Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

climb-up

Re: Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Post by climb-up »

Virgo wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:55 am You never know what the future holds. :anjali:

Kevin
❤️
heart

Post by heart »

climb-up wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:08 am
heart wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:33 pm Just wanted to add that the information that Ayu Khandro Simhamukha practice is the standard Simhamukha in the DC comes from Malcolm. The long sadhana has been translated by John Reynolds as well as one person on this forum who kindly translated it when I received the sadhana from from ChNNR in Tibetan. I asked Rinpoche for a copy by email of the text he just transmitted.

/magnus
So it’s all the same original text right (the one John Reynolds used and the one ChNN you?), but different translators?
Yes.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
heart

Post by heart »

climb-up wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:07 am
heart wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:05 am
climb-up wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:25 pm

Oh wow, thank you for this response. Yes, this is definitely not something I will be trying to figure out on my own! I do have the lung, but no tri.

ChNN definitely gave lung for it, but it seems like this not commonly practiced in the DC?
Ayu Khandro Simhamukha practice is the standard Simhamukha in the DC. Everyone practice the ultra short version. The long practice, the sadhana, he only gave lung for on the Ayu Khandro Simhamukha retreats and on those retreats he also gave wang and tri on the text. I participated in one of these retreats and he didn't give any instructions how to do the altar, I think he didn't find these details necessary.

/magnus
Interesting. So the more extensive Ayu Khandro was done, as written, without a specific altar set-up?
I wondered if that might be the case.

Can I PM you about this?
I can't recall that ChNNR ever gave instructions on how to set up an altar for deity practice. But my memory is not very reliable. Anyway, normally we do altar set ups for deity practice only when doing retreat.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
climb-up

Post by climb-up »

heart wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:48 am
I can't recall that ChNNR ever gave instructions on how to set up an altar for deity practice. But my memory is not very reliable. Anyway, normally we do altar set ups for deity practice only when doing retreat.

/magnus
Thank you
climb-up

Post by climb-up »

heart wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:48 am

/magnus
Thank you
climb-up

Post by climb-up »

I was able to get some guidance on the practice, along with the advice that it isn’t at all necessary and that the standard unelaborated practice contains everything.

I really appreciate all the contributions and suggestions. :namaste:
lelopa

Post by lelopa »

climb-up wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:11 am
lelopa wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:30 am
climb-up wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:58 pm
...... everything I've read by Lama Allione is great .......
:shrug:

"I like to say that Tara is the first “Women’s Libber” and that Green Tara is the spiritual leader of the Green Party, guardian of the forest"
T.Allione
Well, I like it.
I can think of a couple Lamas at least who’d agree with sentiment (wether or not Tara specifically was their focus).
:thumbsup:
:good:
Hansei

Post by Hansei »

By any chance does anyone have a recording of any teaching by Rinpoche on Avalokisteshvara Khorva Dongtruk and would be so kind to share it through private message?

I think the last retreat about it was the one in Barcelona in 2012:
http://dzogchen.gr/en/webcasts/webcast-in-barcelona/

:smile:
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

Hansei wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:27 pm By any chance does anyone have a recording of any teaching by Rinpoche on Avalokisteshvara Khorva Dongtruk and would be so kind to share it through private message?

I'm interested in this too, more specifically in the melodies used...so far I've heard no recordings exist, but I'm hoping that's wrong.
"...if you think about how many hours, months and years of your life you've spent looking at things, being fascinated by things that have now passed away, then how wonderful to spend even five minutes looking into the nature of your own mind."

-James Low
Sādhaka

Post by Sādhaka »

I’m quite sure that there was another Avalokitesvara retreat after the Barcelona 2012 one.
climb-up

Post by climb-up »

Johnny Dangerous wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:12 pm
Hansei wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:27 pm By any chance does anyone have a recording of any teaching by Rinpoche on Avalokisteshvara Khorva Dongtruk and would be so kind to share it through private message?

I'm interested in this too, more specifically in the melodies used...so far I've heard no recordings exist, but I'm hoping that's wrong.
IDK if this is getting too crazy, but I too would love to hear these teachings. The booklet is so wonderful.
I didn't realize that there was a melody.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

Just bought this:

https://shop.shangshungfoundation.com/e ... 41630.html

Must say, I was thrilled when I heard about this coming out, as I have connection to Sakya lineage and teachers I have always loved this text, excited to read Rinpoche's take on it.

Anyone else get it?
"...if you think about how many hours, months and years of your life you've spent looking at things, being fascinated by things that have now passed away, then how wonderful to spend even five minutes looking into the nature of your own mind."

-James Low
climb-up

Post by climb-up »

Johnny Dangerous wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:47 pm Just bought this:

https://shop.shangshungfoundation.com/e ... 41630.html

Must say, I was thrilled when I heard about this coming out, as I have connection to Sakya lineage and teachers I have always loved this text, excited to read Rinpoche's take on it.

Anyone else get it?
I haven't, but I found the text of Sachen Kunga Nyingpo's to be really inspiring. I definitely have this in my sights and plan on getting it as soon as I can.
khemmis

Post by khemmis »

This one might be a silly question (or maybe not).

If I meditate and my cats are present in the same room and (like in Thun) I invoke The Eight Classes, is it possible that my cats could receive provocations from malicious beings?
Tata1

Post by Tata1 »

khemmis wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:19 pm This one might be a silly question (or maybe not).

If I meditate and my cats are present in the same room and (like in Thun) I invoke The Eight Classes, is it possible that my cats could receive provocations from malicious beings?
My understanding is that you invoke the guys that govern the 8 clases. The guys who protect from the 8 classes, not mundane beings
khemmis

Post by khemmis »

Tata1 wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:47 pm
khemmis wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:19 pm This one might be a silly question (or maybe not).

My understanding is that you invoke the guys that govern the 8 clases. The guys who protect from the 8 classes, not mundane beings
But in their retinue are also mundane beings. Maybe they can get angry if the animals are making some noises thus not respecting the teachings?
treehuggingoctopus

Post by treehuggingoctopus »

khemmis wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:12 pm
Tata1 wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:47 pm

But in their retinue are also mundane beings. Maybe they can get angry if the animals are making some noises thus not respecting the teachings?
Why do we do it? To benefit all sentient beings, cats (obviously!) included.
How do we do it? By relying upon Buddhas and their samaya-bound retinues.

We are not calling up worldly powers. We are not calling up Buddhas who rely on worldly powers. We are not calling up Buddhas, whose help may expose us to the unpredictability of wordly powers.

If a practice is risky, we know about it because our teachers explicitly tell us so and then follow the precautions to eliminate/minimise the risk. Whether it is risky or not, we try to hold on to three sacred principles (intention, contemplation, dedication), and the practice works. It does not misfire, or hit innocent bystanders, feline or otherwise. How could it?
To offer care and affection to sentient beings
In desperate situations who lack protection
Brings just as much merit as the meditation
On emptiness with compassion as its core—
So it has been said by glorious Lord Atisha.

Chatral Sangye Dorje Rinpoche

If you cannot generate an altruistic mind, even extensive retreat will be of not much benefit.
Garchen Triptrul Rinpoche
Vasana

Post by Vasana »

Not something to worry about. Provocations are linked more with the afflictions, thoughts and energy humans have the capacity for. Cats usually just mind their own business and don't share the same concepts as us so they are not likely to offend for the same reason. Letting your cats hear the song of the vajra and 6 syllables is still the best thing they'll ever encounter, regardless.
ཨོཾ ་ མ ་ ཎི ་ པ ་ དྨེ ་ ཧཱུྃ ། འ ་ ཨ ་ ཧ ་ ཤ ་ ས ་ མ །
Om Mani Peme Hum ། 'A Ah Ha Sha Sa Ma
'When alone, watch your mind,When with others, watch your speech' - Old Kadampa saying
Fa Dao

Post by Fa Dao »

Rinpoche had said 3 things many many times.
Relax,
Be Present,
Do Guruyoga.
Anyone know how to say and write these in Tibetan?
"But if you know how to observe yourself, you will discover your real nature, the primordial state, the state of Guruyoga, and then all will become clear because you will have discovered everything"-Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche
Vasana

Post by Vasana »

In Rinpoche's own writing.
Attachments
IMG-20181013-WA0005.jpg
IMG-20181013-WA0005.jpg (17.39 KiB) Viewed 1530 times
ཨོཾ ་ མ ་ ཎི ་ པ ་ དྨེ ་ ཧཱུྃ ། འ ་ ཨ ་ ཧ ་ ཤ ་ ས ་ མ །
Om Mani Peme Hum ། 'A Ah Ha Sha Sa Ma
'When alone, watch your mind,When with others, watch your speech' - Old Kadampa saying

Return to “Dzogchen”