Westerners who exhibited Thugdam?

Yeti

Westerners who exhibited Thugdam?

Post by Yeti »

Hi,

Just wondering about western Dharma practitioners who have exhibited thugdam (sitting in meditation for a number of days, after their last breath, heart area still warm).

The only one I know of is Gerard Godet https://khyentsefoundation.org/patron-kings-part-xiii/
When Gerard died, he remained sitting in meditation in an upright posture, his heart still warm after one week, his complexion smooth and somewhat radiant. When his body was cremated, his heart relics remained stubbornly unconsumed amidst the ashes. Such a mark of spiritual attainment is rare in any culture, at any time. No wonder our teachers frequently spoke of him as an example of a true practitioner: He was simple and without pretention; tender, honest, warm-hearted, and humble; and he consistently put others first, not keeping anything for his own comfort. Remembering Gerard’s life is a gift to all of us.
I would appreciate anyone who can contribute to this list.
"People are fond of saying all sorts of things about others behind their backs, mentioning their names again and again. Instead of slandering others in this way, “slander” the yidam: utter his name repeatedly by reciting his mantra all the time." - Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche - Zurchungpa’s Testament - Shambhala Publications
GrapeLover

Re: Westerners who exhibited Thugdam?

Post by GrapeLover »

Sorry for not having any names, but in one of the webcasts of her most recent retreat, Lama Lena mentioned having a western student who lasted about 10 hours in thukdam, and that Wangdor Rinpoche had a western student who lasted (I think) a day
tobes

Post by tobes »

I don't know of any others, but thankyou for posting such an inspiring story.

In that retreat, when all the participants took turns cooking the main noon-day meal once every two weeks, Gerard was excused from this responsibility. This dispensation was offered mainly as a gesture of respect, but it was also a practical tactic; Gerard was a man who knew nothing of domestic chores. However, Gerard being Gerard, he insisted on taking his turn like everyone else, and all involved suffered the consequences with good humour. :lol: :lol:
bhava

Post by bhava »

In France, Chanteloube, there were more westerners who attained thugdam. Also CHNNs student B. Simmons passed away sitting, but I dont know if he was in thugdam or not.
Yeti

Post by Yeti »

bhava wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:01 pm In France, Chanteloube, there were more westerners who attained thugdam. Also CHNNs student B. Simmons passed away sitting, but I dont know if he was in thugdam or not.
Yes, there was one who passed away in retreat, or to be correct, he knew his elements were disolving and asked to be taken to his house to pass away. He went into retreat in his 60s knowing he had terminal cancer. Tulku Pema Wangyal was there, and Nyoshul Khenpo Rinpoche sat besides him in meditation as he passed, whilst they had Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche on the phone from Nepal. Tulku Pema said this person could see the pure lands as he was passing, and it was his pure samaya that his teachers could be present as he passed.
"People are fond of saying all sorts of things about others behind their backs, mentioning their names again and again. Instead of slandering others in this way, “slander” the yidam: utter his name repeatedly by reciting his mantra all the time." - Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche - Zurchungpa’s Testament - Shambhala Publications
Yeti

Post by Yeti »

GrapeLover wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:02 am Sorry for not having any names, but in one of the webcasts of her most recent retreat, Lama Lena mentioned having a western student who lasted about 10 hours in thukdam, and that Wangdor Rinpoche had a western student who lasted (I think) a day
:namaste: :twothumbsup:
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

Loppon Rechung of Mipham Shedra in Westminster, CO tells a story of a female practitioner who was dying. Loppon got permission to give her ngo-tro (introduction to the nature of mind). Supposedly, when she died, she was in thug-dam for several days. My PCP (also a Tibetan Buddhist) was called in to sign the death certificate, and he also confirmed the warmth at her heart.

If you want more details, I recommend your contacting Loppon Rechung directly. He speaks English.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
Yeti

Post by Yeti »

pemachophel wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:25 pm Loppon Rechung of Mipham Shedra in Westminster, CO tells a story of a female practitioner who was dying. Loppon got permission to give her ngo-tro (introduction to the nature of mind). Supposedly, when she died, she was in thug-dam for several days. My PCP (also a Tibetan Buddhist) was called in to sign the death certificate, and he also confirmed the warmth at her heart.

If you want more details, I recommend your contacting Loppon Rechung directly. He speaks English.
:namaste: :twothumbsup:
ismael

Post by ismael »

Gerard Godet was one of the main sponsors of the Dordogne Dharma centers and a great practitioner, and he demonstrated this upon passing: https://khyentsefoundation.org/patron-kings-part-xiii/

Return to “Nyingma”