Yangti Nagpo Question

KonchogUrgyenNyima

Yangti Nagpo Question

Post by KonchogUrgyenNyima »

Hello,

My question is about the YN ngondro. It must have it’s own ngondro correct? What is this called?
Natan

Re: Yangti Nagpo Question

Post by Natan »

It does have one. Tulku Sangag teaches it. Write to Ewam [email protected]
mutsuk

Post by mutsuk »

The title is simply :

Yang ti nag po gser gyi 'bru gcig pa'i sngon 'gro, i.e., The Preliminaries of the Single Golden Syllable of the Black Quintessence.

Then you have :

rDzogs pa chen po yang ti nag po'i sngon 'gro gsol 'debs dang bcas ba, i.e., the Preliminaries of the Black Quintessence of the Great Perfection, together with its supplication prayer.

Other than that, there are also lineage masters prayers, special ngöndro proper (called sNgon 'gro snyan brgyud), and so on.
heart

Post by heart »

mutsuk wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:26 am The title is simply :

Yang ti nag po gser gyi 'bru gcig pa'i sngon 'gro, i.e., The Preliminaries of the Single Golden Syllable of the Black Quintessence.

Then you have :

rDzogs pa chen po yang ti nag po'i sngon 'gro gsol 'debs dang bcas ba, i.e., the Preliminaries of the Black Quintessence of the Great Perfection, together with its supplication prayer.

Other than that, there are also lineage masters prayers, special ngöndro proper (called sNgon 'gro snyan brgyud), and so on.
And Guru, Yidam and Dakini practices, right?

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
mutsuk

Post by mutsuk »

Not in the context of the preliminaries, which was the opening question of the thread.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

KonchogUrgyenNyima wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:48 pm Hello,

My question is about the YN ngondro. It must have it’s own ngondro correct? What is this called?
Dungso Repa’s original transmission was only a zhitro empowerment and practice along with the 7 week instruction. A large amount of ancillary material was added in the 19th century.
mutsuk

Post by mutsuk »

Malcolm wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:30 pm ... was only ...
Obviously not.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

mutsuk wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:25 pm
Obviously not.
If you say so...
mutsuk

Post by mutsuk »

Malcolm wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:43 pm
Obviously not.
If you say so...
Depending on the editions (and not taking into account later additions), it has a root-tantra, a history (lo-rgyus), a karchag, some ngöndros, etc.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

mutsuk wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:53 pm
Malcolm wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:43 pm
Obviously not.
If you say so...
Depending on the editions (and not taking into account later additions), it has a root-tantra, a history (lo-rgyus), a karchag, some ngöndros, etc.
Ok, I agree. The issue is the all the deity yoga practices and so on, these were the later additions to which i was referring.
yagmort

Post by yagmort »

Malcolm wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:33 pm ... The issue is the all the deity yoga practices and so on, these were the later additions to which i was referring...
Malcolm, doest it make earlier/original Yangti Nagpo more along the lines with Vima Nyingtig?
another question is it known who and when made the later additions and why?
and yet another question is it transmitted in its original form nowadays at all?
stay open, spread love
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

yagmort wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:55 am
Malcolm wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:33 pm ... The issue is the all the deity yoga practices and so on, these were the later additions to which i was referring...
Malcolm, doest it make earlier/original Yangti Nagpo more along the lines with Vima Nyingtig?
another question is it known who and when made the later additions and why?
and yet another question is it transmitted in its original form nowadays at all?
We do know who supplemented the treasure cycle, though the name escapes me at the moment. I am not privy to motivations of tertons, so I cannot ascertain why. Chogyal Namkhai Norbu used to give the transmission for the essential dark retreat scrolls, which also form part of his Longsal cycle.
bhava

Post by bhava »

Trulshik Dongag Lingpa added.
https://www.rigpawiki.org/index.php?tit ... gak_Lingpa
I think nowadays those additional aspects of the Yangti - Three Roots - are also thought a lot by Gyalwang Drugpa, I guess.
Danny

Post by Danny »

KonchogUrgyenNyima wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:48 pm Hello,

Yes, but ngondro can just mean “preparation” it can also mean ngondro as a 100,000 type of system,
Modern times appears that there is a 100,000 preparation, stages and paths stuff, but for a traditional Yangti, ngondro can just mean, Making the right preparation for that retreat. I leave it at that.

Modern and traditional here just means what the teacher requires. It’s up to them, and I’m not passing judgement on it.
Last edited by Danny on Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Danny

Post by Danny »

Let me qualify that a little better, vajrayana students can develop certain thought patterns, and feel that a ngondro is required for taking certain practices, so teachers can also develop that pattern, and accommodate students in that way. One feels there’s a reward for doing something’s.
Really it’s down to a mutual students and teachers capacity.
KonchogUrgyenNyima

Crazywisdom wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:52 am It does have one. Tulku Sangag teaches it. Write to Ewam [email protected]
Will do, thank you so much.
KonchogUrgyenNyima

mutsuk wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:26 am The title is simply :

Then you have :

That’s very helpful, thank you

Return to “Nyingma”