Dharani of Glorious Vajra claws / Dorje Dermo

MatthewAngby

Re: Dharani of Glorious Vajra claws / Dorje Dermo

Post by MatthewAngby »

liuzg150181 wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:40 am
philji wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:30 am Matthew, many of your questions relate to using vajrayana methods to resolve issues or clear obstacles. Vajrayana has so many methods but most teachers recommend that we lay a foundation of understanding through learning, contemplating first. I would receommend you seek advice from a teacher. I believe that you recently received teachings/ empowerments from Phakchok Rinpoche. A very good Lama connected with Rinpoche is Tulku Migmar who will be back there again soon i believe. Seek out an interview with him, he is very helpful and easy to communicate with.
:good:
Also you may join in dharma stream for Phachok Rinpoches for better foundation.
Without foundations such as refuge, boddhicitta and understanding of emptiness, vajrayana is useless.Or worse still, harmful.
so i just have to do this three to get started? does this mean i don't have to study sutras ?
The force is my ally...and a powerful ally it is - Yoda
liuzg150181

Post by liuzg150181 »

MatthewAngby wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:45 am
philji wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:30 am Matthew, many of your questions relate to using vajrayana methods to resolve issues or clear obstacles. Vajrayana has so many methods but most teachers recommend that we lay a foundation of understanding through learning, contemplating first. I would receommend you seek advice from a teacher. I believe that you recently received teachings/ empowerments from Phakchok Rinpoche. A very good Lama connected with Rinpoche is Tulku Migmar who will be back there again soon i believe. Seek out an interview with him, he is very helpful and easy to communicate with.
Without foundations such as refuge, boddhicitta and understanding of emptiness, vajrayana is useless.Or worse still, harmful.
so i just have to do this three to get started? does this mean i don't have to study sutras ?
I am also a newbie, but i think we should still study sutras. Just go and listen first, if u r ok with Chinese, Khenchen Tsultrim Lodro Rinpoche will be teaching from tml to wed.
philji

Post by philji »

MatthewAngby wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:45 am
Study foundational teachings such as refuge, four mind changings and bodhicitta... dharma stream is a great program for this if you have one near you. Otherwise study on one’s own or with support of a sangha( much better initially) . Whether or not you actually study sutras is up to you but certainly the essence of the sutras should be integrated into your life.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Sutra are the best, forget about the rest!

Tantra is not worth considering if one has not developed bodhicitta (wisdom and compassion).
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
MatthewAngby

Post by MatthewAngby »

Grigoris wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:51 pm Sutra are the best, forget about the rest!

Tantra is not worth considering if one has not developed bodhicitta (wisdom and compassion).
Is there any way to develop bodhicitta without studying sutras? Can you please give me some tips How to develop bodhicitta using simple methods ? ( I tend to get demotivated when reading bookly items ) no offence I didn’t mean to say bad things I’m sorry .
Tiago Simões

Post by Tiago Simões »

MatthewAngby wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:57 pm
Grigoris wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:51 pm Sutra are the best, forget about the rest!

Is there any way to develop bodhicitta without studying sutras? Can you please give me some tips How to develop bodhicitta using simple methods ? ( I tend to get demotivated when reading bookly items ) no offence I didn’t mean to say bad things I’m sorry .
Chanting Sutric dhāraṇī is a simple practice. ;) Although studying the Sutras is always beneficial. Maybe try audiobooks if you find reading too tedious.
philji

Post by philji »

Start with practicing the four Immeasurabless.. but to start you will need to know what they are that will mean some study or learning...maybe unavoidable.
liuzg150181

Post by liuzg150181 »

Whats with your aversion towards sutric study? :?
MatthewAngby

Post by MatthewAngby »

liuzg150181 wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:56 pm

Well , from young , I had an aversion to reading books ( again I’m so sorry if I have offended and I didn’t meant to say anything bad again ).
Aryjna

Post by Aryjna »

MatthewAngby wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:40 pm

Well , from young , I had an aversion to reading books ( again I’m so sorry if I have offended and I didn’t meant to say anything bad again ).
You don't really have to read sutras, though it is nice. Also, many sutras are very short and you can read them quickly online.
ratna

Post by ratna »

Well, you can start by listening to teachings on Bodhicitta by Bodhisattvas like HH the Dalai Lama, Sakya Trizin, or Garchen Rinpoche. On Youtube, if you don't have possibility to travel. Eventually one needs to meet a teacher and receive teachings in person, but one has to start somewhere.
marting

Post by marting »

At your age, leave Buddhism for later and go out there and have fun! Meet people, go to college, get a job, etc. So much better. :thumbsup:
Aryjna

Post by Aryjna »

marting wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:40 pm At your age, leave Buddhism for later and go out there and have fun! Meet people, go to college, get a job, etc. So much better. :thumbsup:
I don't know if you are joking but that is horrible advice.
marting

Post by marting »

Aryjna wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:47 pmI don't know if you are joking but that is horrible advice.
OK, thank you. :anjali:

Considering adults have more developed decision making skills, more life experiences, autonomy, education, emotional maturity, yeah...wait till you're older to make serious, lasting decisions about religion.
Aryjna

Post by Aryjna »

marting wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:05 pm
Aryjna wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:47 pmI don't know if you are joking but that is horrible advice.

Considering adults have more developed decision making skills, more life experiences, autonomy, education, emotional maturity, yeah...wait till you're older to make serious, lasting decisions about religion.
There is a reason why impermanence is the most important thing to meditate on. No one knows if you will still be interested in a few years, if the circumstances will allow you to study and practice in a few years, or if you will be alive at all. Even if so, several years of your already very limited life will have passed.

Also, no one mentioned making any irreversible decision.
liuzg150181

Post by liuzg150181 »

MatthewAngby wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:40 pm

Too late,the Dharma Secret Police shall be knocking at your door anytime soon :twisted: :

Joke aside,you dont really need to burrow through thick books to study sutra. As stated by someone else,you can even do so by watching videos to do so. :thumbsup:
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

MatthewAngby wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:57 pmIs there any way to develop bodhicitta without studying sutras? Can you please give me some tips How to develop bodhicitta using simple methods ? ( I tend to get demotivated when reading bookly items ) no offence I didn’t mean to say bad things I’m sorry .
Tonglen and Lojong. Look up videos on youtube, there are plenty of teachings there.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
liuzg150181

Post by liuzg150181 »

Aryjna wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:18 pm

There is a reason why impermanence is the most important thing to meditate on. No one knows if you will still be interested in a few years, if the circumstances will allow you to study and practice in a few years, or if you will be alive at all. Even if so, several years of your already very limited life will have passed.

I actually agree with marting,for most teens who dont enter in monastic system at early age, they won't fully appreciate the Dharma's teaching of the defects of samsara(unless they have gone through life-changing events,such as death of parents). Let them have a taste to samsaric activities so they would be more mature to understand dharma more.
Moreover,forcing Dharma teaching on them would cause dharma fatigue imo,not to mention dharma might become a form of escapism for their immature mind,
marting

Post by marting »

Precisely why better to wait. Adults will understand why they are pursuing the Dharma and the seriousness of the matter easier, and especially the commitment required for study and practice will be put into better context having had life experience and using an adult brain.
Aryjna

Post by Aryjna »

liuzg150181 wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:32 pm

I actually agree with marting,for most teens who dont enter in monastic system at early age, they won't fully appreciate the Dharma's teaching of the defects of samsara(unless they have gone through life-changing events,such as death of parents). Let them have a taste to samsaric activities so they would be more mature to understand dharma more.
Moreover,forcing Dharma teaching on them would cause dharma fatigue imo,not to mention dharma might become a form of escapism for their immature mind,
The OP is obviously interested and already studying and practicing, so it is not a question of forcing him. And in any case he will be getting a taste of samsaric activities. That does not mean he should stop having any interest and postpone it for later.

Return to “Nyingma”