Time, Space and Knowledge

Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Time, Space and Knowledge

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

Over the years this book has gone from being an oddity to me to being one of my favorite Dharma books, as idiosyncratic as it is.

I'm curious if anyone knows whether the exercises in this book were Tarthang Tulku's creation specifically, or whether they are part of any kind of traditional teaching. Some of them are easily identifiable as Mahamudra/Semde type teachings, others I have not seen.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
Malcolm

Re: Time, Space and Knowledge

Post by Malcolm »

Johnny Dangerous wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:31 pm Over the years this book has gone from being an oddity to me to being one of my favorite Dharma books, as idiosyncratic as it is.

I'm curious if anyone knows whether the exercises in this book were Tarthang Tulku's creation specifically, or whether they are part of any kind of traditional teaching. Some of them are easily identifiable as Mahamudra/Semde type teachings, others I have not seen.
His own thing.
Rick

Post by Rick »

Kum Nye, who knew? Thanks, JD. :-)
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Rick wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:14 pm Kum Nye, who knew? Thanks, JD. :-)
This book does not deal with Kum Nye.

It's a sort of Dzogchen-influenced philosophy book, in a sense. It has meditative exercises paired with short pieces of explanation/philosophy.

I was just wondering if any of it was traditional or mostly TT's own deal, Malcolm says his own deal, which I guess is not surprising.

-Khunu Lama
Svalaksana

Post by Svalaksana »

Sounds pretty interesting, JD, never heard about it before. Can you tell us a bit about your experience with it and what strongly impressed you?
Looking but not seeing - that's my eye.
Thinking but not minding - that's my mind.
Speaking but not expressing - that's my tongue.
Traveling but not going - that's my path.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Svalaksana wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:35 pm Sounds pretty interesting, JD, never heard about it before. Can you tell us a bit about your experience with it and what strongly impressed you?
Well when I first got it I could not make sense of it, I thought it was kind of an oddity, in some ways I still do. After being exposed to Dzogchen via ChNN (and others, but mostly him) it has been a good supplement to me. It's from 1977 or so, which might be why you have not heard of it. It is very stream of consciousness, like most of the his books from the 70's. Some of the meditations in it have been very useful to me, in particular with regard to the ones based on time.

It has exercises based on time, space, and knowledge, as the name implies.

I have heard that T.T. did stuff like this in the 70's and kind of abruptly stopped, I don't know anything beyond that.

-Khunu Lama
Rick

Post by Rick »

Johnny Dangerous wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:24 pm This book does not deal with Kum Nye.

It's a sort of Dzogchen-influenced philosophy book, in a sense. It has meditative exercises paired with short pieces of explanation/philosophy.
Now I'm even more intrigued. Would you say a foundation in Dzogchen is a prerequisite to benefitting from the book?

I managed to borrow a copy of the book from Archive.org.
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

Johnny Dangerous wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:31 pm Over the years this book has gone from being an oddity to me to being one of my favorite Dharma books, as idiosyncratic as it is.
I thought maybe it was about Einstein.

Virgo
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Rick wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:07 pm
Johnny Dangerous wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:24 pm This book does not deal with Kum Nye.

Now I'm even more intrigued. Would you say a foundation in Dzogchen is a prerequisite to benefitting from the book?

I managed to borrow a copy of the book from Archive.org.
I can only say it did not make any sense to me until following ChNN for a few years, and since then it has really grown on me.

-Khunu Lama
FiveSkandhas

Post by FiveSkandhas »

Haha I remember coming across this book many moons ago when I was a much younger FiveSkandhas. I read a few pages in and, trembling with excitement and confusion, decided I would need to shelve it until I could give it the understanding and time it seemed to call for.

Never did feel up to climbing that particular mountain...
"One should cultivate contemplation in one’s foibles. The foibles are like fish, and contemplation is like fishing hooks. If there are no fish, then the fishing hooks have no use. The bigger the fish is, the better the result we will get. As long as the fishing hooks keep at it, all foibles will eventually be contained and controlled at will." -Zhiyi

"Just be kind." -Atisha

Return to “Nyingma”