Nyingmapa equivalent of Gampopa's Jewel Ornament?

Dharmasagara

Nyingmapa equivalent of Gampopa's Jewel Ornament?

Post by Dharmasagara »

Hi everybody,
I wonder whether there is a good, easy to read and apply classical text of introduction to the sutra stage of practice (i.e. the first three of the nine yanas) in the Nyingmapa realm. Though of course every commentary to ngöndro (e.g. Patrul’s Words of my Perfect Teacher or Düdjom Jigdral Yeshe Dorje’s Torch Lighting the Way to Freedom) provides guidance here, I haven’t yet found a text comparable to the presentation in Gampopa’s Jewel Ornament of Liberation in terms of clarity, brevity and thoroughness (that fact that Gampopa superimposes Atisha’s Graduate Path structure of no importance for me).

So, if you have other texts in mind I would be happy to hear them. Of course, translated texts are easier to read, but please don’t hesitate to name not yet translated ones.
Thank you!
GrapeLover

Re: Nyingmapa equivalent of Gampopa's Jewel Ornament?

Post by GrapeLover »

Volume 1 of Treasury of Precious Qualities by Jigme Lingpa with the commentary by Kangyur Rinpoche would be a good one
Natan

Post by Natan »

Mipham's Gateway to Knowledge is really classy. It comes in several thin volumes. It should be one book, but I found it to be equal to Gampopa's text.
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

Dharmasagara wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:17 am Hi everybody,
I wonder whether there is a good, easy to read and apply classical text of introduction to the sutra stage of practice (i.e. the first three of the nine yanas) in the Nyingmapa realm. Though of course every commentary to ngöndro (e.g. Patrul’s Words of my Perfect Teacher or Düdjom Jigdral Yeshe Dorje’s Torch Lighting the Way to Freedom) provides guidance here, I haven’t yet found a text comparable to the presentation in Gampopa’s Jewel Ornament of Liberation in terms of clarity, brevity and thoroughness (that fact that Gampopa superimposes Atisha’s Graduate Path structure of no importance for me).

So, if you have other texts in mind I would be happy to hear them. Of course, translated texts are easier to read, but please don’t hesitate to name not yet translated ones.
Thank you!
I mean you won't find one easily. Gampopa is just supreme and his book is even more than Patrul's Words useful for every single lineage. If you were a student of ChNNR I'd suggest The Precious Vase, otherwise I don't know much.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
Yungdrung Gyalpo

Post by Yungdrung Gyalpo »

The best Nyingma equivalent would be Longchenpa's rDzogs pa chen po sems nyid ngal gso, which has been translated twice at least in English, once long ago by Guenther as vol. 1 of Kindly Bent to Ease Us, and then by the Padmakara people as Finding Rest in the Nature of the Mind, Shambhala (2017) – ISBN-10 : 1611805163 / ISBN-13 : 978-1611805161. This later version is surely better, I have not read it, but it is surely more sober than Guenther's, which is not without value, but definitely odd and pointlessly complicated.
Sonam Wangchug

Post by Sonam Wangchug »

Lamrim Yeshe Nyingpo (Certain parts restricted)
"To have confidence in the teacher is the ultimate refuge." -Rigzin Jigme Lingpa

Return to “Nyingma”