When do I take initiation / empowerment?

Padmist

When do I take initiation / empowerment?

Post by Padmist »

I started reading WOMPT.

What is an initiation/empowerment and when do I get one?

How long does it take? Hours? Days?

Do I have to go somewhere to a retreat?

How much does it cost?
Terma

Re: When do I take initiation / empowerment?

Post by Terma »

Padmist wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:26 pm I started reading WOMPT.

How much does it cost?
Take your time, looking back you may see that it is great advice and many of us might joke that we could have listened a little better to this!

Please see my thoughts in you other post.
Crazywisdom

Post by Crazywisdom »

Padmist wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:26 pm I started reading WOMPT.

How much does it cost?
What is WOMPT?
It is the beginning of the path of Vajrayana. Get one at the beginning.
Some are one day some are weeks.
It is the tradition to leave an initiation into a retreat. But in the USA you go to a mixer with hors d'oeuvres.
Usually between $100-$1000. But have cash on hand. I was at an initiation was supposed to be one week. Then the lama decided to add some stuff into two weeks. There was not enough food on the mountain. One nun went crazy and drove her car off a cliff. We had to chip in for the crane to lift her out of a tree. We are a lot of oatmeal
zerwe

Post by zerwe »

Hi.

I consider myself to be an ardent student and I didn't receive the type of initiation you are referring to
until after 9-10 years of practice and study.

To be fair I don't know that I am certain that I would consider myself "ready" (If that is really a thing or not I don't know).

Take your time.

Shaun :namaste:
Padmist

Post by Padmist »

Crazywisdom wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:53 pm
What is WOMPT?
It is the tradition to leave an initiation into a retreat. But in the USA you go to a mixer with hors d'oeuvres.
Usually between $100-$1000. But have cash on hand. I was at an initiation was supposed to be one week. Then the lama decided to add some stuff into two weeks. There was not enough food on the mountain. One nun went crazy and drove her car off a cliff. We had to chip in for the crane to lift her out of a tree. We are a lot of oatmeal
Greetings again crazywisdom. Thanks for your replies.

WOMPT - Words of my Perfect Teacher. The book (ngondro longechen nyitig) by Nyingma.

Given Covid-19 pandemic, is it possible to get initiation remotely via zoom? Do you know of any on top of mind that you can recommend?
Crazywisdom

Post by Crazywisdom »

Padmist wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:53 am
Crazywisdom wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:53 pm
What is WOMPT?
Greetings again crazywisdom. Thanks for your replies.

WOMPT - Words of my Perfect Teacher. The book (ngondro longechen nyitig) by Nyingma.

Given Covid-19 pandemic, is it possible to get initiation remotely via zoom? Do you know of any on top of mind that you can recommend?
You know WOMPT but do not know what a tantra or terma is?

There are varying opinions about electric transmission. The consensus is live is a must. But one super master by the name of Garchen refutes that and says faith is a must. I agree with Garchen. No intelligent wannabe would dispute the likes of Garchen.

That means you can take initiation from YouTube. And it is free. And no one can manipulate you. What if it were true? I know it is true.

So unless you are grasping for a little known teaching and remote teacher just go on youtube, download a Sadhanas and whisper mantras
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

Crazywisdom wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:15 pm
There are varying opinions about electric transmission. The consensus is live is a must. But one super master by the name of Garchen refutes that and says faith is a must. I agree with Garchen. No intelligent wannabe would dispute the likes of Garchen.

That means you can take initiation from YouTube. And it is free. And no one can manipulate you. What if it were true? I know it is true.

So unless you are grasping for a little known teaching and remote teacher just go on youtube, download a Sadhanas and whisper mantras

I think. live broadcast for online empowerment is a must, because it increases the faith extraordinarily.
It's not "faith beats live". Both aspects are dependently connected, I bet.
For the benefit and ease of all sentient beings. :heart:
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

In some lineages, right away. In others, not for a while. You should probably at least get a lung for your Ngondro practice though.
"...if you think about how many hours, months and years of your life you've spent looking at things, being fascinated by things that have now passed away, then how wonderful to spend even five minutes looking into the nature of your own mind."

-James Low
tingdzin

Post by tingdzin »

:good: Simply but well put. Read WOMPT and absorb it, and many questions will be answered. Don't be in too big a rush. Initial fevered enthusiasms tend to evaporate.

Return to “Nyingma”