Prostrations -- from standing or from kneeling

Manjukumaar

Prostrations -- from standing or from kneeling

Post by Manjukumaar »

Pranaam everyone,

I have a question about prostrations in general practice and more advanced practice (such as Ngöndro).

Does it matter whether one performs a prostration from a standing or kneeling position (assuming one makes the Anjali mudra and touches the forehead, throat and heart regions)?

Thanks
zerwe

Re: Prostrations -- from standing or from kneeling

Post by zerwe »

Most often full length prostrations from standing are considered the most beneficial. There are some who teach that the greater numbers of atoms of your body that make contact with the earth, the greater the merit/purification. However, there are also many modifications for those with physical difficulty and you can even simply visualize if necessary. The REAL point is what happens in your mind. I would ask your Lama.

Shaun :namaste:
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

I was told, they are done from standing, but then they may differ:
  • full prostrations by lying on the floor
  • or half prostrations by touching the ground with 5 points: the forehead, two hands and two knees.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Ayu wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:17 pm I was told, they are done from standing, but then they may differ:
  • or half prostrations by touching the ground with 5 points: the forehead, two hands and two knees.
The first is Vikramashila style, the second, Nalanda style.
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

Malcolm wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:23 pm
Ayu wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:17 pm I was told, they are done from standing, but then they may differ:
The first is Vikramashila style, the second, Nalanda style.
My teacher generally recommended Vikramashila style, but I'm unable to do that. Therefore I fell back on Nalanda style.
Soma999

Post by Soma999 »

Prostrating is putting your head, the higher part of your body to the level of the feet of the « object of reverence », the lower part of their body.

That means recognize what they embody is high, and you put yourself in a position of receiving.

You become a suitable vessels for their blessings. You align with their intention, energy and what they embody.

It is much more than a physical action. It really means you put yourself in state of reverence, and as such, allow yourself to open up to get blessings and guidance.

When you understand the meaning of prostration, the physical process is secondary.

Return to “Nyingma”