Vajrakilaya Empowerment

suerafatodd

Vajrakilaya Empowerment

Post by suerafatodd »

Hello all,

I hope you are doing well. I am writing to ask if anyone could offer advice for locating a Vajrakilaya practice text. I received the Empowerment from HH Sakya Trichen at the Tibetan Cultural Center in Portland, OR, in August 2018. At the time, I unfortunately did not check in with the Cultural Center office for a copy of the practice. I'm not sure they would have copies anymore anyway since so much time has passed. I have since emailed the office of HH regarding a practice text, and they then directed me back to the Cultural Center (who has not replied to my inquiries, likely due to COVID). Does anyone have any ideas on how I may be able to locate an appropriate text so I can practice? Or, if you are not sure, do you have any suggestions for anyone I could contact?

I would so appreciate any assistance you could provide.

Thank you so much!
Care
namoh

Re: Vajrakilaya Empowerment

Post by namoh »

Check with Sakya Monastery in Seattle, WA (www.sakya.org). They produced a short two page text for the Khön Vajrakilaya when HH Dagchen Sakya Rinpoche gave the initiation a few years ago. If they’re not able to provide it, PM me and I’ll help.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

suerafatodd wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:25 pm Hello all,

I hope you are doing well. I am writing to ask if anyone could offer advice for locating a Vajrakilaya practice text. I received the Empowerment from HH Sakya Trichen at the Tibetan Cultural Center in Portland, OR, in August 2018. At the time, I unfortunately did not check in with the Cultural Center office for a copy of the practice. I'm not sure they would have copies anymore anyway since so much time has passed. I have since emailed the office of HH regarding a practice text, and they then directed me back to the Cultural Center (who has not replied to my inquiries, likely due to COVID). Does anyone have any ideas on how I may be able to locate an appropriate text so I can practice? Or, if you are not sure, do you have any suggestions for anyone I could contact?

I would so appreciate any assistance you could provide.

Thank you so much!
Care
Contacting the center is the best option. There are countless lineages and practices of Vajrakilaya and you need to know exactly which one you received.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

namoh wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:23 am Check with Sakya Monastery in Seattle, WA (www.sakya.org). They produced a short two page text for the Khön Vajrakilaya when HH Dagchen Sakya Rinpoche gave the initiation a few years ago. If they’re not able to provide it, PM me and I’ll help.
You cannot assume he/she received the specific practice.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
namoh

Post by namoh »

Or maybe I’m familiar with the event that the OP attended. Your concern is however noted.
Soma999

Post by Soma999 »

Buy the « dark red amulet », for two good Vajrakilaya practice.
namoh

Post by namoh »

That’s a wonderful book, but unrelated to the Sakya phurba lineage.
suerafatodd

Post by suerafatodd »

Hello everyone -

Thank you all so much for your kind replies. I was actually able to get a long text from a Center in India that was deemed appropriate by the Center for my practice based on the information that they were provided with. Yes, Red Amulet is not quite applicable to this specifically but I plan on reading it eventually because it definitely contains relevant information anyway. I did get in touch with the Center in Seattle to see what they say - the practice I have is very long (and very elaborate...I have a LOT to learn) and a short daily practice would really help me. If the Center has an issue with it they will let me know.

Thank you all again. Sorry for the delay in reply. I'm so glad I thought to check in so I can express my appreciation.

Stay healthy and well!

In the Dharma,
care
namoh

Post by namoh »

Fantastic. Let me know if the Gompa in Seattle isn’t able to help and I can scan mine. Sakyapa Khyenno!
namtose

Post by namtose »

Another source would be the Sakya Center in British Columbia, Sakya Tsechen Thubten Ling, Sakya Trichen gave the Vajralilaya empowerment there a few years ago. The standard short sadhana used in both centers is Drop of Definitive meaning by Sakyapa Ngawang Kunga Lodro translated into english by Cyrus Stearns in 2008 based on his previous translation of the same text in 1990. Sakya monastery in Seattle should be able to get you a copy.

The lineage prayers will be slightly different. The red amulet is a nice book, the practice of Vajrakilaya by Khenpo Namdrol is also useful both based on termas.

The Sakya Vajrakilaya is a kama lineage, an unbroken stream from the mouth of Padmasambava to the ear of Luyi Wangpo and Dorje Rinchen, to Sherab Rinchen .... Sakya Trichen.
The only active practice lineage in the kama tradition, all other Vajrakilaya that are practiced are terma, so a most special empowerment, you are fortunate indeed.
lelopa

Post by lelopa »

namtose wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:16 pm Another source would be the Sakya Center in British Columbia, Sakya Tsechen Thubten Ling, Sakya Trichen gave the Vajralilaya empowerment there a few years ago. The standard short sadhana used in both centers is Drop of Definitive meaning by Sakyapa Ngawang Kunga Lodro translated into english by Cyrus Stearns in 2008 based on his previous translation of the same text in 1990. Sakya monastery in Seattle should be able to get you a copy.

The lineage prayers will be slightly different. The red amulet is a nice book, the practice of Vajrakilaya by Khenpo Namdrol is also useful both based on termas.

The Sakya Vajrakilaya is a kama lineage, an unbroken stream from the mouth of Padmasambava to the ear of Luyi Wangpo and Dorje Rinchen, to Sherab Rinchen .... Sakya Trichen.
The only active practice lineage in the kama tradition, all other Vajrakilaya that are practiced are terma, so a most special empowerment, you are fortunate indeed.
I thought the Jigme Lingpa Phurba-sadhana is also kama :shrug:
Lost In Transmission
namtose

Post by namtose »

Jigme Lingpa was born in 1730. His phurba practice is part of the Longchen Nyingthig terma.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

namtose wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:39 am Jigme Lingpa was born in 1730. His phurba practice is part of the Longchen Nyingthig terma.
Jigling rgyud lugs phurba is part of Kama.
suerafatodd

Post by suerafatodd »

namtose wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:16 pm Another source would be the Sakya Center in British Columbia, Sakya Tsechen Thubten Ling, Sakya Trichen gave the Vajralilaya empowerment there a few years ago. The standard short sadhana used in both centers is Drop of Definitive meaning by Sakyapa Ngawang Kunga Lodro translated into english by Cyrus Stearns in 2008 based on his previous translation of the same text in 1990. Sakya monastery in Seattle should be able to get you a copy.

Thank you so much for providing another source! This also helps me keep different Centers in mind when questions arise. As you suggested, the Center in Seattle is kindly sending me a copy.

Yes I’ve received many recommendations to read Red Amulet so I plan on diving in as time permits. There is so much I’d like to read and so little time - more reason to use every moment for meaningful, purposeful activity.

Yes I am experiencing a lot of gratitude - many people have been so kind. As we practice in the lam-rim, all the more reason to work hard to attain Buddhahood to return that kindness. I hope you’re well and appreciate you very much 🙏
lelopa

Post by lelopa »

namtose wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:39 am Jigme Lingpa was born in 1730. His phurba practice is part of the Longchen Nyingthig terma.
No, not everything what Jigme Lingpa wrote, teached or practiced is Longchen Nyingthig.
Yeshe Lama is another example.
Lost In Transmission

Return to “Sakya”