Merigar webcast OK?

oldbob

Merigar webcast OK?

Post by oldbob »

Is anyone receiving the closed webcast ok from Merigar being webcast now - 1700 Friday October 29th?

It started ok and then quit after 10 minutes here in Eastern US.

Does anyone know why the webcast is closed if the original retreat was not?

Thanks,

Bob
Tata1

Re: Merigar webcast OK?

Post by Tata1 »

It worked fine
The webcast was not closed.
oldbob

Post by oldbob »

This was sent today to:

[email protected]

Much appreciation for your bringing to the world the webcasts from Merigar over many years.

I am in the suburbs of New York City, with a very good internet connection, and in the past I was always able to listen to the webcasts with excellent quality.

Yesterday I tried to listen to the webcast from Merigar and it was OK for the first 10 minutes and then it kept reloading the stream every minute or so and then stopped working.

This morning I was sleeping so I could not try.  I am 76 so I cannot wake up at 4AM like I used to do when I was younger.  Because of the time differences, and technical glitches it would be helpful to have the webcasts on "replay" and "on demand".  Then more would get the benefit.

https://webcast.dzogchen.net/index.php? ... osed-html5

The above link for closed webcasts worked for 5 minutes.The below link for open webcasts did not work at all.

https://webcast.dzogchen.net/index.php? ... ther-html5

Please let me know if I was alone in having difficulties.  We are having heavy rains in New Jersey and maybe there was a glitch in the internet provider - but this has never happened before.

I will try again this afternoon.

This is the schedual that I have. Please let me know if the links or the schedual has changed.

The most important points on the View, Meditation, Behavior and Fruit

Only for those who have received the Transmission.

Retreat on “The most important points on the View, Meditation, Behavior and Fruit, or Ati Nazer” held at Merigar by Chögyal Namkhai Norbu in June 2015.

The retreat will consist in following the videos of the Teachings given by the Master at Merigar and related explanations and practices, led by Santi Maha Sangha Base instuctors.

Furthermore, October 31st falls on the Anniversary of Master Adzom Drugpa, and is one of the days on which the Master used to give the Worldwide Trasmission. We will do the Worldwide Guruyoga Practice together, simultaneously all over the world, via webcast.

The retreat will be webcast in full, in English with Italian translation.

Suggested reading:

Longsal Teachings Volume Seven: https://shop.shangshungfoundation.com/e ... seven.html

Program

Friday October 29th

17-19:15 Introduction to the retreat and video of the first session of the Master's retreat

Saturday October 30th

10-12 Video of the of the second session of the Master's retreat

16-18 Thun explanation and practice

Sunday October 31st

10:00-12:00 Video of the third session of the Master's retreat

12:15-12:45 Explanation of the Worldwide Guruyoga Practice for the Anniversary of Adzom Drugpa

13:00 Worldwide Guruyoga Practice for the Anniversary of Adzom Drugpa

16:00-18:00 Ganapuja explanation

18:30 Short Ganapuja (Dakini Day) with Dance of the Song of Vajra

Dance of Vajra will follow

Monday November 1st

10:00-12:00 Video of the fourth session of the Master's retreat

16:00-18:00 Guruyoga explanation and practice

Tuesday November 2nd

10-12 Video of the fifth session of the Master's retreat

Again, much thanks for your many years of hard work bringing the webcasts to the world.
Best,  Bob Kragen
oldbob

Post by oldbob »

Merigar responded:

the link is always the one of practicing together, yesterday there was some problem but it’s sufficient to refresh the page and it works. Now is going well.

Kind regards

Salvatore

Note: the link referred to is: PRACTICING TOGETHER CLOSED.

This means that only those who are members of the IDC and have a Login and Password can access the webcast. Restricting access to the webcast teachings to Members, has nothing to do with whether someone has the traditional Wang and Lung permissions for the teachings in the webcast .

The login page has the following disclaimer:

"Before proceeding, please know that it is your responsibility to make sure you have the required transmission from Rinpoche before proceeding to watch the webcast of Rinpoche's Retreat Teachings."

The advertisement for the webcast states:

"Only for those who have received the Transmission."

The Mirror article on Generosity,

http://melong.com/the-virtues-of-genero ... igar-west/

states:

Chögyal Namkhai Norbu’s Oral Message at the end of the Longsal Longchen Nyer-nga’I Man-ngag Teaching Retreat at Merigar West, April 30, 2014

"We did this retreat in a special way – for example, people who participated did not pay for the retreat. This is a program that I prepared one year ago but I have not applied it until now. Why did I do this? In Eastern countries, when a teacher is giving teachings the attitude is not that people pay for the retreat because sponsors who are interested in the teachings organize and sponsor the teaching retreat.

Here in the West when we started to do retreats, nobody did that. We had to organize by ourselves with people in the Community who were interested. Then when we did the retreats some people would come to the retreats and ask why they would have to pay for teaching. Nobody pays for the teaching. They pay for the organization, for the place, for all the expenses. Sometimes they need to invite a teacher and then there are other expenses. But nobody pays for the teaching and many people do not understand that."

So if we want to harmonize the social structures of the IDC, today, with the principle of Generosity as stated by ChNN above, should not all webcasts after April 30, 2014, be without the requirement to pay a fee? Is not Membership in the IDC which many cannot afford, a fee?

By simple logic then, and simple kindness, shouldn't all webcasts (access to the Teachings) be open and free?

It is respectfully suggested that the webcast team should not be making decisions that limit access to the Teachings for anyone. This is limiting the application of Generosity to Members only. I don't believe this was the intention of ChNN or the Buddha.

Respectfully,

Bob Kragen
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

oldbob wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:50 pm So if we want to harmonize the social structures of the IDC, today, with the principle of Generosity as stated by ChNN above, should not all webcasts after April 30, 2014, be without the requirement to pay a fee? Is not Membership in the IDC which many cannot afford, a fee?

By simple logic then, and simple kindness, shouldn't all webcasts (access to the Teachings) be open and free?
Then when we did the retreats some people would come to the retreats and ask why they would have to pay for teaching. Nobody pays for the teaching. They pay for the organization, for the place, for all the expenses.

This still applies. Someone has to pay for the servers, the gars, etc. So if your membership is not current, you are not paying "for the organization, the place, for all the expenses."
Tata1

Post by Tata1 »

oldbob wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:08 pm This was sent today to:

[email protected]

Much appreciation for your bringing to the world the webcasts from Merigar over many years.

I am in the suburbs of New York City, with a very good internet connection, and in the past I was always able to listen to the webcasts with excellent quality.

Yesterday I tried to listen to the webcast from Merigar and it was OK for the first 10 minutes and then it kept reloading the stream every minute or so and then stopped working.

This morning I was sleeping so I could not try.  I am 76 so I cannot wake up at 4AM like I used to do when I was younger.  Because of the time differences, and technical glitches it would be helpful to have the webcasts on "replay" and "on demand".  Then more would get the benefit.

https://webcast.dzogchen.net/index.php? ... osed-html5

The above link for closed webcasts worked for 5 minutes.The below link for open webcasts did not work at all.

Please let me know if I was alone in having difficulties.  We are having heavy rains in New Jersey and maybe there was a glitch in the internet provider - but this has never happened before.

I will try again this afternoon.

This is the schedual that I have. Please let me know if the links or the schedual has changed.

The most important points on the View, Meditation, Behavior and Fruit

Only for those who have received the Transmission.

Retreat on “The most important points on the View, Meditation, Behavior and Fruit, or Ati Nazer” held at Merigar by Chögyal Namkhai Norbu in June 2015.

The retreat will consist in following the videos of the Teachings given by the Master at Merigar and related explanations and practices, led by Santi Maha Sangha Base instuctors.

Furthermore, October 31st falls on the Anniversary of Master Adzom Drugpa, and is one of the days on which the Master used to give the Worldwide Trasmission. We will do the Worldwide Guruyoga Practice together, simultaneously all over the world, via webcast.

The retreat will be webcast in full, in English with Italian translation.

Suggested reading:

Longsal Teachings Volume Seven: https://shop.shangshungfoundation.com/e ... seven.html

Program

Friday October 29th

17-19:15 Introduction to the retreat and video of the first session of the Master's retreat

Saturday October 30th

10-12 Video of the of the second session of the Master's retreat

16-18 Thun explanation and practice

Sunday October 31st

10:00-12:00 Video of the third session of the Master's retreat

12:15-12:45 Explanation of the Worldwide Guruyoga Practice for the Anniversary of Adzom Drugpa

13:00 Worldwide Guruyoga Practice for the Anniversary of Adzom Drugpa

16:00-18:00 Ganapuja explanation

18:30 Short Ganapuja (Dakini Day) with Dance of the Song of Vajra

Dance of Vajra will follow

Monday November 1st

10:00-12:00 Video of the fourth session of the Master's retreat

16:00-18:00 Guruyoga explanation and practice

Tuesday November 2nd

10-12 Video of the fifth session of the Master's retreat

Again, much thanks for your many years of hard work bringing the webcasts to the world.
Best,  Bob Kragen
You dont have to pay for this retreat. Only requirment is having transmission
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Tata1 wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:38 pm

he is complaining that it is password protected, and to have a user account, one must be a member of the IDC. And to be a member of the IDC, one must pay dues to a gar, something he is not inclined to do.
oldbob

Post by oldbob »

I don't know!

My Membership History page on dzogchen.net shows that I have been a continuous member since 2012 which is as far back as they go.

in fact, I"ve been a Member since before there were memberships - continuously to date - and recently qualified for an Elderly Membership.

In 1982, at Merigar, I helped paint the Yellow House yellow. In 1982, at Tseygyalgar, I did the 501C3 registration and served on the first Yellow Gakyil.

Again, from ChNNR - April 20, 2014

"But nobody pays for the teaching and many people do not understand that."

To the best of my knowledge, here follows the current official position regarding Membership dues. If you think the IG should harmonize Generosity with universal access to the Teachings, you can write to them and share your thoughts.

Harmonization could include a very low-cost universal Membership that gives access to all SSF Teaching materials, Digital Media and Transcript Archives, and live and recorded courses relating to the Teachings.

Please read through the two Mirror articles on Generosity.

http://melong.com/generosity/

The Yellow IG address is at the end of their email.

Bob Kragen

:heart:

2021 Global Membership Policy Announcement

December 2020

Dear Gakyil Members and Membership Coordinators,

First of all the International Gakyil (IG) would like to thank you for your collaboration in this uneasy year.

Despite the problems in the world, the IDC keeps united and we go on together reaching more or less the same membership base as in the last year.

Currently, we have 5343 members (as of 3rd Dec. 2020) that are only 99 members less compared to last year.

Renewing membership is very meaningful, and it is a concrete gesture of showing interest, participation, and supporting the International Dzogchen Community's projects.

With reference to the Membership Policy, the IG would like to keep going on for the coming year 2021 with more or less the same conditions as before with minor adaptations to the actual economic conditions.

Due to the present world situation, some members with not so strong personal economy but with the intention to maintain their membership despite these difficulties asked the IG to consider their situation in the membership policy.

Therefore we propose you to apply - on a voluntary basis - the following memberships adaptation according to your local circumstances:

“Elderly Membership”. 75 + old members with uninterrupted membership at least in the 6 last years can ask local Gakyils to apply for a symbolic membership of 12 EUR/14 USD per year. We strongly recommend applying this policy especially in case of relevant financial issues. This membership would be considered as a Local Ordinary Membership.

“Sponsored Membership”. Members with relevant financial issues or serious health problems can ask local Gakyils for financially supporting their membership fee directly, through a local fund if established, or by looking for one or more donors (inside the local Community or by asking IG for global research). This membership would be considered as a Local Ordinary Membership.

Let's unite our strength and energy and continue the best as we can in our collaboration.

The International Gakyil wishes all members the very best for 2021 and we look forward to continuing to support you in any way we can.

Please find below the Global Membership Policy for 2021.

The IDC allocation of 15% will remain unchanged for 2021.

Global Membership Policy 2021 - Type and Fee

Local Ordinary Membership Fee
[fee set by local Gakyil]

Local Sustaining Membership Fee
[optional type with the fee set by local Gakyil

Local Elderly Membership Fee
[optional type set by local Gakyil, 12 EUR/14 USD fee]

Local Sponsored Membership Fee
[optional type with the same Local Ordinary Fee set by local Gakyil]

Global Sustaining Membership Fee 500.00 EUR / 575.00 USD fee set by IG
Global Meritorious Membership Fee 1,500.00 EUR / 1,725.00 USD fee set by IG

Global Membership Policy 2021 details

Benefits:
Global Meritorious

80% discounts on all events and workshops in all Gars and Lings

Each Gar can provide more benefits to its own members
Global Sustaining

50% discounts on all events and workshops in all Gars and Lings

Each Gar can provide more benefits to its own members
Currency:
EUR is the applicable currency for:
MGW&E, DZG, KGN&S, SG, NG, Munselling, Gephelling

USD is the applicable currency for:
TGE&W, TGN&S

Subsidies:
Decisions to subsidize regular Local Ordinary Fees should be met by the establishment of a special fund or of a fundraising policy at the Gar/Ling level.

If needed the Yellow IG could announce global research for “donors” available to support membership needs.

Please let us know if there are any questions or something we can assist with.

All the best,

Yellow Gakyil Team
International Dzogchen Community

[email protected]
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

oldbob wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:38 pm I don't know!

My Membership History page on dzogchen.net shows that I have been a continuous member since 2012 which is as far back as they go.

Great, than you should have no problem logging in.
Tata1

Post by Tata1 »

Malcolm wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:58 pm
Tata1 wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:38 pm

he is complaining that it is password protected, and to have a user account, one must be a member of the IDC. And to be a member of the IDC, one must pay dues to a gar, something he is not inclined to do.
I thought it was in the practicing together which does nit require membership (practicing together closed does).

Am i confused?
oldbob

Post by oldbob »

I am throughly confused about everything and always mistake Samsara for Nirvana and vice versa. :heart:

What I am not confused about is that there will be a short Ganapuja in 15 minutes on Practicing together Closed.

ChNN wanted the fixed expenses for Teachings to be paid by sponsorship / donation, not by a Membership tax on all Members.

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

oldbob wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 6:17 pm I am throughly confused about everything and always mistake Samsara for Nirvana and vice versa. :heart:

What I am not confused about is that there will be a short Ganapuja in 15 minutes on Practicing together Closed.

It's here and it is open.
ChNN wanted the fixed expenses for Teachings to be paid by sponsorship / donation, not by a Membership tax on all Members.
He wanted everyone to pay dues. Responsible citizens pay their taxes.
oldbob

Post by oldbob »

Yes, he wanted everyone to be Members, but this was changed by someone from a voluntary system to a fixed system. Fixed charges for membership fees are not in harmony with the spirit of number 4. "according to their wishes."

Perhaps many have left the IDC because they understand that fixed fees are not in harmony with the open-hearted kindness of the Buddha Dharma. Perhaps many would return and less leave, if the Membership Agreements and Statutes of the IDC could be harmonized with Generosity, sponsorship and voluntary contributions.

From the Mirror article on Generosity.

http://melong.com/generosity/
In the future, in order to be in total accordance with the principle of the sacred Dharma and to be able to put into practice in an authentic way the “behavior according to place and time” without leaving it as a mere talk, any Gakhyil of the Dzogchen Community that, on the basis of the wishes of Community members and of the various necessities of the place and time, has to plan the organization of a teaching retreat, whether big or small, must first of all follow this fundamental procedure:

. 1) First of all the particular reason or importance of that teaching retreat has to be widely communicated to all Community members so that a clear understanding of it may arise in all those who are interested.

. 2) Those who wish to sponsor the specific teaching retreat, either an individual donor or a group, must inform the Gakhyil in due time, and then the Gakhyil together with the sponsor should decide the place and time of the retreat, and all its necessary factors.

. 3) The Gakhyil and the sponsor must jointly take full charge of the teaching retreat, and ensure that all the activities of the retreat will be perfectly accomplished.

. 4) All Community members, both as a group or individuals, will only make donations and presents to the Master and to the Community according to their wishes, and no specific enrolment fee will be requested.

. 5) It is important that the sponsors, without wishing for an immediate or karmic reward, train in the excellent behavior of the Bodhisattvas, scions of the Buddhas, and that they do not even show an air of self-importance in front of the Community for the fact that they are sponsors.

. 6) The Master, the Gakhyil and all the members of the Community will rejoice in the merits of such sponsors, and properly express the wish that they may attain inexhaustible happiness.

These six points which are related to the principle of the six spaces of Samantabhadra, I, the Dzogchenpa Chögyal Namkhai Norbu, offer to all the members of the Dzogchen Community as a means to keep presence and awareness alive. May good things increase!
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

oldbob wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:05 pm Yes, he wanted everyone to be Members, but this was changed by someone from a voluntary system to a fixed system. Fixed charges for membership fees are not in harmony with the spirit of number 4. "according to their wishes."
All I know is the way it is, so I with work circumstances as they are. Thus I pay my dues and I don’t complain.

The dues are $0.76 a day.

You said you pay your dues, so,I don’t really see what you’re bitching about.
Pema Rigdzin

Post by Pema Rigdzin »

oldbob wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:05 pm Yes, he wanted everyone to be Members, but this was changed by someone from a voluntary system to a fixed system. Fixed charges for membership fees are not in harmony with the spirit of number 4. "according to their wishes."
Bob,
And if they just tell everyone to contribute whatever amount they feel in their hearts, and people then give “according to their wishes” and the total given is too little to cover the costs to maintain the expenses to do the webcasts, etc, what then? Whose responsibility is it to cover the balance to keep the organization and webcasts going?
Pema Rigdzin/Brian Pittman
oldbob

Post by oldbob »

Dear all,

The idea of "--- give according to their means" and sponsors comes from ChNN. Please read both of the Mirror articles.

It doesn't cost much to make xerox copies of practices or digital copies of media or sponsor a webcast or Zoom.

If there is a shortfall of income then you cut your expenses until you can live within your means.

Ususally a sponsor steps in to pick up the differences if there is a shortfall.

The key point is that a Dharma organization must be set up according to the principles of universal good will with no one turned away from lack of funds. Then it is a Buddhist Dharma organization.

:heart: :heart: :heart:
oldbob

Post by oldbob »

Dear all,

If you are not able to receive the "Merigar webcast" of this event today you might want to inquire of the powers that be why this event is not being webcast from Merigar.

The appearance is that Members are not allowed to attend, or comment at, a "General Assembly" for Members. Perhaps this is "not normal."

You can send your thoughts to:

[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

Perhaps this is profoundly not OK. Please note that the notice below was a public notice sent to Norbunet.

oldbob

NOTICE OF CONVOCATION OF THE EXTRAORDINARY AND ORDINARY INTERNATIONAL DZOGCHEN COMMUNITY (IDC) MEMBERS 'GENERAL ASSEMBLIES

Notice posted at the headquarters of the IDC in Località Merigar 1, 58031 Arcidosso (Grosseto), Italy

Arcidosso, October 29 2021

To the IDC Members

To the Board of Directors (International Gakyil, IG)

To the IG Assistants

To the Auditor

To the College of Gekös (College of Guarantors)

Objective:

convocation of the Extraordinary and Ordinary “International Dzogchen Community” (IDC) Members' General Assemblies, according to article 8 of IDC Statute.

We wish to inform all IDC Members that:

an Extraordinary General Assembly has been called at the Gunnella Notary Studio - Valia, Via Masaccio n. 187, 50132, Florence (Italy ) on:

o first convocation on Monday November 29, 2021 at 6.00 am CET;
or second convocation Monday November 29, 2021 at 3.00 pm CET.

with the following
agenda

Approval of a new full text of the Statute of the Association “International Dzogchen Community” (IDC).

Any other business.

and

an Ordinary General Assembly has been called at the Studio Notarile Gunnella - Valia, Via Masaccio n. 187, 50132, Florence (Italy ) on:

o first convocation on Monday November 29, 2021 at 7.00 am CET
o second convocation on Monday November 29, 2021 at 4.00 pm CET

with the following
agenda

Renewal of the members of the Board of Directors (International Gakyil, IG).

Any other business.

All IDC Members who have the right to participate in both Extraordinary and Ordinary General Assemblies and who are unable to attend in person may appoint another Member to represent him / her by a written proxy. Every IDC Member may represent the votes for a maximum of three other IDC Members.

The Board of Directors (International Gakyil, IG)

International Dzogchen Community Association
Localit à Merigar 1, 58031 Arcidosso (Grosseto, Italy - CF 92077880539
treehuggingoctopus

Post by treehuggingoctopus »

"All IDC Members who have the right to participate in both Extraordinary and Ordinary General Assemblies and who are unable to attend in person may appoint another Member to represent him/her by a written proxy. Every IDC Member may represent the votes for a maximum of three other IDC Members."

"All IDC Members who have the right to participate in both Extraordinary and Ordinary General Assemblies" = all present DC members, right?
Générosité de l’invisible.
Notre gratitude est infinie.
Le critère est l’hospitalité.

Edmond Jabès

Return to “Dzogchen”