Who is qualified to take in students?

Chenda

Who is qualified to take in students?

Post by Chenda »

Hello!

I will start attending regular online classes at my local Palyul temple, to be taught by the "head monk" of the temple. Based on the temple's website, the head monk is a Khenpo (a title he received after becoming a Lopon) and he seems to be very knowledgeable about the Dharma. However, I'm uncertain of what makes a monk "qualified" to take in students (in the sense of starting tantric practices). If you're wondering if I'm looking forward to doing tantra, yes, and I've been contemplating entering monastic life as well.

So, my question is: who is qualified to take in students? I don't want to approach Khenpola without prior knowledge regarding this as he's usually with the junior monks (and yes, I would feel embarrassed if I get told off in front of them).
heart

Re: Who is qualified to take in students?

Post by heart »

Chenda wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:13 pm Hello!

I will start attending regular online classes at my local Palyul temple, to be taught by the "head monk" of the temple. Based on the temple's website, the head monk is a Khenpo (a title he received after becoming a Lopon) and he seems to be very knowledgeable about the Dharma. However, I'm uncertain of what makes a monk "qualified" to take in students (in the sense of starting tantric practices). If you're wondering if I'm looking forward to doing tantra, yes, and I've been contemplating entering monastic life as well.

So, my question is: who is qualified to take in students? I don't want to approach Khenpola without prior knowledge regarding this as he's usually with the junior monks (and yes, I would feel embarrassed if I get told off in front of them).
You should ask the Khenpo that question, it is something they do study. In general there are many khenpos who are qualified tantric master for example Khenchen Namdrol and Khenchen Thrangu Rinpoche.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Nicholas2727

Post by Nicholas2727 »

I remember I brought up a similar question in a forum awhile ago, can not remember which forum tho. I have noticed in my local Kagyu center that one teacher is a lay lama with the title retreat lama. After completing his three year retreat and after receiving permission to teach from his lama, he was given the opportunity to teach. I am not sure if he teachers Vajrayana or not since I have not attended the temple. Since you mentioned you are interested in ordaining, I am not sure how it would differ, especially for a different tradition. I may be wrong and someone could correct me, but it seems that for the Kagyu tradition one has to complete at least a three year retreat and then be given permission from their lama to teach? At least all the western Kagyu teachers I have seen follow this process. I have also heard that it is similar for those in the Nyingma and Jonang tradition. At least a three year retreat, then permission to teach from their lama, although I have not had this information confirmed so someone may correct me. For other traditions (Gelug and Sakya) it seems that mostly Khenpo's and Geshe's teach in the west, although for the Gelug school there are some western teachers (lay and ordained). Robina Courtin, Thubten Chodron , Lorne Ladner and other teachers do not have a Geshe degree, but I believe they were given permission to teach from their lamas. I am not sure if they give any empowerments tho, but they are able to teach at their center and guide students.
Josef

Post by Josef »

Someone with experience of the dharma and the qualities of a teacher as they are expressed in the sutras and tantras is qualified to teach the dharma. This is much more important than titles and so on. Some lamas are tulkus, some are khenpos or geshes, some have done retreats, some are just experienced practitioners that follow their own lamas guidance and in doing so teach others.
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
yagmort

Post by yagmort »

from what i understand one is qualified to teach if one is authorized to teach by a lineage holder. the moot point here is "to teach". some one with a khenpo/geshe degree is probably authorised to teach scholar things, but may not be authorised to give empowerments and take students for the actual practice within a given lineage.
stay open, spread love
heart

Post by heart »

yagmort wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:36 pm from what i understand one is qualified to teach if one is authorized to teach by a lineage holder. the moot point here is "to teach". some one with a khenpo/geshe degree is probably authorised to teach scholar things, but may not be authorised to give empowerments and take students for the actual practice within a given lineage.
You can not know that from the title khenpo. I gave examples above.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
yagmort

Post by yagmort »

heart wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:31 pm You can not know that from the title khenpo.
yes, we say the same thing.
i also elaborated to answer OP the way i deem helpful
stay open, spread love
Chenda

Post by Chenda »

Thanks for the responses. The most logical way forward for me now is to continue attending Khenpola's classes and probably join the temple Ngöndro retreats once they resume offering it (which I would have to do anyway under any teacher). I suppose if he was authorised he would explain and offer empowerments in the future.
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

The correct answer to this question, as Magnus points out, is that the sutras and tantras describe the qualities of a qualified teacher and the process for the student examining the teacher, the teacher examining the student, etc. But this needs to be further divided into (a) who is qualified to confer an empowerment, and (b) who is qualified to teach the Dharma generally, as (a) has different requirements, which relate to having completed certain practices. I am not aware of any text that states that permission from the person's lama or lineage throne holder is a requirement for either (a) or (b). That may be common practice, but I do not think it has any actual basis in sutras or tantras. If anyone knows otherwise, please let me know.
Tilopa

Post by Tilopa »

Chenda wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:13 pm So, my question is: who is qualified to take in students?
Here's a beautiful explanation:

https://www.lamayeshe.com/article/chapt ... ru-excerpt

And lot's of useful information here:

https://viewonbuddhism.org/spiritual_teacher_guru.html
Chenda

Post by Chenda »

Thank you for your replies and resources, everyone.

Return to “Nyingma”