Amitabha from Yangzab

Volan

Amitabha from Yangzab

Post by Volan »

What are the differences between this practice and the more common one from Namcho?
Cinnabar

Re: Amitabha from Yangzab

Post by Cinnabar »

There is part of the Yangzab that is related to the practices of the Great Compassionate One. So there is an outer, inner, and secret Amitabha, Chenrezig, and Hayagriva practice. There is more to be said, but it is not “just” an Amitabha deity practice. Same for Chenrezig and Hayagriva from this part of the treasure.
Volan

Post by Volan »

In my case the empowerment was given for Amitabha from Yangzab and the lung was given for the standard Drikung sadhana: "The Meditation and Recitation of Amitābha called Uniting with the Pure Land of Sukhāvati", which is based on Namcho. And i think that the reason for this is obvious - this text was available, while there are no translations from Yangzab.

Now, the Amitabha practice from Namcho has it`s own unique structure - the extended sadhana has seven mantras and three supplementary practices: dream yoga, powa and the long-life sadhana.

And i don`t think that this empowerment from Yangzab authorizes one to practice these. Even the famous six syllable mantra of Amitabha, as far as i know, is unique to Namcho cycle and doesn't appear anywhere else.
Cinnabar

Post by Cinnabar »

There are translations of the Yangzab Amitabha practices.

Certainly the "standard" sadhana is more familiar.
Volan

Post by Volan »

Cinnabar wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:36 pm There are translations of the Yangzab Amitabha practices.
And where one can get it?
Cinnabar

Post by Cinnabar »

I believe the Drikung Dzogchen Translation Project (DDTP) has the copyright. You can find them online.

Return to “Kagyu”