contained and controlled at will." -Zhiyi

"Just be kind." -Atisha
tobes

Post by tobes »

Then you're doing one little wholesome thing amidst a backdrop of non virtue. Better to do this than not, have no doubt about this.
karmanyingpo

Post by karmanyingpo »

FiveSkandhas wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:23 am

KN

I think it's a valid question. I was once told by a Jodo-Shinshu priest that one could say the Nembutsu in any state of mind, but he "wasn't sure" about other practices.

The Pure Land way is predicted on our foolishness, but it seems to me that Vajrayana would be less forgiving of such a thing. Of course I could be wrong but at the very least it's a broken vow.
I think the gest of the quote is do your best and don't worry too much about perfection because true perfection for any practice can only be done by a Buddha anyway so in the meanwhile we just do our best to work up to that point.
So it depends on the situation I think.
If a person is drinking just to drink or for bad reasons then that is probably a negative but then let's say they later have a sincere heart felt desire to practice for the right reasons. Then I imagine that would be a positive that doesn't remove the negative of drinking for the wrong reasons but depending on how strong the negativity and positive are, maybe it could outweigh the negative if your bodhicitta and practice is strong enough.

But in general we probably shouldn't drink even in vajrayana unless it is part of a special practice where you should do it.

Or lets say a person got drunk and then realized they forgot to do a daily practice commitment. Then they probably better do it weather they are drunk or not!!!! :tantrum:

I am just a noob though so anyone with better info please correct if I messed up.

KN
Last edited by karmanyingpo on Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
tobes

Post by tobes »

FiveSkandhas wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:23 am

KN

The vow was already broken by the act of getting drunk. The action of offering a tea light is a different action, and it will produce different results.
tobes

Post by tobes »

Back to the OP: I practice across the four major traditions, but Lama Chopa has a special place in my heart. It is such a sublime, complete, inspiring practice. Completely overflowing with blessings.

:anjali: :anjali: :anjali:

Return to “Gelug”