Info on Khandro Nyingthig

KonchogUrgyenNyima

Info on Khandro Nyingthig

Post by KonchogUrgyenNyima »

Hello all,

I'm interested in seeking the Khandro Nyingthig teachings and empowerments. I cannot find any information about this terma online, besides something about liberation through wearing.
what i want to know: does this terma have a set of practices that go along with it? or, rather, is it a set of teachings which are to be contemplated? is it both?

Are there specific deities that go along with it? what are they?

I do recognize that these questions may be sensitive and i encourage people not to compromise samaya, obviously.
its been hard to find information on the Khandro Nyingthig because one must have empowerment to read the texts, but i want to have an idea of what i'm getting into before i seek out the empowerment.

Thanks so much, and may all beings benefit.

Your Friend,
Nyima
jet.urgyen

Re: Info on Khandro Nyingthig

Post by jet.urgyen »

KonchogUrgyenNyima wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 7:15 pm Hello all,

I'm interested in seeking the Khandro Nyingthig teachings and empowerments. I cannot find any information about this terma online, besides something about liberation through wearing.
what i want to know: does this terma have a set of practices that go along with it? or, rather, is it a set of teachings which are to be contemplated? is it both?

Are there specific deities that go along with it? what are they?

I do recognize that these questions may be sensitive and i encourage people not to compromise samaya, obviously.
its been hard to find information on the Khandro Nyingthig because one must have empowerment to read the texts, but i want to have an idea of what i'm getting into before i seek out the empowerment.

Thanks so much, and may all beings benefit.

Your Friend,
Nyima
As i understand the Khandro Nyingthig is contained, along with the Vima Nyingthig, in the Longchen Nyingthig. So practically you can find information about it in the longchen nyigthig lineage (teachers, texts, etc.).
true dharma is inexpressible.

The bodhisattva nourishes from bodhicitta, through whatever method the Buddha has given him. Oh joy.
fckw

Post by fckw »

I'd also be interested to know which teachers are known to every now and then teach the Khandro Nyingthik cycle.
KonchogUrgyenNyima

fckw wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 9:13 pm I'd also be interested to know which teachers are known to every now and then teach the Khandro Nyingthik cycle.
I'll second that.
Guru Dragpo

Post by Guru Dragpo »

The Khandro Nyingthig is the heart essence of the Dzogchen lineage and the main practice of Dzogchen Monastery. The 3rd Dzogchen Rinpoche, Ngedön Tendzin Zangpo, composed the Dzogchen Khandro Nyingthig, a commentary of both the preliminary and the most secret practices of Dzogchen. His Eminence Dzogchen Rinpoche, holder of the Khandro Nyingthig, teaches from this commentary, continuing the transmission of this unbroken lineage
Pero

Post by Pero »

javier.espinoza.t wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 8:14 pm As i understand the Khandro Nyingthig is contained, along with the Vima Nyingthig, in the Longchen Nyingthig. So practically you can find information about it in the longchen nyigthig lineage (teachers, texts, etc.).
No, Khandro Nyingthig is not in Longchen Nyingthig. It is in Nyingthig Yabzhi. But also there are many cycles called Khandro Nyingthig. Pema Lingpa's treasures are also considered to belong Khandro Nyingthig for example (and are not in Nyingthig Yabzhi). (Also Longsal is Khandro Nyingthig haha.)
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

Cortland Dahl translated some texts on Ngondro related to this cycle. But it is Nyingthik, so the simple answer is that Khandro Nyingthig contains complete Dzogchen upadesha for the entire path, including liturgical practices and pith instructions on trekcho and Togal.
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
heart

Post by heart »

Pero wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 10:23 pm
javier.espinoza.t wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 8:14 pm As i understand the Khandro Nyingthig is contained, along with the Vima Nyingthig, in the Longchen Nyingthig. So practically you can find information about it in the longchen nyigthig lineage (teachers, texts, etc.).
No, Khandro Nyingthig is not in Longchen Nyingthig. It is in Nyingthig Yabzhi. But also there are many cycles called Khandro Nyingthig. Pema Lingpa's treasures are also considered to belong Khandro Nyingthig for example (and are not in Nyingthig Yabzhi). (Also Longsal is Khandro Nyingthig haha.)
The Longchen Nyingtik is taught to contain the essence of both Vima and Khandro Nyingtik. However it has its own sadhanas and teachings and so on. In a sense all Nyingtik teachings are like that having either its source with Padmasambhava or Vimalamitra.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
heart

Post by heart »

conebeckham wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 12:26 am Cortland Dahl translated some texts on Ngondro related to this cycle. But it is Nyingthik, so the simple answer is that Khandro Nyingthig contains complete Dzogchen upadesha for the entire path, including liturgical practices and pith instructions on trekcho and Togal.
https://www.shambhala.com/great-perfection-2235.html (Ngondro)
https://www.shambhala.com/great-perfect ... me-ii.html (Rushan)

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Kris

Post by Kris »

IIRC the main deities are Hayagriva/Vajravarahi.
The profound path of the master.
-- Virūpa, Vajra Lines
KonchogUrgyenNyima

Wow! Thank you all for your time and effort answering my little questions! so sweet of you all.
I hope everyone is doing okay out there.

Does anyone have any insight into the "liberation by wearing" bit? I would love to print out the terma and wear it, but i assume that would be a no-no since i'm not empowered for it. Even if i didn't read the terma.

Does anyone know if there happens to be any Chod practices within the Khandro Nyingthig?

haha, sorry if my questions are silly or don't make sense i'm really just learning.
Thanks again for taking the time to answer my post, it has been really helpful.
Yeti

Post by Yeti »

The Khandro Nyingthig and the Vima Nyingthig from the Nyingthig Yabshi are deeper practices than the standard Nyingthiks one enters after ngon.dro. What I have been taught is that you first go through doing the maha, anu and ati practices of, say. the Longchen Nyingthik first, then one moves onto either of these deeper Nyingthiks.

The empowerments were never given out freely in the past, but it's now more easy to receive them.

We were told that Kyabje Trulshik Rinpoche did 30 years retreat on the Nyingthik Yabshi.

Also, HH Dalai Lama requested these transmissions from HH Dudjom Rinpoche, but never received them. Then the same happened with HH Dilgo Khyentse. HH Dalai Lama finally received the 5th one, in the series of 5 from the Nyingthik Yabshi from HH Trulshik Rinpoche, (I guess as a display on how difficult it is to create the merit to receive them)
"People are fond of saying all sorts of things about others behind their backs, mentioning their names again and again. Instead of slandering others in this way, “slander” the yidam: utter his name repeatedly by reciting his mantra all the time." - Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche - Zurchungpa’s Testament - Shambhala Publications
KonchogUrgyenNyima

Yeti wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 10:44 pm The Khandro Nyingthig and the Vima Nyingthig from the Nyingthig Yabshi are deeper practices than the standard Nyingthiks one enters after ngon.dro. What I have been taught is that you first go through doing the maha, anu and ati practices of, say. the Longchen Nyingthik first, then one moves onto either of these deeper Nyingthiks.

The empowerments were never given out freely in the past, but it's now more easy to receive them.

We were told that Kyabje Trulshik Rinpoche did 30 years retreat on the Nyingthik Yabshi.

Also, HH Dalai Lama requested these transmissions from HH Dudjom Rinpoche, but never received them. Then the same happened with HH Dilgo Khyentse. HH Dalai Lama finally received the 5th one, in the series of 5 from the Nyingthik Yabshi from HH Trulshik Rinpoche, (I guess as a display on how difficult it is to create the merit to receive them)
thans for responding this is valuable information. I appreciate you taking the time to do so.
Yeti

Post by Yeti »

http://rywiki.tsadra.org/index.php/Nyingtik_Yabshi

Also specific lineages tend to practice either the Khandro Nyingthig (lineage of Padmasambhava) or the Vima Nyingthig (lineage of Vimalamitra).

Such as the lineage from Dzogchen Monastery tends to associate with the Khandro Nyingthig

Whereas Shechen Monastery tends to associate with the Vima Nyingthig. In the case of Shechen, I would understand this as the Khyentse incarnation line being more seen as emanations of Vimalamitra.
"People are fond of saying all sorts of things about others behind their backs, mentioning their names again and again. Instead of slandering others in this way, “slander” the yidam: utter his name repeatedly by reciting his mantra all the time." - Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche - Zurchungpa’s Testament - Shambhala Publications
Yungdrung Gyalpo

Post by Yungdrung Gyalpo »

There is no Chod system in the Khandro Nyingthik. Neither in the Bima Nyingthik. There is one in the Gongpa Zangthal, though, called Sangwa Mejung – while the Gongpa Zangthal is otherwise similar to the Khandro Nyingthik in many regards.

By the way, there is not only this lineage of the Khandro Nyingthik through Longchenpa. There is another one, at least, that used to be passed through the Karma Kagyü tradition. Karmapa III Rangjung Dorje wrote a quite interesting practice manual. This lineage is connected to Rinchen Lingpa and was transmitted by Yungtönpa Dorjepal, etc. I am not aware if this lineage is still alive or not.
FiveSkandhas

Post by FiveSkandhas »

I just wanted to note that threads like this are what really makes DharmaWheel shine. The amount of knowledge here never ceases to impress me.

:anjali:
"One should cultivate contemplation in one’s foibles. The foibles are like fish, and contemplation is like fishing hooks. If there are no fish, then the fishing hooks have no use. The bigger the fish is, the better the result we will get. As long as the fishing hooks keep at it, all foibles will eventually be contained and controlled at will." -Zhiyi

"Just be kind." -Atisha
Yungdrung Gyalpo

Post by Yungdrung Gyalpo »

FiveSkandhas wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 3:30 pm I just wanted to note that threads like this are what really makes DharmaWheel shine. The amount of knowledge here never ceases to impress me.

:anjali:
Actually not on my side, sorry, I was wrong, there is no Khandro Nyingthig manual by Karmapa III Rangjung Dorje, it is a Bima Nyingthik manual. As for the Khandro Nyingthik, we have only two little texts he wrote about the initiations. Mea culpa !
Sādhaka

Post by Sādhaka »

Buddhavisions.com wrote:These have been translated to reflect a modern understanding of gender equality. While these teachings are presented in the context of the dance of the male and female dakinis, the deeper key points are completely relevant to everyone of all gender dispositions. (As a side note, gender is completely optional here at Buddha Visions. In fact, without understanding the infinite fluidity of gender it might be really difficult to understand the bodies, speech, and minds of the Buddhas.)

Okay regardless of anyone’s stance on the ‘lgbtq’ issue, no one should be tailoring translations to fit an agenda.

Of course each translator’s translations may show subtle biases that they themselves may or may not be aware of, at times; but this is blatant adulteration.

Whoever translated these texts (Eric Fry Miller, it looks like) has just shown that their translations are not reliable, by admitting the above. I mean what else have they changed in their translations of these profound texts....
Last edited by Sādhaka on Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yagmort

Post by yagmort »

i agree.
no one should be tailoring translations to fit an agenda.
stay open, spread love

Return to “Nyingma”