Guru Rinpoche devotional practices

Riku19

Guru Rinpoche devotional practices

Post by Riku19 »

Hi! Although I've been interested in Vajrayana for quite some time I currently hold no initiations in any school or lineage nor I had the possibility to meet any lama. I'm not really interested in high tantras (self generation) at the moment, just Guru Rinpoche devotional practices, are there any teachings you recommend me? Front generation practices? Zangdok Palri pure land practices? Any suggestion is greatly appreciated!
Budai

Re: Guru Rinpoche devotional practices

Post by Budai »

Here is some information on Taking Refuge and Bodhisattva Vows Online Formally, And Information On The Drikung Kagyu Lineage!

https://garchen.net is the website of the Garchen Institute, here is some information, and also about how to take Refuge and Bodhisattva Vows Online from afar, any time, Spiritually.

H.E. Garchen Rinpoche.

Liberation on Sight Mantra, Sanskrit.

About the the Spiritual Director, His Eminence Garchen Rinpoche:
His Eminence Garchen Rinpoche is one of the foremost Buddhist masters and accomplished Tibetan Lamas alive in this world today. His compassion, love, wisdom, and spiritual accomplishments are legendary. He is one of the highest Lamas of the Drikung Kagyu Lineage of Tibetan Buddhism and is revered and respected by all the different lineages of Buddhism, and beloved in numerous countries across various continents all over the world. His disciples number in the tens of thousands and his dharma activities pervade everywhere. He is truly a living example of an authentic enlightened being and a great Bodhisattva. Famous throughout the world for his vast realization and great kindness, Rinpoche is truly a wish fulfilling gem, and one of the greatest authentic spiritual masters in the world.

Garchen Rinpoche was born in Eastern Tibet in 1936 and recognized at a very young age as the 8th incarnation of Garchen Rinpoche. From that time, he entered into monastic life and studied and practiced the dharma under many of the highest lamas of the Drikung lineage until the age of 19. Garchen Rinpoche then entered into a traditional three year retreat, which was interrupted after two and a half years due to the Cultural Revolution in China. At that time, after fighting in war to defend Tibet and preserve the Buddha Dharma, Garchen Rinpoche was captured and imprisoned. Garchen Rinpoche spent the next 20 years in prison and labor camps in Communist China. While in prison, Garchen Rinpoche met his root Guru, the great Nyingma master Khenpo Munsel, who gave him many essential teachings and pith instructions. Enduring unfathomable hardships, Rinpoche practiced secretly in prison until he attained great profound realization and merged his mind with his Guru.

Since his release from prison in 1979, Garchen Rinpoche has worked tirelessly to restore, preserve, and spread the teachings and blessings of the Buddha Dharma across Tibet, and later, throughout the entire world. In 1997, Garchen Rinpoche came to America for the first time. He has established his main center, the Garchen Buddhist Institute, in Arizona as well as numerous other centers throughout North America, Europe, Asia and South America. With his immeasurable compassion, vast realization and authentic blessings Rinpoche has inspired and guided thousands of Dharma students and practitioners to cultivate love, bodhichitta, and melt the ice block of self-grasping through dharma practice. He is an eminent master of the practices of Mahamudra and Dzogchen, Tummo, the Six Yogas of Naropa, the 37 Bodhisattva Practices, and many others.
Refuge Tree.
The Lineage:
KAGYU
The lineage of the Kagyu emphasizes the continuity of oral instructions passed on from master to student. This emphasis is reflected in the literal meaning of “Kagyu.” The first syllable “Ka” refers to the scriptures of the Buddha and the oral instructions of the guru. “Ka” has the sense both of the enlightened meaning conveyed by the words of the teacher, as well as the force which such words of insight carries. The second syllable “gyu” means lineage or tradition. Together, these syllables mean “the lineage of the oral instructions.”

DRIKUNG KAGYU
Vajradhara, Tilopa, Naropa, Marpa, Milarepa, Gampopa, Phagmo Drukpa, and Lord Drikungpa. This is the line of the precious golden rosary lineage of the incomparable Drikung Kagyupas. This line is continued unbroken by a stream of realized masters to this very day.

TAKING VOWS ONLINE:

Refuge Vows and information on how to take them from afar:
https://garchen.net/refuge-from-afar/

General Vows page, where Bodhisattva Vow and Renewal Vows can be found, as well as the Refuge Vows:
https://garchen.net/taking-vows-online/

This is what the card they send back to you looks like, once the Vows are completed, filled in with a new Tibetan Dharma Name:

Also, https://garchen.net contains a lot of useful information, from Empowerments to images to texts, so it is a wonderful resource one can explore, when one is determined.

Om Mani Padme Hum!
cjdevries

Post by cjdevries »

I participated in a weekend chanting practice last weekend online with Choegye Drakpa Rinpoche. One of the prayers he taught was this prayer:

It is a devotional prayer to HH Jigme Phuntsok. It references Guru Rinpoche a lot and refers to his Copper Colored Mountain.

Here is the video of him teaching the prayer. He also teaches us how to sing the prayer in a melodic chant if we wish to do that. Also, this lama has a great voice.

"Please call me by my true names so I can wake up; so the door of my heart can be left open: the door of compassion." -Thich Nhat Hanh

"Ask: what's needed of you" -Akong Rinpoche

"Love never claims, it ever gives. Love ever suffers, never resents, never revenges itself." -Gandhi
Soma999

Post by Soma999 »

You can take an online Guru Rinpoche empowerment, even from recorded empowerments - from Garchen Rinpoche.

The 7 chapter prayer is a reference. You can see « vajra sound of peace » from Khenchen Palden Sherab Rinpoche and Khenpo Tsewang Dongyal Rinpoche.

You will get explanations and details of all visualisation for each chapter.

You can also get 2 other books on Guru Rinpoche from the same authors, one about the 8 emanations, the other offering a poetic composition.
Natan

Post by Natan »

Riku19 wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:33 am Hi! Although I've been interested in Vajrayana for quite some time I currently hold no initiations in any school or lineage nor I had the possibility to meet any lama. I'm not really interested in high tantras (self generation) at the moment, just Guru Rinpoche devotional practices, are there any teachings you recommend me? Front generation practices? Zangdok Palri pure land practices? Any suggestion is greatly appreciated!
7 Line Prayer buddy
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Soma999 wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:05 am You can take an online Guru Rinpoche empowerment, even from recorded empowerments - from Garchen Rinpoche.
Caveat emptor. Many lamas, probably a majority, do not accept this.
karmanyingpo

Post by karmanyingpo »

Malcolm wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:19 am
Soma999 wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:05 am You can take an online Guru Rinpoche empowerment, even from recorded empowerments - from Garchen Rinpoche.
This is true, that being said, Garchen Rinpoche is held in extremely high esteem by many lamas.

KN
ma lu dzok pe san gye thop par shok!
Budai

Post by Budai »

Question: would they be "not accepting" of such a practice coming from their own selves based on preference, or are they judging His Enlightened judgement on the matter? Or is it just Expedient Means in Vajrayana?
Natan

Post by Natan »

Kunzang Dechen Lingpa Rinpoche spoke about how he couldn't get into empowerments because he was too poor; so he prayed to Guru Rinpoche with single minded devotion.

Jigmed Lingpa did this with Longchenpa.

Eventually each had clear visions of these masters and got empowerments from them directly. Not that we are going to spend years in a constant devotion prayer, but the lesson is clear.

If you have devotion just pray with devotion for blessings. Guru Rinpoche said he will appear in front of anyone who recites the 7 Line Prayer and recites his mantra. He didn't say only those with wang, lung and tri.

Countless lamas have extolled the benefits of reciting the 7 Line Prayer. Guru Rinpoche is one of a handful who manifested a complete rainbow body with form.

For me such masters are a primary object of refuge, especially when I am so far out of contact with my lamas.
Natan

Post by Natan »

karmanyingpo wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:07 am
Malcolm wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:19 am
This is true, that being said, Garchen Rinpoche is held in extremely high esteem by many lamas.

KN
The Drikung Kagyu approach to these matters is sort of unique among the lineages. Their emphasis on devotion, Bodhicitta and interdependence is the reason. They figure the cream will rise to the top and eventually through connection folks will be by the lama's side and get all the traditional stuff. It's also selective. They reserve the traditional tantric exposure to those entering a three year retreat. So they try to pour on blessings as much as possible.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Könchok Chödrak wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:09 am Question: would they be "not accepting" of such a practice coming from their own selves based on preference, or are they judging His Enlightened judgement on the matter? Or is it just Expedient Means in Vajrayana?
My guru, Chogyal Namkhai Norbu, explicitly rejected the idea that one could receive empowerments and reading transmissions from recordings. This has been discussed here at length. There are many technical reasons why it is not possible, and no argument for why it is possible. Thus, caveat emptor.
Budai

Post by Budai »

Malcolm wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:22 pm
Könchok Chödrak wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:09 am Question: would they be "not accepting" of such a practice coming from their own selves based on preference, or are they judging His Enlightened judgement on the matter? Or is it just Expedient Means in Vajrayana?
My guru, Chogyal Namkhai Norbu, explicitly rejected the idea that one could receive empowerments and reading transmissions from recordings. This has been discussed here at length. There are many technical reasons why it is not possible, and no argument for why it is possible. Thus, caveat emptor.
Is it possible to receive Buddhahood from your own head? Why not an Empowerment from YouTube? Not to challenge your Guru, all respects, just curious on this type of perspective.
Last edited by Budai on Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Budai

Post by Budai »

I mean it's clear that Enlightened Buddhist Teachers do it.. The Dalai Lama, etc. Your Guru, all respects to Him, is just bearing the Torch of Expedient Means to preserve that type of practice most importantly from what it seems. Nothing wrong with that.
Last edited by Budai on Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Könchok Chödrak wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:43 pm I mean it's clear that Enlightened Buddhist Teachers do it.. The Dalai Lama, etc. Your Guru, all respects to Him, is just bearing the Torch of Expedient Means to preserve that type of practice most importantly from what it seems. Nothing wrong with that.
A live transmission over the web is one thing, a recorded empowerment another. You don’t understand Vajrayana. A transmission is like a pebble handed from one person to another. Can you take a pebble from the hand of a recording? This is the analogy.

I am pointing out that most lamas, 99%, don’t agree with this approach. It’s highly controversial in Tibetan circles.
philji

Post by philji »

Malcolm wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:35 pm
Könchok Chödrak wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:43 pm I mean it's clear that Enlightened Buddhist Teachers do it.. The Dalai Lama, etc. Your Guru, all respects to Him, is just bearing the Torch of Expedient Means to preserve that type of practice most importantly from what it seems. Nothing wrong with that.
A live transmission over the web is one thing, a recorded empowerment another. You don’t understand Vajrayana. A transmission is like a pebble handed from one person to another. Can you take a pebble from the hand of a recording? This is the analogy.

I am pointing out that most lamas, 99%, don’t agree with this approach. It’s highly controversial in Tibetan circles.
Controversial doesn't have to mean wrong. Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche was also considered controversial. If you have trust in Garchen Rinpoche go for it.
Soma999

Post by Soma999 »

I have confidence Garchen Rinpoche is a lama who can be trusted to give the water of pure dharma. He is a highly realised lama and he radiates love and openess, with integrity.

Yes he is controversial in his approach with initiations, so what ? That just means he is not blindly following some conventions. In many other aspects he understand the essence of certain rules to know how to apply them in modern life. He is modern.

The Sambhogakāya form of the lama transmits the initiations, and is not bounded by space and time. The initiation is transmitted in consciousness and it can take many forms.

The human being is just a human being, se fragile and limited. But the Guru principle is not his or her flesh, and is not bound by time and space.

This is not the vase or water or pills that trnasmit the initiations. It is just a support. Consciousness uses those symbols but can use many other things.

The crucial part of any initiation is ourself and our motivation.

If you take a recorded empowerment out of lazyness, that is not a proper motivation. Taken because you long for it and have no other way, and it speaks to you, and you prepare yourself for it, that is from my point of view a good motivation.

When some lamas say about students of Sogyal rinpoche they broke samaya because they do not accept his negative behaviour and spoke against it, some find that normal, you know samaya, so sacred... But are shocked because a highly realised lama transmits initiations in unconventional ways.

It's a matter of perspective i guess. I prefer to follow those who takes Love, Bodicitta as the crucial essence of the path. Garchen Rinpoche is one of them.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Soma999 wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:38 pm

The Sambhogakāya form of the lama transmits the initiations, and is not bounded by space and time.
The student is bound by space and time. Not only that, but the creation and dissolution of the mandala for any given initiation is bound by space and time.
The initiation is transmitted in consciousness.
No, an initiation is transmitted through body and speech. The idea an initiation is transmitted mind to mind is just a fantasy and is not supported on the basis of any Buddhist tantra.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

philji wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:09 pm Controversial doesn't have to mean wrong. Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche was also considered controversial. If you have trust in Garchen Rinpoche go for it.
Correct, controversial does not mean wrong. It means controversial. It means that there are doubts.

The purpose of pointing this out is that people need to know, if they have many teachers, that some of their teachers very likely will not accept the point of view that Garchen Rinpoche, a perfectly lovely and compassionate bodhisattva, is promulgating. The point is not to find fault with Garchen Rinpoche. The point that people should be aware that most lamas will not accept recorded empowerments as valid. That's just a fact, and people should be aware of this.
WeiHan

Post by WeiHan »

But all Dharma practices have to voice down to developing these three spiritual qualities: renunciation, bodhicitta and direction perception of emptiness. Without these, all devotional practices, any practices are just rituals and exercises for body , speech and mind.
philji

Post by philji »

Malcolm wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:24 pm
philji wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:09 pm Controversial doesn't have to mean wrong. Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche was also considered controversial. If you have trust in Garchen Rinpoche go for it.
Correct, controversial does not mean wrong. It means controversial. It means that there are doubts.

The purpose of pointing this out is that people need to know, if they have many teachers, that some of their teachers very likely will not accept the point of view that Garchen Rinpoche, a perfectly lovely and compassionate bodhisattva, is promulgating. The point is not to find fault with Garchen Rinpoche. The point that people should be aware that most lamas will not accept recorded empowerments as valid. That's just a fact, and people should be aware of this.
Very True, good point.

Return to “Nyingma”