Wondering about Rebkong

KonchogUrgyenNyima

Wondering about Rebkong

Post by KonchogUrgyenNyima »

Hello everyone,

I’m wondering about the Rebkong practitioners. What is this tradition like? What are the cycles practices, who are the lineage holders, and why do we not really see a lot of Rebkong lineage lamas in the “west”?

Are there any books about them?

Thanks in advance!
PeterC

Re: Wondering about Rebkong

Post by PeterC »

KonchogUrgyenNyima wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:14 am Hello everyone,

I’m wondering about the Rebkong practitioners. What is this tradition like? What are the cycles practices, who are the lineage holders, and why do we not really see a lot of Rebkong lineage lamas in the “west”?

Thanks in advance!
Do you mean rebkong in qinghai? Where you have the thangka painting school? Last time I checked the main monastery was gelug
Norwegian

Post by Norwegian »

PeterC wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:56 pm

Thanks in advance!
Do you mean rebkong in qinghai? Where you have the thangka painting school? Last time I checked the main monastery was gelug
I think OP is referring to the Repkong ngakpas, with the long dreadlocks:

Lama Tharchin Rinpoche was of the Repkong lineage.
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

Tulku Yeshi Gyamtsho in Seattle is from that area as is Dr. Nida Chenagtsang. Anyen Rinpoche in Denver is from Amdo, but I don't remember if He is from near Rebgong. If you read Dr. Nida's on-line bio, you can learn about the main ngakpa (Nyingma) tradition there stemming from the late 18th-early 19th century. Longchen Nyingthig is strong there. Shabkar Tshog-drug Rang-drol, who was a Longchen Nyingthig lineage-holder, was from Rebgong and was, perhaps, the most famous "native son." Right now, the ngakpas in Rebgong are celebrating the annual Lu-rol (Naga play) ceremonies which draw large crowds from all over. Lots of displays of ngakpa power. You can find videos on Facebook and YouTube.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
KonchogUrgyenNyima

Thanks in advance!
I am in fact talking about the nyingma yogis. Although this distinction is good to keep in mind. I did not know about this thngka painting school or any gelugpa monastery!

KonchogUrgyenNyima

Norwegian wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:19 pm

Thanks in advance!
I think OP is referring to the Repkong ngakpas, with the long dreadlocks:

Lama Tharchin Rinpoche was of the Repkong lineage.
Yes i was talking about these yogis:) apparently they don’t always have dreadlocks though (ei. Lama tharchin) which is something i’m very curious about. I had read somewhere that there are many hairstyles which these yogis wear for different reasons. If anyone knows about that, i’m all ears
KonchogUrgyenNyima

pemachophel wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:45 pm Tulku Yeshi Gyamtsho in Seattle is from that area as is Dr. Nida Chenagtsang. Anyen Rinpoche in Denver is from Amdo, but I don't remember if He is from near Rebgong. If you read Dr. Nida's on-line bio, you can learn about the main ngakpa (Nyingma) tradition there stemming from the late 18th-early 19th century. Longchen Nyingthig is strong there. Shabkar Tshog-drug Rang-drol, who was a Longchen Nyingthig lineage-holder, was from Rebgong and was, perhaps, the most famous "native son." Right now, the ngakpas in Rebgong are celebrating the annual Lu-rol (Naga play) ceremonies which draw large crowds from all over. Lots of displays of ngakpa power. You can find videos on Facebook and YouTube.
Thank you Pema Chophel la. Yes studying shabkar lama’s life story is part of what inspired me to inquire about the rebkong lamas. Are there other nyingthigs which are practiced widely in this tradition?
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

KonchogUrgyenNyima wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:26 pm

Thanks in advance!
I am in fact talking about the nyingma yogis. Although this distinction is good to keep in mind. I did not know about this thngka painting school or any gelugpa monastery!

One of the three major styles of thangka painting is from there. The main monastery is gelug, it’s not particularly notable but is a decent size. Quite a lot of the monks are painters. Think it’s the same place as I don’t think there’s two rebkongs in amdo.
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

There is a Rebgong page on Facebook. So if you're interested in that area, you might want to "Like" it.

Also, I forgot to mention that Cho-kyi Go-cha, the terton who revealed the Red Saraswati terma cycle that we received from Lama Dawa Chodrak, was from Rebgong. This cycle includes White Saraswati, Vajrakilaya, a Cho-kyi Go-cha/Manjushri Guru Yoga, two-aremd Kurukulle, Manjushri as Adibuddha, and Dorje Yudronma and Black Dzambhala as the main Protectors. I was told by Dr. Nida that this cycle is still practiced by some in Rebgong. I've tried to find out more about Cho-kyi Go-cha but have never been able. I was hoping to go there to see if I could receive further instruction in this cycle, but now my age and health probably preclude this. Or not.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
ratna

Post by ratna »

Among the Ngakpas of Rebkong,
there are two locally dominant ritual traditions: tantric cycles of the Minling [sMin (grol) gling] tradition on the eastern side of the main valley, or of the Longchen Nyingtik [Klong chen snying thig] on the western side".
You can read more here: https://journals.openedition.org/ateliers/10562#text
Lingpupa

Post by Lingpupa »

You might find this post at the "Perfumed Skull" interesting:
https://perfumedskull.com/2017/03/29/a- ... community/

The whole site is worth a slow read, if you don't yet know it.
All best wishes

"The profundity of your devotion to your lama is not measured by your ability to turn a blind eye."
Ramblings: lunidharma.blogspot.com

Return to “Nyingma”