New Sakya Translation: Sonam Tsemo's Commentary on the Bodhicaryāvatāra

dechenpa

New Sakya Translation: Sonam Tsemo's Commentary on the Bodhicaryāvatāra

Post by dechenpa »

Dear Dharma Friends,

We have a major new translation to be available on June 3 - Sonam Tsemo's (1142-1182) commentary on Śāntideva's classic guide to the Buddhist path, the Bodhicaryāvatāra or 'Entering the Bodhisattva Conduct'. Sonam Tsemo's commentary, reflecting his many years of study with philosophical luminaries like Chapa Chokyi Sengge, stands today as one of the pinnacles of Sakya scholarship. This edition also contains a complete translation of the Bodhicaryāvatāra itself, so it can be read together with its commentary, with consistency across both texts.

Translated by Adrian O'Sullivan, a student of Lama Jampa Thaye for over two decades and a director of Sakya Samten Ling in Santa Monica, California, his previous translations include Tsarchen Losal Gyamtso's 'Opening the Door to Precious Accomplishments' (2005), 'Telescope of Wisdom' (2009) and 'The Lamp that Dispels Darkness' (2013), the latter two being translations of commentaries composed by the great Sakya and Karma Kagyu master Karma Thinley Rinpoche.

A couple of endorsements:
I am delighted to welcome the appearance of this major work of Buddhist scholarship in English translation. It is the fruit of several years of labour by the translator, Adrian O’Sullivan, who has already established himself as one of the new generation of Buddhist practitioner/translators.

It is my prayer that this English translation contributes greatly to the flourishing of our great Sakya tradition in the West for the benefit of all beings.
- Lama Jampa Thaye
Sonam Tsemo wrote his commentary to the Bodhicaryavatara in the twelfth century to demonstrate to Tibetan Buddhists of the time how this important text fits into the Mahayana path of philosophy and practice. Adrian O'Sullivan's clear and precise translation accomplishes the same thing for modern English-speaking Buddhists. With section overviews that make the structure of the commentary clear, a guide to the Tibetan system of logic, and extensive notes drawing on other Indian texts and Tibetan commentaries, this is an exemplary translation of a key text for the study and practice of Tibetan Buddhism.
- Sam van Schaik, translator of 'The Sakya School of Tibetan Buddhism' (2018) and author of 'Tibet: A History' (2013)

https://www.amazon.com/Bodhicaryavatara ... 733556001/
https://store.bookbaby.com/bookshop/boo ... Commentary

We hope this contributes something to the spread of our wonderful Sakya tradition in the English-speaking world!
If anyone has questions about the book, I would be happy to answer.

Cheers
Nicholas Weeks

Re: New Sakya Translation: Sonam Tsemo's Commentary on the Bodhicaryāvatāra

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Probably will add another Bodhicaryavatara to my library.

I have the 2006 two-volume edition with commentary by Sabzang Mati Panchen Jamyang Lodrö (1294-1376).

That seems a hard one to beat, but perhaps he borrowed many insights from Sonam Tsemo who lived 150? or so years earlier?

One more question - is the commentary verse by verse or does the root text stand alone and the commentary cites only verse numbers of each chapter?
May all seek, find & follow the Path of Buddhas.
dechenpa

Post by dechenpa »

Its certainly interesting to see the different directions later Sakya masters went in with their commentaries. Lhopa Kunkhyen Rinchen Pal followed Sonam Tsemo very closely apart from the use of logic. Thogme Zangpo seemed to depart from their model somewhat, with a different structure and style. Buton on the other hand seems to have emphasized the formal logic part and gone into more detail in many areas. Sabzang Mati Panchen's commentary I did not look at, but whether or not he relied on Sonam Tsemo I am sure it is quite perfect in itself given his qualities as a master, as indeed are all these other commentaries. As with all dharma teachings, while there are all these variances, some people are attracted by different things.

This edition is verse by verse, with the commentary interposed. I attach a screenshot.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gc4psvz4ngv3s ... e.jpg?dl=0
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Bookbaby, the printer, has added a Look Inside function which shows a few sample pages.
May all seek, find & follow the Path of Buddhas.
dechenpa

Post by dechenpa »

I did not notice that - thanks!

Return to “Sakya”