Samantabhadra's Aspiration Prayer

Yklah

Samantabhadra's Aspiration Prayer

Post by Yklah »

Hi everyone,

I am pretty confused about the next topic, and i would appreciate that some spiritual brohter or sister could clarify this very point to me: according to buddhist philosophy, any notion of a creator God is rejected: a God who exists without a cause and without conditions, and that acts as the creator of all phenomena and sentient beings.

However, in the Samantabhadra's Aspiration Prayer, it is said "I, Samantabhadra, know naturally the ground of dharmadhatu, without cause and condition" as well as "I am the first Buddha ". How should that be taken into account? In this regard, I understand that Samantabhadra Primordial Buddha is by nature enlightened and, therefore, for Him there is no need to travel the path, since being enlightened from the very begining: he has never been an ordinary sentient being. How is posible for someone or something to exist without a cause and conditions?

Thank you very much

Yklah
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Re: Samantabhadra's Aspiration Prayer

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

Yklah wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:03 am Hi everyone,

I am pretty confused about the next topic, and i would appreciate that some spiritual brohter or sister could clarify this very point to me: according to buddhist philosophy, any notion of a creator God is rejected: a God who exists without a cause and without conditions, and that acts as the creator of all phenomena and sentient beings.

However, in the Samantabhadra's Aspiration Prayer, it is said "I, Samantabhadra, know naturally the ground of dharmadhatu, without cause and condition" as well as "I am the first Buddha ". How should that be taken into account? In this regard, I understand that Samantabhadra Primordial Buddha is by nature enlightened and, therefore, for Him there is no need to travel the path, since being enlightened from the very begining: he has never been an ordinary sentient being. How is posible for someone or something to exist without a cause and conditions?

Thank you very much

Yklah
Samantabhadra is not some dude who does stuff.

Here's DJKR, picked it up from the Wiki page but I'm 99% sure it's a legit quote. At any rate, it's exactly the sort of the thing that is taught when peopel ask this question, in my experience:
DJKR wrote:Samantabhadra is not subject to limits of time, place, or physical conditions. Samantabhadra is not a colored being with two eyes, etc. Samantabhadra is the unity of awareness and emptiness, the unity of appearances and emptiness, the nature of mind, natural clarity with unceasing compassion - that is Samantabhadra from the very beginning
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

There are some people, quite confused about the meaning of dzogchen, who mistake Samantabhadra for a creator. Samantabhadra has five subdivisions: teacher, basis, realization, qualities, and result. None of these five are creators.

In this context, the Samantabhadra being referred to is the Samantabhadra of the basis, that is, the nature of the mind.
Natan

Post by Natan »

Thank you very much

Yklah
It is not an existing thing. Mind is non material. It does what it does which is mind. There is no cause or condition why.

Return to “Nyingma”