Meditation posture...straight arms, 'vulture shoulders'...how common is it ?

lhaksam.dorje

Meditation posture...straight arms, 'vulture shoulders'...how common is it ?

Post by lhaksam.dorje »

I have been instructed to meditate (or to at least have a go) with straight arms and shoulders 'like a vulture' if possible (context is Marpa Kaygu). At first I found it rather uncomfortable and odd, now I like it (a lot).
It seems rare to see images of people (yogis, deities, anyone) in this posture. Is this a fringe Kagyu thing ?

Tata1

Re: Meditation posture...straight arms, 'vulture shoulders'...how common is it ?

Post by Tata1 »

lhaksam.dorje wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:35 pm I have been instructed to meditate (or to at least have a go) with straight arms and shoulders 'like a vulture' if possible (context is Marpa Kaygu). At first I found it rather uncomfortable and odd, now I like it (a lot).
It seems rare to see images of people (yogis, deities, anyone) in this posture. Is this a fringe Kagyu thing ?

Its mostly done for tsa lung practices as far as i know
Aryjna

Re: Meditation posture...straight arms, 'vulture shoulders'...how common is it ?

Post by Aryjna »

lhaksam.dorje wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:35 pm I have been instructed to meditate (or to at least have a go) with straight arms and shoulders 'like a vulture' if possible (context is Marpa Kaygu). At first I found it rather uncomfortable and odd, now I like it (a lot).
The "like a vulture" part is from the seven-point posture: https://www.rigpawiki.org/index.php?tit ... Vairochana
Straight arms are not one of the seven points, the picture is unrelated. Are you sure it was not "spine straight" instead of arms?
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

lhaksam.dorje wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:35 pm
No, it is not a fringe Kagyu thing. This is common in all schools when doing certain prāṇāyāma practices.
lhaksam.dorje

Post by lhaksam.dorje »

Aryjna wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:55 pm Are you sure it was not "spine straight" instead of arms?
Definitely arms (and spine too)
lhaksam.dorje

Post by lhaksam.dorje »

Thank you all :-)
yagmort

Post by yagmort »

have you been demonstrated this posture by the teacher who instructed you? if not and you rely on oral instruction only, i would double check and ask your teacher again. this posture, like Aryjna and Malcolm said, is not a common meditation posture and is a part of subtle body yoga practices.
stay open, spread love
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

That’s a posture for Tsa Lung, Khumbaka etc. it has specific uses and a few variations. Seems weird to me to hold it for long periods of time, I have never heard of that….which or may not mean anything.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
heart

Post by heart »

yagmort wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:36 pm have you been demonstrated this posture by the teacher who instructed you? if not and you rely on oral instruction only, i would double check and ask your teacher again. this posture, like Aryjna and Malcolm said, is not a common meditation posture and is a part of subtle body yoga practices.
Malcolm said: "This is common in all schools when doing certain prāṇāyāma practices."

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
lhaksam.dorje

Post by lhaksam.dorje »

yagmort wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:36 pm have you been demonstrated this posture by the teacher who instructed you? if not and you rely on oral instruction only, i would double check and ask your teacher again. this posture, like Aryjna and Malcolm said, is not a common meditation posture and is a part of subtle body yoga practices.
Yes a demonstration was given (slightly different to the attached picture, but straight arms are the same), and the context involves tsa lung exercises. I don't have an issue with the posture, more about why there are so few images of yogis utilising it.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

lhaksam.dorje wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:02 am
Yes a demonstration was given (slightly different to the attached picture, but straight arms are the same), and the context involves tsa lung exercises. I don't have an issue with the posture, more about why there are so few images of yogis utilising it.
There are just less photos out there of people doing Tsa Lung and whatnot, I think. The postures can be found in some paintings too iirc.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
heart

Post by heart »

It been considered secret instructions by many lamas.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
lhaksam.dorje

Post by lhaksam.dorje »

heart wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:23 am
It been considered secret instructions by many lamas.

/magnus
Ah. (pun intended)
Oops, probably should have thought of that.
passel

Post by passel »

Looks like a young Togden Amtin.
"I have made a heap of all that I have met"- Svetonious
Norwegian

Post by Norwegian »

passel wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:26 pm Looks like a young Togden Amtin.
Yes.
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

lhaksam.dorje wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:35 pm It seems rare to see images of people (yogis, deities, anyone) in this posture. Is this a fringe Kagyu thing ?
I know some vultures that do it, but I am not sure what lineages they belong to.

Virgo
lhaksam.dorje

Post by lhaksam.dorje »

Johnny Dangerous wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:39 am
There are just less photos out there of people doing Tsa Lung and whatnot, I think. The postures can be found in some paintings too iirc.
I hadn't seen any in paintings, but then I had a proper look and you are indeed correct....
Mahasiddha Lawapa, courtesy of himalayanart.org

Last edited by lhaksam.dorje on Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
passel

Post by passel »

The vulture wing cue is just meant to indicate that the shoulder blades should be wide and sustainably relaxed, with even energetic extension, like a vulture spending all day on a draft. A really useful cue if you’re meditating all day every day for weeks and months on end.
"I have made a heap of all that I have met"- Svetonious
lhaksam.dorje

Post by lhaksam.dorje »

passel wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:20 am The vulture wing cue is just meant to indicate that the shoulder blades should be wide and sustainably relaxed, with even energetic extension, like a vulture spending all day on a draft. A really useful cue if you’re meditating all day every day for weeks and months on end.
Thank you. That is useful information :twothumbsup:
Unless one's arms are really short, then the straight arms can result in raised shoulders....like resting vultures have. I now see that that is likely not the point of the 'vulture shoulders' reference in the 7 point posture, and I had noticed it's probably not actually a critical characteristic of the straight arm posture. Well we live and learn in this game don't we lol
Last edited by lhaksam.dorje on Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Kagyu”