best drubkhang

sato

best drubkhang

Post by sato »

In your opinion (apart from ones own Lama or lineage) what is the best Nyingma 3-years retreat center:

1. in Nepal
2. in India
3. in EU
4. in US

'the best' I mean: most traditional, best qualified Tibetan teacher, food and room easy available.
pema tsultrim

Re: best drubkhang

Post by pema tsultrim »

Are you referring to traditional Nyingma 3-year retreat centers that are set up specifically for non-Tibetans?

The ones I know of are:

Pema Osel Ling / Vajrayana Foundation in Santa Cruz, CA (Dudjom Tersar)
Chanteloube in Dordogne, France (Nyingthig)

There are folks on here who have completed drupdra at POL, and maybe at Chanteloube as well, who could tell you more.

There are also long term retreat opportunities in Crestone, CO at several Nyingma centers with excellent lamas, but to my knowledge they don't offer guided 3 year retreats. There is the Palyul retreat center of Khenpo Namdrol in Pharping/Yangleshod, Nepal, but I don't know if they admit non-Tibetans. Perhaps Malcom knows about K.N.R.'s center.

There seem to be many more Kagyu drupkhangs for non-Tibetan students.
sato

Post by sato »

Are you referring to traditional Nyingma 3-year retreat centers that are set up specifically for non-Tibetans?
Thanks Pema Tsultrim

I am not referring to the retreat centers that are set up specifically for non-Tibetans.
If you know Tibetan language and can manage Indian or Nepali Visa, you can do a retreat with Tibetan Lamas in Nepal and so on.
I know a monk from Poland (Damcho Zangpo) who did retreat at Khenchen Namdrol Rinpoche's drubkhang in Yanglesho, and a lad from Norway who did the same at Thrangu Rinpoche's drubkhang in Namo Buddha (you see, you don't even have to be a monk)
There are some exceptions though, for example Shechen retreat center in Namo Buddha has a policy that don't admit non-Himalayans people (from the administrative reasons, I suppose)

One of the few good reasons to be born in the West is that we have much freedom to do what we like.
Last edited by Ayu on Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed quote.
yagmort

Post by yagmort »

sato wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:05 am ...
I know a monk from Poland (Damcho Zangpo) who did retreat at Khenchen Namdrol Rinpoche's drubkhang in Yanglesho, and a lad from Norway who did the same at Thrangu Rinpoche's drubkhang in Namo Buddha (you see, you don't even have to be a monk)...
i have also heard at least about 2 westerners who completed 3 year retreat in nepal, one from drikung who stayed at Lachi and another one from chokcling tersar. what always puzzles me is how did they circumvent visa restrictions? i've met one fella from uk at Tranghu Rinpoche's monastery at namobuddha who had stayed there for an year already. he wasn't on retreat, just learning tibetan language. so obviously there are ways to stay long term in nepal. anyone can share how you do it?
stay open, spread love
philji

Post by philji »

yagmort wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:01 am
I know a monk from Poland (Damcho Zangpo) who did retreat at Khenchen Namdrol Rinpoche's drubkhang in Yanglesho, and a lad from Norway who did the same at Thrangu Rinpoche's drubkhang in Namo Buddha (you see, you don't even have to be a monk)...
i have also heard at least about 2 westerners who completed 3 year retreat in nepal, one from drikung who stayed at Lachi and another one from chokcling tersar. what always puzzles me is how did they circumvent visa restrictions? i've met one fella from uk at Tranghu Rinpoche's monastery at namobuddha who had stayed there for an year already. he wasn't on retreat, just learning tibetan language. so obviously there are ways to stay long term in nepal. anyone can share how you do it?
Study visas are available if you are connected to certain institutes/ organizations. Check out RYI. Org for info.
Arnoud

Post by Arnoud »

yagmort wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:01 am
You can buy “business” visas if you have some connections. In Nepal at least.
bryandavis

Post by bryandavis »

My experience in India was this: The monastery / retreat center would usually have a good report with the local police FRO. I had a tourist visa. I think 2500 rupees is what I paid for a 10 year resident permit. This allowed me to not leave. Gotta love bribes in some ways.
yagmort

Post by yagmort »

philji wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:56 pm Study visas are available if you are connected to certain institutes/ organizations. Check out RYI.org for info.
yep but don't you suppose to study? i mean from what i understand you can not spend 3 year in retreat while having student visa and never visiting classes?

Arnoud, thanks, good to know. are there any conditions you need to fulfill with business visa which could deter from going to retreat?

bryandavis, you got us passport?
stay open, spread love
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Post by Schrödinger’s Yidam »

In general, the reputation of 3 year retreats in India and the Himalayas is that that they are too tough for Westerners (food, heat, cold, clean, etc.) and the local retreatants are not welcoming. Plus everything is in Tibetan exclusively

Anyway that is the stereotype.
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
bryandavis

Post by bryandavis »

I had u.s. visa.

Student visas wont work generally. Conditions will not be up to 1st world standards, many people
quit.

Food quality / nutrition density is sub standard. Most likley will not get same treatment as ethnic majority.

Prepare to feel abondoned. Prepare to have at least 5 to 10k cash for food/ emergency/ re entry to life after retreat needs.

Get ready to have no lineage support after your retreat, as in do not expect to be housed, fed, given the title of lama etc.

Drop all fantasies associated with what being alone will be like for that length of time. Also you might have a bunk mate for the whole time.

If it is a group retreat get ready for all the social problems you are used to but add language, tribalism and other amplified conditions.

In otherwords.... you are going to have to choose being very uncomfortable.

If you are poor and have no support or stable place or situation to re enter when done, prepare for that as well.

Of course much joy and openess come also, but there is a price.

My two cents.
Arnoud

Post by Arnoud »

yagmort wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:52 pm
philji wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:56 pm Study visas are available if you are connected to certain institutes/ organizations. Check out RYI.org for info.
yep but don't you suppose to study? i mean from what i understand you can not spend 3 year in retreat while having student visa and never visiting classes?

Arnoud, thanks, good to know. are there any conditions you need to fulfill with business visa which could deter from going to retreat?

bryandavis, you got us passport?
I don''t know. Sorry.
Soma999

Post by Soma999 »

There are three years retreat at home (you still work and live a social life) which exists.

Traditionally it is done in complete retreat. But the context now is not the same.

You can learn a lot but being in the world and integrating the teaching this way.

Check your intention, what you really want. Sometime yes people want liberation... but they also want status, power, a lama title... and they they want to do this or that to get recognition, fame...

If you have a pure intention, a strictly traditional 3 year retreat is not necessarily the best.

And you may ask yourself if the context of a three year retreat is necessarily the best for you.

You can learn with a good teacher at home also.
philji

Post by philji »

Better to find a good teacher to give instructions and do retreat at home.

Return to “Nyingma”