Guru Rinpoche devotional practices

Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Re: Guru Rinpoche devotional practices

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

I mean, he also says to make the livestream if you can.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Garchen R. also says you should watch the livestreams if you can. So it's not like the things he says are some endorsement of viewing yourself as fully empowered to do a practice because a Youtube video shows up in your feed or something.

-Khunu Lama
Charlie123

Post by Charlie123 »

@JohnnyDangerous

Your posts are not showing up in this thread for some reason. I had to read them in “Search User Posts”.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Charlie123 wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:41 pm @JohnnyDangerous

Your posts are not showing up in this thread for some reason. I had to read them in “Search User Posts”.
Yeah, weird bug.

I was just saying that Garchen R recommends watching the livestreams when people can.

Not to be rude, but if someone is just skimming YouTube videos for empowerment, that is a lazy attempt to make a connection, generally speaking. I figure a lazy connection is better than none but...

To my mind the earnestness of the attempt to connect to the Guru and the lineage have to be in play in a question like this.

-Khunu Lama
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

Johnny Dangerous wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:58 pm
Charlie123 wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:41 pm @JohnnyDangerous

Yeah, weird bug.

I was just saying that Garchen R recommends watching the livestreams when people can.

Not to be rude, but if someone is just skimming YouTube videos for empowerment, that is a lazy attempt to make a connection, generally speaking. I figure a lazy connection is better than none but...

To my mind the earnestness of the attempt to connect to the Guru and the lineage have to be in play in a question like this.
This is a good point.

HEGr gives major empowerments online pretty much every few months. Because he's not travelling, the timezone may be inconvenient, but really, if you're aiming to liberate all beings from suffering, you should be able to stay up late at night for this at least once. Now he might not be giving the exact empowerment or teaching you want to receive, but over the course of a 3-6 month period he will almost certainly give a general instruction like the 37 practices, an important empowerment that is sufficient for liberation, and meditation instructions of some kind. And then there's the teachings offered by his khenpos too. So really nobody *has* to receive empowerment by recording: perhaps you missed Tsewang Dzinpa, but soon there will be a Yamantaka empowerment, or Tara, or some other HYT deity, and if you practice those seriously they are all sufficient. If you have a little patience and are willing to undergo just a little inconvenience, you will be able to receive everything you need from him live.
muni

Post by muni »

Riku19 wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:33 am Hi! Although I've been interested in Vajrayana for quite some time I currently hold no initiations in any school or lineage nor I had the possibility to meet any lama. I'm not really interested in high tantras (self generation) at the moment, just Guru Rinpoche devotional practices, are there any teachings you recommend me? Front generation practices? Zangdok Palri pure land practices? Any suggestion is greatly appreciated!
Me is told its very much important to understand devotion since this is necessary for dissolving our dualistic ideas, our opinions keeping us in samsara. There is as well told it depends on own mind how we see the Guru. When we see the Guru as human, we get teachings from a human. When we see the Guru as a Bodhisattva... When we see the Guru as Buddha...then recognizing the inseparability since there is no any wall in between.

There are the inseparable three Kayas. Dharmakaya is open-vast-no boundaries-no preferences and so no pure or impure, no high or low, no this or that. In that way all dualities dissolved as never been. https://www.lionsroar.com/buddhism-by-t ... ree-kayas/

Samsara needs thoughts' ideas, and these are keeping separation. Therefore we need at least to completely trust a Master, who is helping us out of our habitual karmic views, which keep suffering/harm.

Many texts are there, but they as well could give us food for more ideation by our karmic tendencies instead of be freed from them.

When a Master/Buddha is recommending us a particular text, it is because that particular one may help.
muni

Post by muni »

Devotional Chant. _/\_ _/\_ _/\_

Dorje Shedrub

Post by Dorje Shedrub »

Guru Rinpoche's Seven Line Prayer and mantra.
Homage to the Precious Dzogchen Master
🙏🌺🙏 Chögyal Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche
🙏🌺🙏
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

Johnny Dangerous wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:58 pm

Not to mention that there is the caveat that Garchen Rinpoche often mentions that one with devotion and the motivation of bodhicitta will for sure receive the empowerment.

I have a hard time with devotion and bodhicitta even on the cussion right in front of my lama. So you know... we should not be kidding ourselves that just watching a video is enough.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
Natan

Post by Natan »

How is this debate about online empowerments not off topic? You don't need an empowerment to practice devotion. You don't need an empowerment to practice Bodhicitta. That's Garchen Rinpoche's point, anyway. And who engages in a serious practice after an online empowerment? This is all for making connections for the future when one is really ready to dedicate time to dharma, and practice like the 37 Practices of a Bodhisattva. And what does all this Drikungpa business have to do with devotion to Guru Padmasambhava? He's not in the lineage prayers there

Anyone can recite the 7 Line Prayer and recite his mantra. In fact, I would suspect the farther away you are from a lama the more this will bring blessings. And what are blessings? Being at ease, feeling good, clarity of mind, seeing one's inner purity, stability, etc.
Last edited by Natan on Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Soma999

Post by Soma999 »

I found this documentary which explains a little on each manifestation of Guru Rinpoche :

cjdevries

Post by cjdevries »

Thanks for posting this. I watched it a couple days ago and found it inspiring. I recently read this article about a man's encounters with Guru Rinpoche when he went and visited many of the Guru's sacred sites. One night after visiting a holy site he had a dream of Guru Rinpoche where the teacher spoke to him through colors and sound rather than words: https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/o ... ist-mystic
"Please call me by my true names so I can wake up; so the door of my heart can be left open: the door of compassion." -Thich Nhat Hanh

"Ask: what's needed of you" -Akong Rinpoche

"Love never claims, it ever gives. Love ever suffers, never resents, never revenges itself." -Gandhi
Jangchup Donden

Post by Jangchup Donden »

Riku19 wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:33 am Hi! Although I've been interested in Vajrayana for quite some time I currently hold no initiations in any school or lineage nor I had the possibility to meet any lama. I'm not really interested in high tantras (self generation) at the moment, just Guru Rinpoche devotional practices, are there any teachings you recommend me? Front generation practices? Zangdok Palri pure land practices? Any suggestion is greatly appreciated!
Bardor Tulku Rinpoche's lineage has an amazing ngöndro with Guru Rinpoche as the central figure in the refuge tree, and then there are additional Guru Rinpoche practices in his Nangsi Zilnon form, "He Who Overpowers All that Appears and Exists", in varying lengths of the Four Sadhanas of the Vidyadhara Guru's mind. We do a monthly tsök practice with a medium length version, and then there is a shorter version that Rinpoche composed for daily practice. They are extremely wonderful.

Return to “Nyingma”