Lam Rim Discussion: Part 1

Malcolm

Re: Lam Rim Discussion: Part 1

Post by Malcolm »

Tsongkhapafan wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:48 pm Lamrim is a specific presentation of all of Buddha's teachings that originates from the great Indian Master Atisha in Lamp for the Path to Enlightenment. It is true that later masters from different traditions wrote commentaries which clarified the meaning of Atisha's presentation.
Yes, so that makes it a kind of literary presentation.

For example, Lamdre is the Sakyapa explanation of the path which originates with the Mahasiddha Virupa, and it contains the entire explanation of path of both sūtra and tantra— soup to nuts— with nothing missing. So, I don't see how anyone can claim Lamrim is superior to Lamdre.

Also, Lamrim without Sngags rim is not complete. This is why Tsongkhapa wrote two texts, not only one.
Tsongkhapafan

Re: Lam Rim Discussion: Part 1

Post by Tsongkhapafan »

Malcolm wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:27 pm I don't see how anyone can claim Lamrim is superior to Lamdre.
I don't know Lamdre so I cannot comment but if it is a complete presentation of the path, it is equally precious to lamrim.

[Mod note 2023: Whoever likes to continue this topic (on topic) may start a new thread "Lam Rim Discussion 2".
Topic locked due to its age.]

Return to “Gelug”