Video on Mipam R and Buddha Nature.

Schrödinger’s Yidam

Video on Mipam R and Buddha Nature.

Post by Schrödinger’s Yidam »

For all you Mipam Rinpoche fans:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=slBWdnUfS8w
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Re: Video on Mipam R and Buddha Nature.

89 views and zero comments. I think that's a record!
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
Matt J

Post by Matt J »

Schrödinger’s Yidam wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:06 am 89 views and zero comments. I think that's a record!
It only takes some seconds or minutes to read a post, but 42 minutes to watch a video requires a lot more commitment.
"The world is made of stories, not atoms."
--- Muriel Rukeyser
amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc »

Most practitioner's prefer this level of teaching from a Scholar practitioner or better a Buddha ,rather than just a Scholar.
treehuggingoctopus

Post by treehuggingoctopus »

amanitamusc wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:51 am Most practitioner's prefer this level of teaching from a Scholar practitioner or better a Buddha ,rather than just a Scholar.
He is a practitioner.

His books are excellent, and easier to follow than the lecture. This is stuff that gets much more accessible on paper.
Générosité de l’invisible.
Notre gratitude est infinie.
Le critère est l’hospitalité.

Edmond Jabès
Schrödinger’s Yidam

This is stuff that gets much more accessible on paper.
I don't think he usually speed wraps like that. I think he had a time limit and was trying to pack 10 pounds of information into a 5 pound time slot.
amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc »

treehuggingoctopus wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:46 am
amanitamusc wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:51 am Most practitioner's prefer this level of teaching from a Scholar practitioner or better a Buddha ,rather than just a Scholar.
He is a practitioner.

His books are excellent, and easier to follow than the lecture. This is stuff that gets much more accessible on paper.
Who are his Teachers?
amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc »

He mentions Khenpo Yeshe as one of his teachers.
https://shedrub.org/news/onlineresource ... sDuckworth

At 40:00 he mentions the Sakya view of Buddha Nature.
treehuggingoctopus

amanitamusc wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:36 am
He is a practitioner.

Who are his Teachers?
TUR and Chokyi Nyima Rinpoche, to begin with.

Edmond Jabès
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

He is a practitioner.

He translates so sor rang gi rig pa'i ye shes incorrectly. Not understanding this one term correctly skews ones whole view. It is not reflexive.
treehuggingoctopus

Malcolm wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:10 pm
He is a practitioner.

He translates so sor rang gi rig pa'i ye shes incorrectly. Not understanding this one term correctly skews ones whole view. It is not reflexive.
Well, sorry to hear this -- but does this influence his argument in "Mipam on Buddha Nature"? Maybe in the context he works with the damage is minimal? (I am genuinely asking -- I have no way of verifying the accuracy of his translations, naturally.)

Edmond Jabès
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

treehuggingoctopus wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:24 pm
Well, sorry to hear this -- but does this influence his argument in "Mipam on Buddha Nature"? Maybe in the context he works with the damage is minimal? (I am genuinely asking -- I have no way of verifying the accuracy of his translations, naturally.)
It appears that he does not understand or misunderstands the intellectual history of the word "rig pa," which is just shorthand for so sor rang gyis rig pa'i ye shes. See Kapstien's article, "We are all gshan stong pas."

Don't misunderstand, he is a very bright person, but this kind of issue can really skew your view.
treehuggingoctopus

Malcolm wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:35 pm
It appears that he does not understand or misunderstands the intellectual history of the word "rig pa," which is just shorthand for so sor rang gyis rig pa'i ye shes. See Kapstien's article, "We are all gshan stong pas."

Don't misunderstand, he is a very bright person, but this kind of issue can really skew your view.
Doubly weird, since Duckworth knows and appreciates the piece and its author in general. I will try to re-read MoBN when I find some time, and see how he deals with the problem.

Edmond Jabès
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

treehuggingoctopus wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:46 pm

Doubly weird, since Duckworth knows and appreciates the piece and its author in general. I will try to re-read MoBN when I find some time, and see how he deals with the problem.
It is extremely clear that the term refers to a gnosis that one realizes for oneself without depending on another. It is the same category of terms like translating rig pa as awareness.
treehuggingoctopus

Malcolm wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:53 pm

It is extremely clear that the term refers to a gnosis that one realizes for oneself without depending on another. It is the same category of terms like translating rig pa as awareness.
I do not dispute your understanding of the term (I could not, anyway, since I do not speak Tibetan). I just wonder how much his misunderstanding messes up the book.

EDIT: Could not wait, and instead of preparing exams had a look at it. It appears that throughout the book he does use reflexive awareness as so sor rang gyis rig pa'i ye shes and related things, and he does speak of reflexivity -- but, curiously, without ever explaining what it is that is meant by the word (well, apart from giving the Tibetan source, but of course to all not very well-versed in the topic this is explaining unknown through unknown). So while it is a faulty translation (as you say) it may have no impact whatsoever on his understanding and the argument in general. It is an almost perfectly contentless marker.

(Seems I really like Mipham. Or have gone bananas.)

Edmond Jabès
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

treehuggingoctopus wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:02 pm So while it is a faulty translation (as you say) it may have no impact whatsoever on his understanding and the argument in general. It is an almost perfectly contentless marker.
It is arguably one of the most important terms in Buddhism. So, one has to wonder.
treehuggingoctopus

Malcolm wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:06 pm
treehuggingoctopus wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:02 pm So while it is a faulty translation (as you say) it may have no impact whatsoever on his understanding and the argument in general. It is an almost perfectly contentless marker.
It is arguably one of the most important terms in Buddhism. So, one has to wonder.
Yes, it is interesting that one may write a very well-researched and perfectly coherent book on the topic without specifying what one of the crucial terms actually means. (On the other hand, this is what the rules of the game allow and in a sense encourage: this is exactly what all philosophy, and perhaps all discourse in general, prominently features: we rely on crucial terms, frameworks, etc., without noting what they mean/do, and often without even noticing that they are there -- and we can quarrel and argument till death do us part without minding the situation for a second. Off to the exams now, before it is too late.)

Edmond Jabès
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

treehuggingoctopus wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:26 pm
Yes, it is interesting that one may write a very well-researched and perfectly coherent book on the topic without specifying what one of the crucial terms actually means. (On the other hand, this is what the rules of the game allow and in a sense encourage: this is exactly what all philosophy, and perhaps all discourse in general, prominently features: we rely on crucial terms, frameworks, etc., without noting what they mean/do, and often without even noticing that they are there -- and we can quarrel and argument till death do us part without minding the situation for a second. Off to the exams now, before it is too late.)
This is why in end, words are useless for understanding Dzogchen.
treehuggingoctopus

Malcolm wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:30 pm
treehuggingoctopus wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:26 pm

This is why in end, words are useless for understanding Dzogchen.
:bow:

Edmond Jabès
Dharmasagara

Post by Dharmasagara »

Malcolm wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:53 pm

Malcom, would you please offer your own rendering of the term so sor rang gyis rig pa'i ye shes?

Thanx in advance

Return to “Nyingma”