Sakya Pandita's Ordinary Wisdom

Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Sakya Pandita's Ordinary Wisdom

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

Hi,

does anyone have any experience/thoughts on this book called Ordinary Wisdom? https://wisdomexperience.org/product/ordinary-wisdom/

I have an old czech translation of the Treasury of Good Advice and would be quite interested in hearing people, how applicable the teachings are and if they have any experience with it and would recommend it. The Czech translation at least is really nicely translated into real verses, just it can be a bit harder to interpret thanks to it. So, what about the English version, how is it?
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
Malcolm

Re: Sakya Pandita's Ordinary Wisdom

Post by Malcolm »

Könchok Thrinley wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:18 pm Hi,

does anyone have any experience/thoughts on this book called Ordinary Wisdom? https://wisdomexperience.org/product/ordinary-wisdom/

I have an old czech translation of the Treasury of Good Advice and would be quite interested in hearing people, how applicable the teachings are and if they have any experience with it and would recommend it. The Czech translation at least is really nicely translated into real verses, just it can be a bit harder to interpret thanks to it. So, what about the English version, how is it?
It’s quite good, since it also contain the commentary.
Svalaksana

Post by Svalaksana »

While I do not wish to hijack the thread, since I'm genuinely interested in hearing other users opinions concerning the applicability and faithfulness of translation, I would also like to put out a question concerning the book.

I got an edition called "Elegant Sayings" containing Nagarjuna's "Staff of Wisdom" and Sakya Pandita's "A Precious Treasury of Elegant Sayings" and to my understanding, this Treasury is the same "Treasury of Good Advice" present in "Ordinary Wisdom". Will someone confirm this?
Looking but not seeing - that's my eye.
Thinking but not minding - that's my mind.
Speaking but not expressing - that's my tongue.
Traveling but not going - that's my path.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Manjushri wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:32 pm While I do not wish to hijack the thread, since I'm genuinely interested in hearing other users opinions concerning the applicability and faithfulness of translation, I would also like to put out a question concerning the book.

I got an edition called "Elegant Sayings" containing Nagarjuna's "Staff of Wisdom" and Sakya Pandita's "A Precious Treasury of Elegant Sayings" and to my understanding, this Treasury is the same "Treasury of Good Advice" present in "Ordinary Wisdom". Will someone confirm this?
Yes, they are the same.
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Malcolm wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:28 pm
Könchok Thrinley wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:18 pm Hi,

It’s quite good, since it also contain the commentary.
Oh really?! Thanks, I will have to try get it since a commentary would be quite useful sometimes.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
Svalaksana

Post by Svalaksana »

Malcolm wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:37 pm
Manjushri wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:32 pm While I do not wish to hijack the thread, since I'm genuinely interested in hearing other users opinions concerning the applicability and faithfulness of translation, I would also like to put out a question concerning the book.

Yes, they are the same.
Thanks, Malcolm. Really hope someone in a near future gets to translate his Treasury of Valid Reasoning as well to English.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Manjushri wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:45 pm

Yes, they are the same.
Thanks, Malcolm. Really hope someone in a near future gets to translate his Treasury of Valid Reasoning as well to English.
It's in the works at Library of Tibetan Classics:

20. Tibetan Buddhist Epistemology I: The Sakya School (trans. Matthew Kapstein)
SilenceMonkey

Post by SilenceMonkey »

It's a classic among tibetans. Everyone seems to know about it and it's often quoted by teachers in every tradition.

Personally, I love this genre of worldly wisdom.
Svalaksana

Post by Svalaksana »

Malcolm wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:33 pm
Manjushri wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:45 pm

Yes, they are the same.
It's in the works at Library of Tibetan Classics:

20. Tibetan Buddhist Epistemology I: The Sakya School (trans. Matthew Kapstein)
This is phenomenal news. Cheers for that.
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

SilenceMonkey wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:46 pm It's a classic among tibetans. Everyone seems to know about it and it's often quoted by teachers in every tradition.

Personally, I love this genre of worldly wisdom.
Really? Honestly I have not really seen it quoted much, but then again I know only few of the verses. But yeah, it is really refreshingly practical.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra

Return to “Sakya”