Yuthok nyingthig ngondro text?

KonchogUrgyenNyima

Yuthok nyingthig ngondro text?

Post by KonchogUrgyenNyima »

Hello,

I am looking for the Yuthog Nyingthig ngondro practice text. I would prefer a pdf as i am low on funds and don’t want to buy. Any leads as to where to get a good one is greatly appreciated tho.

Thanks so much
FiveSkandhas

Re: Yuthok nyingthig ngondro text?

Post by FiveSkandhas »

What a fascinating path to be on, from what little I can glean of it. It has Ngakpa roots? Would it be incorrect to call it "Vajrayana medicine?"

I once read a fascinating study of Japanese demographics in the plague-hammered 700-900 AD period. The author analyzed the vast number of herbal and medicinal substances involved in some esoteric Shingon-shu Goma fire rites transmitted from Chinese esoteric sources around 800 by Master Kukai. He concluded that for the Japanese of the time at least, the Goma ritual had a huge medicinal function in addition to its role as a more "purely spiritual" esoteric rite. This scholar (whose name sadly escapes me) even saw the ritual-hall architecture designed by Master Kukai as intended to funnel healing smoke down onto the audience for medical purposes. He noted Kukai's trove of esoteric texts from China included long lists of medicinal herbs from far-flung corners of Asia, many still unidentified.

The nexus between medicine and esoteric Buddhism is a deep topic and one shrouded in particular secrecy. I wish you luck in fathoming those depths.

南無阿弥陀仏。
"One should cultivate contemplation in one’s foibles. The foibles are like fish, and contemplation is like fishing hooks. If there are no fish, then the fishing hooks have no use. The bigger the fish is, the better the result we will get. As long as the fishing hooks keep at it, all foibles will eventually be contained and controlled at will." -Zhiyi

"Just be kind." -Atisha
Dorje Shedrub

Post by Dorje Shedrub »

KonchogUrgyenNyima wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:22 am Hello,

I am looking for the Yuthog Nyingthig ngondro practice text. I would prefer a pdf as i am low on funds and don’t want to buy. Any leads as to where to get a good one is greatly appreciated tho.

Thanks so much
https://www.skypressbooks.com/dharma-practice-manuals
Homage to the Precious Dzogchen Master
🙏🌺🙏 Chögyal Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche
🙏🌺🙏
Lingpupa

Post by Lingpupa »

Tibetan medical studies are a huge undertaking, and it is not realistic to do that and at the same time do things like "conventional" ngondro and other heavy duty practice. This ngondro is primarily intended for such students. The required minimums are lighter than in other cases. I was lucky enough to get the transmission from an astonishingly bodhisattva-like teacher. It's a beautiful practice, though the only thing I do from it is the chöd.
All best wishes

"The profundity of your devotion to your lama is not measured by your ability to turn a blind eye."
Ramblings: lunidharma.blogspot.com
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

Dr. Nida's version is an abbreviation or condensation. Very good. However, if you want Jamgon Kongtrul's original version, PM me. But you'll need to get the lung before doing it.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

FiveSkandhas wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:53 am
The nexus between medicine and esoteric Buddhism is a deep topic and one shrouded in particular secrecy. I wish you luck in fathoming those depths.
It is pretty open in Tibetan Buddhism.
Danny

Post by Danny »

It’s baked into the cake.
KonchogUrgyenNyima

FiveSkandhas wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:53 am What a fascinating path to be on, from what little I can glean of it. It has Ngakpa roots? Would it be incorrect to call it "Vajrayana medicine?"

I once read a fascinating study of Japanese demographics in the plague-hammered 700-900 AD period. The author analyzed the vast number of herbal and medicinal substances involved in some esoteric Shingon-shu Goma fire rites transmitted from Chinese esoteric sources around 800 by Master Kukai. He concluded that for the Japanese of the time at least, the Goma ritual had a huge medicinal function in addition to its role as a more "purely spiritual" esoteric rite. This scholar (whose name sadly escapes me) even saw the ritual-hall architecture designed by Master Kukai as intended to funnel healing smoke down onto the audience for medical purposes. He noted Kukai's trove of esoteric texts from China included long lists of medicinal herbs from far-flung corners of Asia, many still unidentified.

南無阿弥陀仏。
Thats interesting stuff, my friend.

Thank you for your well wishing.
KonchogUrgyenNyima

Dorje Shedrub wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:44 am
KonchogUrgyenNyima wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:22 am Hello,

Thanks so much
https://www.skypressbooks.com/dharma-practice-manuals
Good source my friend. Good price great text. Much appreciated.

Return to “Nyingma”