Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

deepbluehum

Re: Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Post by deepbluehum »

tomamundsen wrote:Mods, you can remove this if it's inappropriate.

I finally saw Rinpoche in person at the retreat this weekend. It's probably my projection, but I saw white light in his eyes a number of times. I still don't know exactly what to think about him and his approach, and I don't think I can really do the whole DC thing because I have a face-to-face lama I can see every week, but WOW he has a presence!
On the webcast, there are video artifacts. It would consistently appear like a third eye on his forehead. I was amazed.
Sherlock

Post by Sherlock »

deepbluehum wrote:
Malcolm wrote:
deepbluehum wrote:The specific wangs for specific practices are required...
No, this not correct.

If you have DI, then all you need is lung for mantra and brief explanation of practice, in general.

M
I see.
For some practices you don't even need lung. Like Zernga. You can check with Rinpoche on this BTW.
Blue Garuda

Post by Blue Garuda »

Thanks for the clarifications on the lung and wang everyone. :)
Left
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

deepbluehum wrote:

I finally saw Rinpoche in person at the retreat this weekend. It's probably my projection, but I saw white light in his eyes a number of times. I still don't know exactly what to think about him and his approach, and I don't think I can really do the whole DC thing because I have a face-to-face lama I can see every week, but WOW he has a presence!
On the webcast, there are video artifacts. It would consistently appear like a third eye on his forehead. I was amazed.
He also has a tremendous handshake.

I very much enjoyed meeting tomamundsen & Josef among others at the LA retreat, by the way. Hope our paths cross again.
Lhasa

Post by Lhasa »

Dechen Norbu wrote:Let me tell you a story on how deep I went in one of these last retreats.
Here it was very late. I was attending the webcast lying on the couch, all comfortable and cozy.
I felt sleep coming so I started dozing. I was really getting "tuned in", as in fixating the screen too long, too intensely just to keep listening, but sinking in my mind :lol: . Got up, did a few stretches, had some water and went back to the couch.

Time went by and suddenly I found myself in what seemed to be the actual place of the teaching, with fellows around me, all watching ChNN giving his lecture. We were about to sound the SoV and there were some funny things in the air, kind of floating, and and then it struck me 'shit, I'm dreaming!'. Immediately I woke up only to find out the video had frozen and I had lost nearly one hour of teachings! :zzz:
That's how deep I went and how tuned I was! :lol:

It would be a shame if the same happened to you, with your eyes fully open. What do you think?
Hello Dechen,
Thank you for the friendly posts.
What do I think? Well, don't watch the retreat on the couch. :D
This is how our perspectives differ. I would have been thrilled, to have fallen asleep, found my Guru's location in the dream state and attended the retreat in that dimension. Too bad when you realized you were dreaming, that you didn't allow it to be a lucid dream. Try that next time. Song of Vajra with Rinpoche in that dimension. Holy Cow!!! What an amazing experience that would have been!
I also would have written to Rinpoche and told him about it. You must have a strong bond with Rinpoche for that to happen. What an incredible blessing for you. :woohoo: Well Done!! :applause: :twothumbsup:
I would love for that to happen to me eyes open or closed!!
So pour me a cup o'that and pass it over. :smile:
Dechen Norbu

Post by Dechen Norbu »

Believe me, that was only a karmic dream. No SoV was sounded on that session, afaik! :lol: And it's not something I could have controlled. That time, the moment I realized I was dreaming I woke up immediately. Really, what happened was me losing one hour of teachings. Plus, the location seemed the actual place, but that was all.
And you're right, the couch is bad for keeping attention, but cut me some slack. :lol: It was 4am here! At that hour, you can't imagine how enticing my couch looks like!
I dream with ChNN many times. If I was to write him each time I dream with him, I think I would bore him really fast. I suspect it happens with most students. We spend a lot of time focused on this teachings, watching webcasts, thinking about what he says, practicing and so on. If we add to that the practice of the night, it's almost bound to happen. But this doesn't mean all dreams are clarity dreams. I guess most of my dreams are simply due to the fact of thinking about it during the day. No big deal, really. As a matter of fact, I have a long way to go in terms of dream yoga. I would have to rest more, to start with. Even knowing this, I always sleep less than I should, always finding something to do at night, and this totally ruins my clarity. :emb: I'll have to set myself straight one of these days...
Josef

Post by Josef »

Jikan wrote:
deepbluehum wrote:

He also has a tremendous handshake.

I very much enjoyed meeting tomamundsen & Josef among others at the LA retreat, by the way. Hope our paths cross again.
Me too Jikan!
it was really nice to meet you in person.
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
Dronma

Post by Dronma »

Dechen Norbu wrote:Believe me, that was only a karmic dream. No SoV was sounded on that session, afaik! :lol: And it's not something I could have controlled. That time, the moment I realized I was dreaming I woke up immediately. Really, what happened was me losing one hour of teachings. Plus, the location seemed the actual place, but that was all.
And you're right, the couch is bad for keeping attention, but cut me some slack. :lol: It was 4am here! At that hour, you can't imagine how enticing my couch looks like!
I dream with ChNN many times. If I was to write him each time I dream with him, I think I would bore him really fast. I suspect it happens with most students. We spend a lot of time focused on this teachings, watching webcasts, thinking about what he says, practicing and so on. If we add to that the practice of the night, it's almost bound to happen. But this doesn't mean all dreams are clarity dreams. I guess most of my dreams are simply due to the fact of thinking about it during the day. No big deal, really. As a matter of fact, I have a long way to go in terms of dream yoga. I would have to rest more, to start with. Even knowing this, I always sleep less than I should, always finding something to do at night, and this totally ruins my clarity. :emb: I'll have to set myself straight one of these days...

Very well said, Dechen Norbu! :twothumbsup:
I have also often dreams with Rinpoche and Vajra brothers and sisters, but I know that they are ordinary karmic dreams.
It is not good to invest too much in imagination and expectation. Better we keep close touch with the ground (like the symbolism in the image of Buddha Shakyamuni - his right hand always keeps touch with the ground). :namaste:

The sound of s i l e n c e.....
Karma Dorje

Post by Karma Dorje »

The Tsegyalgar East retreat coming up July 4th-10th does not list whether it will be webcast. Does anyone know whether it will be? Will it be open or closed if so?

TIA
"Although my view is higher than the sky, My respect for the cause and effect of actions is as fine as grains of flour."
-Padmasambhava
Pero

Post by Pero »

Dechen Norbu wrote:I would have to rest more, to start with. Even knowing this, I always sleep less than I should, always finding something to do at night, and this totally ruins my clarity. :emb: I'll have to set myself straight one of these days...
Man, I've been telling myself that for years now. :D
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
Rinchen Dorje

Post by Rinchen Dorje »

Six Lokas question:
In the book Lojongs, Rushens, and Semdzins it shows the letter NRI for the human realm with the swooping thing on top of the letter going from left to right (sorry dont know the name of the swooping thing) in the Shang Shung webstore it has it going from right to left.
http://shangshung.org/store/index.php?m ... cts_id=555" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Which one is correct?
"But if you know how to observe yourself, you will discover your real nature, the primordial state, the state of Guruyoga, and then all will become clear because you will have discovered everything"-Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche
Josef

Post by Josef »

Fa Dao wrote:Six Lokas question:
In the book Lojongs, Rushens, and Semdzins it shows the letter NRI for the human realm with the swooping thing on top of the letter going from left to right (sorry dont know the name of the swooping thing) in the Shang Shung webstore it has it going from right to left.
http://shangshung.org/store/index.php?m ... cts_id=555" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Which one is correct?
The one in the book is how it is usually done.
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
Rinchen Dorje

Post by Rinchen Dorje »

Thanks Josef, thats what I thought but wanted to make sure, I dont ever remember seeing it backwards like that in any Tibetan writings I have seen. But as I dont actually read/write Tibetan thought i should check. I wonder if anyone at Shang Shung has noticed.....
"But if you know how to observe yourself, you will discover your real nature, the primordial state, the state of Guruyoga, and then all will become clear because you will have discovered everything"-Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche
Blue Garuda

Post by Blue Garuda »

In the last webcast, ChNNR said that the Serkyem may be widely used for a variety of purposes.

Does the practice, for example, replace offering bowls, especially if there is Sang available as a form of offering as well?
Left
Jacob

Post by Jacob »

Hm, could anyone explain me what's the function of serkyem practice?
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Jacob wrote:Hm, could anyone explain me what's the function of serkyem practice?

Offering a drink to the four guests, focusing on the eight classes.
Jacob

Post by Jacob »

Thank you Malcolm.
Blue Garuda

Post by Blue Garuda »

Malcolm wrote:
Jacob wrote:Hm, could anyone explain me what's the function of serkyem practice?

Offering a drink to the four guests, focusing on the eight classes.
Ah, yes, that makes sense now. Thanks from me also. :)
Left
krodha

Post by krodha »

Random but recently a friend of mine started working for the show "ghost hunters" and she does on location work so she's in these haunted areas with them. She was telling me some of the ways they contact and appease these spirits and one of the ways is to make an offering of fruit or some other food. She said they can't offer anything packaged because depending on the era the spirits are from they wouldn't understand packaged food but she said they make an offering at every location, usually fresh fruit. And supposedly this goes over quite well with whatever beings they're in contact with. Made me think of serkyem, since it essentially is a loose form of serkyem (though I doubt they call on enlightened beings and local guardians to be present).
deepbluehum

Post by deepbluehum »

asunthatneversets wrote:
Random but recently a friend of mine started working for the show "ghost hunters" and she does on location work so she's in these haunted areas with them. She was telling me some of the ways they contact and appease these spirits and one of the ways is to make an offering of fruit or some other food. She said they can't offer anything packaged because depending on the era the spirits are from they wouldn't understand packaged food but she said they make an offering at every location, usually fresh fruit. And supposedly this goes over quite well with whatever beings they're in contact with. Made me think of serkyem, since it essentially is a loose form of serkyem (though I doubt they call on enlightened beings and local guardians to be present).
I contacted those guys. I could totally help them work the demons. They didn't get back to me. Oh well.

Return to “Dzogchen”