Bay Area Sakya and beginning practice

Kolyonyx

Bay Area Sakya and beginning practice

Post by Kolyonyx »

Hello,
I have danced around the Dharma for years and recently have committed to study and practice.

I am currently studying basic fundamentals of Buddhism at a FPMT center. I find the Gandenpa lamrim formulation to be a beautiful synthesis of the path. Everyone I have met is lovely and I will continue to take classes there for the foreseeable future.
However, I find myself continually drawn to the Sakya school and the core concept of lamdre (what little I understand of it) for some reason. Possibly a karmic connection? I have watched HH Sakya Trizin and HE Dagmo Kusho teach, and have a good feeling in my heart. Of course, on the internet, not in person, but still.

I started to read Ngorchen Konchog Lhundrub’s Three Visions and something seemed to “click” for me. Maybe it’s the translation, I don’t know. I’m beginning to work with the text and am waiting on a copy of the Three Levels as well. I also picked up an online copy of Lamdre: Dawn of Enlightenment by Lama Choedak Yuthok – but as lamdre is a bestowed transmission, I have been hesitant to actually read it. :reading:

Obviously, I am nowhere near ready for any kind of HYT but I am just throwing this out there: I also aspire to practice Vajrayogini in the form of Naropa’s dakini, and thus Hevajra or Samvara by extension. I am aware that there is a Gelug practice of VY, but to reiterate, there is something that keeps drawing me back to Sakya school. I have had experiences that point toward a red Yogini (possibly Vajrayogini/Vajravarahi, Hevajra’s Kurukulle, or Padmadakini) and a black Yogini (possibly Troma Nagmo? Nairatmya?). But these experiences are entirely personal. At the end of the day, I think the teacher is more important than the yidam/sadhana, so I will do whatever is best.

I may be moving to Seattle (closer to Sakya Monastery) or NYC (closer to Tsechen Kunchab Ling, Jetsun Sakya, and Vikramasila) in the future, but that is a long way off and the present moment is precious.

For future reference (post-COVID-19), I was wondering if anyone knows of any qualified Sakya lamas in the Bay Area? I live in San Francisco proper. I know of Lama Kunga in the East Bay but was curious if there were more Sakya teachers in the region.
And is there a structure to preliminaries for lamdre? I have been doing Seven Limb practice before meditation (mostly establishing Refuge to begin, moving on to the impure vision) and doing simple guru visualization with Padmasambhava to increase devotion.
Thank you for your time reading this and replying. Any help or guidance is much appreciated.

Everyone please be safe and healthy, and take care of each other.

:heart:
- Kei

Return to “Sakya”