Steven Seagal

Crazywisdom

Re: Steven Seagal

Post by Crazywisdom »

Some nirmanakayas do not teach and they only do art.
Vajra fangs deliver vajra venom to your Mara body.
T. Chokyi

Post by T. Chokyi »

Crazywisdom wrote:Some nirmanakayas do not teach and they only do art.

+1
MalaBeads

Post by MalaBeads »

And as i have heard Dzongsar Khyentse say, "They are terrible when they paint." (Sorry for the off-topic comment)

Great post T. Chokyi, btw.
I am well aware of my idiocy. I am also very aware that you too are an idiot. Therein lies our mutuality.
T. Chokyi

Post by T. Chokyi »

MalaBeads wrote:
And as i have heard Dzongsar Khyentse say, "They are terrible when they paint." (Sorry for the off-topic comment)

LOL, did Dzongsar Khyentse say that, soooo funny, thanks for sharing!

Listened to this yesterday, if you have time it's fascinating: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqdCW1PGcwg

Of Course: :focus:
Crazywisdom

Post by Crazywisdom »

MalaBeads wrote:

Or make films
Vajra fangs deliver vajra venom to your Mara body.
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

MalaBeads wrote:
I kind of like Dzigar Kongtrul's stuff. :smile:'

Getting back on topic, maybe Rinpoche can cast Seagal in his next movie:

phpBB [video]
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Post by Schrödinger’s Yidam »

I'm a film crew member. I'd work on one of DKR's projects. It would be interesting, but I'd have to relate to him as "the director", not "the "lama".
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

smcj wrote:
I'm a film crew member. I'd work on one of DKR's projects. It would be interesting, but I'd have to relate to him as "the director", not "the "lama".
On set, is there a difference?
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Post by Schrödinger’s Yidam »

Malcolm wrote:
smcj wrote:
I don't imagine R. would want to answer questions about Dharma while he is working. I know Chime R. kept his work at the British Museum and teaching roles separate. In fact, were I to apply for the job, I'd keep the fact I'm a Buddhist quiet.

I was actually in a position to possibly work on "The Cup". Somebody I knew turned the job down and was willing to put my name in the hat. Family responsibilities kept me from pursuing it.
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
ClearblueSky

Post by ClearblueSky »

Malcolm wrote:
smcj wrote:
You know how Lamas often tend to be humble about themselves, while their devotees view them as perfect and all knowing? Just picture the exact opposite of that.
karmadrakpayeshe

Post by karmadrakpayeshe »

There has been a lot of talk about this in the Nyingma community I have lived among in Nepal.

the discussion seems to have been concluded with 95 percent skepticism that this is legitimate. It seems pretty much true that that rinpoche declared him a tulku. Before going any further i'll remind everyone that just being a tulku is not enough to be hailed as a great tibetan buddhist teacher. Some recognized tulkus are not trained and end up in a lot of trouble and you might even say have less than productive lives. I know one personally ;(. It's similar in a way to jedi if you are familiar with star wars. Segal obviously came into contact with buddhism later in life, arguably by tradition standpoints too late to have been trained as a great master.

but few in the tradition seem to talk about him. The rinpoche who recognized him is known, but that doesn't mean that suddenly he is hailed as a great saint. Tulkus could be marked as people with extraordinary abilities in a way, and there is no doubt that segal is one of these. He is a master of many things most notably aikido, which is no joke at all, he is incredibly respected in Japan as a true master from what I know, and has taught many people there.

In the tibetan buddhist in jee( westerner) community there are legends about segal being in tibet training khampa rebels. That is I think where the CIA thing comes in, but there could be other lore as well haha.

some people even go so far to claim his tulku declaration was in light of massive donations to the lineage, or even in exchange. terrible to even bring this claim to the thread if it isn't true, which I can not say one way or another. just something I've heard from pretty experienced nyingma practitioners. But they could be wrong too. Tulkus get the best buddhist training traditionally so even westerners can get jealous of another westerner becoming one. ;(

He really is a larger than life character. That can't be denied. But bottom line what you need to know is this : among the community his status is not widely respected. As far as senior leadership of the Nyingma tradition I can't speak for them, but it doesnt really seem like a major concern of theirs or priority of discussion. From what I understand it's a quiet branch of the lineage with a quiet monastery, and if he is teaching a bit and benefiting people there then great. He is a great teacher of many things, most notably martial arts, and so I wouldn't be surprised if in teaching at least some level of buddhism he does a more than respectable job.
Tsultrim T.

Post by Tsultrim T. »

He was originally recognized as an emanation from my understanding. He was close friends with my teacher for some time, a high level old school Nyingma teacher with family connections to HHPR. On the occasions when my teacher spent time with him, he seemed to be sincere but also a little too focused on the externalities of Buddhism, ie a fancy shrine room, expensive antiques, Mongolian wife, etc. He was also perceived as being very arrogant and not very interested in supporting any centers or monasteries or Tibetan Buddhism in general. He has pretty much faded into obscurity at this point and last I heard was palling around more with Vladimir Putin, a fellow martial artist, in the Balkans more so than with than any Lamas.
_R_

Post by _R_ »

There is superstition that if tulku is not trained properly they will go mad, isn't there?
I'm the best.
ClearblueSky

Post by ClearblueSky »

Since this thread got resurrected... I can't resist posting my favorite bit about Steven Seagal ever. Tulku or not, may he bring benefit to himself and others as much as possible, however that manifests.
PS Warning for some explicit language
phpBB [video]
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

Seems like maker of this video did his research on Seagal.

phpBB [video]
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

Formerly known as Miroku.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

:rolling:
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Zla'od

Post by Zla'od »

Well, I really have no way of knowing what Steven Seagal Rinpoche was in his previous lives, but how much Buddhism I am likely to absorb from him is somewhat easier to decide. No doubt this is due to my own karmic obscurations, which I imagine would be shared by virtually everybody. (If anyone is still on the fence about him, I refer you to Orville Schell's Virtual Tibet.) The main fallout in my case is that it leads me to doubt the judgement of Penor Rinpoche, even though this is just a small part of his work.

As impressive as Seagal's martial arts skills may be (I pass over his acting skills in silence), I don't see that as evidence of his spiritual bona fides. But for those who are so inclined, here is a link to the wonderfully-titled Seagalogy, a guide to his films: http://www.amazon.com/Seagalogy-Ass-Kic ... 0857687220 (Unfortunately it does not cover A Snowball in Hell.)

Meanwhile, anybody want to help me get recognized as the reincarnation of Shakyamuni Buddha's horse? Because I think he's available. (So is Shakyamuni himself, for that matter.) Do I need to pay money, or can I just set up an online petition?
Easy answers to everything: https://tuttejiorg.wordpress.com/
crazy-man

Post by crazy-man »

good news or bad news? ;-)
Steven Seagal gets Serbian citizenship after offering to start martial arts school
http://www.theguardian.com/culture/2016 ... rts-school

Steven Seagal: ‘I like to go after murderers, bank robbers, rapists, kidnappers’
http://www.theguardian.com/film/2015/ma ... -interview

Putin proposed Steven Seagal as Russian envoy to US
http://www.theguardian.com/film/2015/ap ... nvoy-to-us
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

I think we now have plenty of information to make up our own minds about Seagal. The discussion is getting (even more) scrappy and gossipy so I have removed a few recent posts which subtracted more than they added and I will close the thread.
If anyone really wants to add more, PM me or another team member and it can be done.

:namaste:
Kim

Return to “Nyingma”