ChNN and formal trekchö practice

climb-up

ChNN and formal trekchö practice

Post by climb-up »

This is probably something that I should already know, and possibly have learned and forgotten, so apologies.

ChNN taught a lot about treckchö and integrating it into everything. He also made the point many times that it does not have to be practiced step by step like some teachers teach.

I know that other teachers do teach trekchö as a more formal practice and I’m curious though if Rinpoche ever specifically recommended formal trekchö retreats and practice (for example after completing the precious vase, rushen, and semdzins) to help stabilize trekchö.
Or would more semdzins and other practices be the formal practice recommendation?
"Death's second name is 'omnipresent.' On the relative truth it seems we become separate. But on the absolute there is no separation." Lama Dawa
Sherab Rigdrol

Re: ChNN and formal trekchö practice

Post by Sherab Rigdrol »

Ati Guru Yoga and Song of Vajra. Wash,rinse, repeat..
climb-up

Post by climb-up »

Sherab Rigdrol wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 11:12 pm Ati Guru Yoga and Song of Vajra. Wash,rinse, repeat..
That was my guess.
Thank you ❤️ 🙏
"Death's second name is 'omnipresent.' On the relative truth it seems we become separate. But on the absolute there is no separation." Lama Dawa
Sherab Rigdrol

Post by Sherab Rigdrol »

climb-up wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 11:17 pm
Sherab Rigdrol wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 11:12 pm Ati Guru Yoga and Song of Vajra. Wash,rinse, repeat..
That was my guess.
Thank you ❤️ 🙏
You’re welcome!!
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

climb-up wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:56 pm This is probably something that I should already know, and possibly have learned and forgotten, so apologies.

ChNN taught a lot about treckchö and integrating it into everything. He also made the point many times that it does not have to be practiced step by step like some teachers teach.

I know that other teachers do teach trekchö as a more formal practice and I’m curious though if Rinpoche ever specifically recommended formal trekchö retreats and practice (for example after completing the precious vase, rushen, and semdzins) to help stabilize trekchö.
Or would more semdzins and other practices be the formal practice recommendation?
You might want to check Introduction to the Practice of Contemplation, it has some pretty specific advice.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
climb-up

Post by climb-up »

Johnny Dangerous wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:42 am
climb-up wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:56 pm This is probably something that I should already know, and possibly have learned and forgotten, so apologies.

You might want to check Introduction to the Practice of Contemplation, it has some pretty specific advice.
Oh great, thank you.
I actually umm… …have that book! 😬 😂
After I initially posted I remembered it and thought that I should have re-read it before I posted.
I will check it out tonight. 🙏
climb-up

Post by climb-up »

Thank you. Sadly I never received the Longde transmission.:(
oldbob

Post by oldbob »

:namaste:

All excellent answers.

Also an excellent question.

From one point of view, everything that ChNN taught was Trekcho– a system to take you into contemplation, to help you towards realization.

If you are in the state of contemplation – Atiguruyoga – integration with what arises or doesn’t arise - then whatever practice you do, or don’t do, is fine.

And so ChNN taught many times that Atiguruyoga was the one practice that he wanted everyone to follow.

And so ChNN bountifully and generously also taught 108+ Secondary Practices in more than 650+ Teaching events to anyone who just showed up. (For Togyal and Yangti he required a letter of request- a form of showing up.)

When people asked him over and over, “What should I practice, what should I practice?” he set up the excellent 9 levels of the SMS path to exhaust those who needed structured exhaustion. People stopped asking him, 'What should I practice?"

And so everything that ChNN taught was all Trekcho – just sitting with him or practicing any of the Secondary Practices, or intellectually absorbing all of the information through practice retreats, books, transcripts and recordings.

https://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.p ... 96#p266896

Yup! :twothumbsup: Once you are exhausted you relax and observe. If you find yourself distracted, you practice a Secondary Practice.

They say that Lord Buddha taught 84,000 different Teachings so that there would be something for everyone. ChNN taught more than 108+ Secondary Practices.

The outer Rushen was always my favorite form of formal Tregcho path to exhaustion.. (New Rushen book compilation coming coming from SSI, soon.)

Note: Perhaps the Outer Rushen has been taught by students of ChNN and is still available if you know who to ask.

The wonder of ChNN was that he put it all, freely, on the table for anyone who just showed up.

With sincere apologies to the well-educated, here is a very provisional list of the formal Tregcho Secondary Practices of ChNN.

:soapbox:

It is possible NOW to have a cross referenced data base that would include a key word list all of the subject matter of the 650+ retreats, with links to the audio and video recordings of those Teachings. Merigar has had this project for 40+ years, and there is still not even a list of retreats by year, place, or subject. Maybe the other Gars and Lings, and individuals with capacity - need to help.

Thank you Merigar / SSI for preserving one trustable copy of the Digital Archive.

:thanks:

:soapbox:

It would be nice if the other Gars and Lings step up and ask for their own copy of the Digital Archive.

I believe that the Digital Archive is owned by Merigar, not SSI / SSF, the IDC or ATIF. Inquiries should go to Merigar:

[email protected]

:heart:

________________________________________________________________________________________

Very Provisional List of Secondary Practices Taught by ChNNR – 8-8-21

This is an open source document – Please add your corrections / additions and notes as to where and when taught, and circulate widely. Please also add your name and contact information to any SP that you feel that you have completed and are willing to pass on to others.

It would be nice if someone could also add the resource list of available books / and practice materials with links.

It would be nice if this were all made available for free -on line. :heart:

­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­_________________________________________________________________

Advice on Integration

Advice on the everyday practice for Dzogchen practitioners

Amitayus Long-Life Practice (Nyagla Pema Dundul terma)

Ati Dzogchen Tregchod (Changchub Dorje terma)

Avalokiteshvara Korwa Tongtrug [spyan ras gzigs] (Adzom Drukpa terma)

Base, Path and Fruit of the Dzogchen Longchen Nyingthig

Bepa'i Gumchung Experiential instructions (Buddhagupta)

Black Manjushri

Black Garuda

Chang Chog - Teachings and Practice of purification for the deceased

Chikhai Bardos [Bardo of the Moment of death]

Chö [gcod] (Machig Labdron/Jigme Lingpa terma) (On the base of Jigme Lingpa Terma with Guru

Choszhi Rinchen Trengwa (Longchenpa)

Dark-Blue Garuda (Changchub Dorje terma from the cycle of Lama Zabdon's Khyung-nag)

Dorje Drolod (Adzom Drugpa terma)

Dorje Lü [rdo rje'i glu; Song of Vajra (found in the bi ma snying thig/Tantra of the Union of the Sun

and Moon ___(nyi zla kha sbyor)]

Dorjei Kotrab [Vajra Armor Healing Mantra] (Dorje Lingpa terma)

Dorje Yudronma The Longsal Diviantion of

Guru Dragphur [guru drag phur; aka Guru Dragpo Kila]

Dra Thalgyur Tantra, Complete Lung Transmission of

Dzogchen Desum [3 Classes of the Great Perfection]

Dzogchen Medjung, The Marvelous state (Tantra of Dzogchen Semde)

Dzogchen Nallug [rdzogs chen rnal lugs]

Dzogchen Padma Nyingthig

Dzogchen Semde, 21 Empowerments of

Essential Teaching on Vimalamitra light of Dharma

Ganachakra, The Vajra Song of

Garab Dorje Guru Yoga of the White A

Ganapuja [thun tshog]

Gomadevi [short, medium and & long version, Nirmanakaya, Sambhogakaya and Dharmakaya

Gomchens (Great Meditators) and Geshes]

Green Tara [Adzom Drugpa terma (Invocation by ChNN)] Practice of …, Outer, Inner and Secret Practice of …]

Guardian Practice: Invocations of Ekajati, Rahula and Dorje Legpa. Special mantra invocation- Ngak kong

Introduction to the real essence of the Dzogchen Teachings of Garab Dorje

Jnanasutra - Statements of Four Stages of Relaxation of

Jangchub Semgom [The Instruction of Primordial State of the Dzogchen Text “Dola Serjung by Manjushrimitra]

Kalachakra Empowerment, Teachings and Practice in Anugoga and Atiyoga Form – from the terma of Janchub Dorje

Khading Shoklap

Khorde Rüshan ['khor 'das ru shan]

Khyung Chen Dingwa [khyung chen lding ba; The Flight of the Garuda]

Kumar Kumari Yantra Yoga for Children

Kunje Gyalpo [kun byed rgyal po'i rgyud]

Kuntu Zangpo Mönlam [kun bzang smon lam; Invocation of Samatabhadra] (Gödem Chen terma

from Kunye massage)

Gongpa Zangthal Gyi Gyü)

Kyechi Bardo [Bardo of the life time]

Lam Zhi Dras (Changchub Dorje terma)

Lama Zabdon Nyingthig (Chanchub Dorje terma)

Lhalung Sangdag (Heka Lingpa terma)

Longde

Long life Practice and Chüdlen of Nyagla Pema Dündul, Amitayus

Long life Practice with Guru Rinpoche

Longsal Root Empowerment (Empowerment of Gomadevi)

Longsal: Actions of the Guru Jñanadakini [bla ma ye shes mkha' 'gro'i phrin las rgya]

Longsal: Bardo Instructions Sealed with the HUM [bar do'i gdams pa hum gi rgya can]

Longsal: Direct Introduction to the Principle of the Mirror of Vajrasattva [rdor sems me long gi dgongs pa ngo ___sprod]

Longsal: Essence of the Heart of Guru Jnanadhakkini (Lama Yeshes Khadro'i Thugthig)

Longsal: King of Space [nam mkha'i rgyal po]

Longsal: Main Points of the View Totally Beyond the Conceptual Mind [lta ba blo 'das chen po'i gnad byang]

Longsal: Most Important Point of the Lama Gongdü [bla ma dgongs 'dus kyi gnad gzer] od 'bras kyi gnad gzer ___aka A ti'i gnad gzer man ngag]

Longsal: Opening of the Gate to the State of Ati [a ti'i dgongs pa sgo 'byed]

Longsal: Outer, Inner, and Secret Practices of the Guru Wisdom Dakini [la ma ye shes mkha' 'gro ma'i phyi nang ___gsang gsum las byang]

Longsal: Principle of the View Totally Beyond Conceptual Mind [lta ba blo 'das chen po'i dgongs pa]

Preliminary Practice From the Longsal Cycle

Longsal: Profound Essential Upadesha of the Long Life Practice & The Thigle of Vajra Life [tshe sgrub rdo rje'i ___srog thig gi gnad kyi man ngag zab mo]

Longsal: Purification of the Six Lokas as Preliminaries of the Path of Ati [a ti'i lam sngon rigs drug gnas sbyong ___aka A ti'i lam gnad sngon 'gro]

Longsal: Root Upadesha on the Vajra Bridge of Longde/Ngondzog Gyalpo [klong sde rdo rje zam pa'i man ngag ___gi rtsa ba] (May 2012)

Longsal: Tantra of the Manifestation of the Vajra Dance That Liberates the Six Classes in the Six Spaces [klong ___drug 'gro ba drug grol gyi rdo rje'i gar rgya rnam par bkod pa'i rgyud]

Longsal: Thigle of Vajra Life, Longevity Practice of the Immortal Dakini ['chi med mkha' 'gro'i tshe sgrub rdo rje ___srog thig rgya]

Longsal: Upadesha for the Self-Liberation of the Six Lokas [rgyud drug rang grol gyi man ngag]

Longsal: Upadesha of Introduction to the State of Ati [a ti'i dgongs pa ngo sprod kyi man ngag]

Longsal: Upadesha of the Oral Transmission of Thangtong Gyalpo [thang rgyal snyan rgyud kyi man ngag]

Longsal: Upadesha on All-Penetrating Wisdom [ye shes zang thal gyi man ngag]

Longsal: Upadesha on the Guruyoga of the White A [a dkar bla ma'i rnal 'byor gyi man ngag]

Longsal: Upadesha on the Profound Path of Illusory Body [zab lam sgyu lus kyi man ngag]

Longsal: Upadesha on the Thögal of Self-Perfected Luminous Clarity [lhun grub 'od gsal thod rgal gyi man ngag]

Longsal: Upadesha on the Total Behavior of Equal Taste [spyod pa ro snyoms chen po'i man ngag]

Longsal: Upadesha on the Tregchö of Primordial Purity [ka dag khregs chod kyi man ngag]

Longsal: Upadesha on the Twenty-Five Spaces [klong chen nyi shu rtsa lnga'i man ngag]

Longsal: Way to Practice the Profound Path of Guru Kalachakra [bla ma dus kyi 'khor lo'i zab lam nyams su len ___tshul]

Longsal: Wish-Fulfilling Jewel, Thigle of the Mind of the Guru Wisdom Dakini [bla ma ye shes mkha' 'gro'i ___thugs thig yid bzhin nor bu]

Longsal: Yangti Yoga of Darkness [yang ti mun pa'i rnal 'byor]

Longsal: Yoga of Prana for Clarity and Emptiness [gsal stong rlung gi rnal 'byor]

Lungta [rlung rta]

Mandala Offering – Nirmanakaya, Sambhogakaya and Dharmakaya Mandala Offering, Teaching of Padmasambgava (terma)

Man ngag 'Odsal Nangcha (Patrul Rinpoche)

Man ngag tag drol gyud (Changchub Dorje terma)

Mandarava Tsalung

Mandarava Long-life & Chüdlen

Marme Mönlam [mar me smon lam] (Adzom Drukpa terma)

Medicine Buddha [Bhaiṣajyaguruvaidūryaprabharāja]

Medicine Terma of Rigdzin Changchub Dorje

Method of Four Developments; The balancing of elements related to the special mantras, forms and colors.

Method of Integration from Dzogchen Upadesha root tantra Dra Thalgyur

Milam – Dream practice

Mo Divination

Naga Practice

Namkha [nam mkha]

Namkha Arte, Pracice of

Narag Tongtrug

Naslug Cherthong of Jigmed Lingpa [the naked condition of Dzogchen]

Ngondzog Gyalpo (mngon rdzogs rgyal po), Empowerment, Guru-Yoga and Sadhana of

Nine Purification Breathings [rlung ro bsal ba]

Nyamtrid Dzogchen Nyinthig

Nyangyud Khorva Dongtruk

Özer Chenma ['Od zer can ma; Skt: Marici]

Padma Nyingthig [pad ma snying thig]

Phowa (Terma of Chanchub Dorje)

Precious Mala - Four Dharmas of Gampopa

Purification of the 6 Lokas (Nyagla Pema Dündul terma)

Purification of Six Locas with Vajrasattva

Purification of Six Locas with special body postures and visualisations (terma of ?)

Red Garuda (Adzom Drugpa terma)

rigs-drug gnas-sbyong

Rushen, outer inner and secret

Sang [bsang mchod] (Adzom Drugpa)

Sangye Lakchang (Namchos Migyur Dorje terma)

Santi Maha Sangha, Teachings on of the Base, 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th Levels

Semde Rigpa'i Khujyug [rig pa'i khu byug; The Cuckoo of Presence]

Semde, The Four Contemplations of the

Semlung Namkhache

Semdzin

Semdzin with the Syllable Phat

Serkyem (Nub Sangye Yeshe)

Seven Semdzins [sems 'dzin]

Seven Statements - Main Points - of Shri Singha

Shakyamuni’s Praises to the 21 Taras. and restored transmission of Sanskrit text of …

Shitro (Teachings and Practice from the terma of Mingyur Dorje)

Short Ganapuja of Jigme Lingpa

Shri Gyalpo'i Khyadchos (Patrul Rinpoc

Song of Energy

Song of the Vajra

Tara

Thirty Nyingtams (Longchenpa)

Thos Grol. The Practice of the Twenty-five Thigles

Three and Four Essential Aspects of the Dzogchen practice in everyday life

Togal

Tregchöd - The Four Chogshag.

Tregcho teaching of Jigmed Lingpa from the Instruction "Yeshe Lama"

Tsik Sum Nedeg [tshig gsum gnad du brdeg pa; Three Statements of Garab Dorje]

Tundrin [thun 'bring; medium tun]

Tundus [thun bsdus; short tun]

Tungyas [thun rgyas; longer thun]

Twenty one Semzins

Twenty five spaces of Samantabhadra [aka thos grol/25 Thigle/25 Longchens] (Changchub Dorje terma)

Union of Mahamudra and Dzogchen from the great master Araga

Vaidurya'i Chun-phyangs of Patrul Rinpoche

Vajra Armor

Vajra Breathing [rdo rje'i bzlas pa]

Vajra Dance of the Song of Vajra

Vajra Dance that Liberates Six Lokas

Vajra Dance of Tree Vajras

Vagra dance of Twelve A (Khalong Dorje Kar)

Vajra Dance

Vajrapani (Heka Lingpa terma)

Varasattva, Empowerment of

Vajrasattva, Purification Practice of

Vairocana,

Yangti, Dark Retreat

Yeshes Zangthal and NadzerZernga [gzer lnga; “Five Nails”]

Yoga of Machig Labdron)

Zhaldam [Advice of Khyenrab Chos-kyi Odzer]

Zhenpa Zhidral

Zhine and Lhagthong of Dzogchen [zhi gnas; Skt: shamatha / lhag mthong; Skt: vipashyana]

Zhine related with the Longsal Ati Gongpa Ngosprod

Zhitro Khordas Rangdrol [zhi khro 'khor 'das rang grol] (Changchub Dorje terma)

Zhitro [zhi khro] (Namchö Mingyur Dorje terma)

Zhuslan [Request & Reply of Jyithing Lhamo, King Khrisong, Shelkarza Dorjetsho, Yeshe
Danny

Post by Danny »

Nice job bob.

A nice trip down memory lane.
Danny

Post by Danny »

Kunsang Jaku?
Konchog Thogme Jampa

Post by Konchog Thogme Jampa »

I like the notion of needing to exhaust I feel the need to practice lots of generation stage because of this.
climb-up

Post by climb-up »

Johnny Dangerous wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:42 am
Thank you again, the section on Namkhai ‘arted answered my question; as well as raising a question that I’ll post in tantra talk in a bit.
climb-up

Post by climb-up »

oldbob wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:17 pm :namaste:

All excellent answers.

Also an excellent question.

From one point of view, everything that ChNN taught was Trekcho– a system to take you into contemplation, to help you towards realization.

If you are in the state of contemplation – Atiguruyoga – integration with what arises or doesn’t arise - then whatever practice you do, or don’t do, is fine.

And so ChNN taught many times that Atiguruyoga was the one…
That is an excellent breakdown, and of course I agree completely.
I was particularly curious about explicit trekchö in the manner taught in some schools as a formal sitting practice; but ChNN certainly did make it clear that that was not necessary and that if you are in the state of contemplation then you are practicing trekchö.
Xango

Post by Xango »

formal sitting practice
That has been taught by some of his senior instructors in the community, in numerous retreats.
climb-up

Post by climb-up »

Xango wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 2:41 pm
formal sitting practice
That has been taught by some of his senior instructors in the community, in numerous retreats.
Oh, I hadn’t realized.
I don’t keep up with the various retreats within the community as much as should. I had seen some retreats on shine and on the semdzins (which, I really do understand, are not separates from trekchö), but I hadn’t seen them on trekchö specifically.
Xango

Post by Xango »

climb-up wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:24 pm trekchö specifically.
They have never been called like that. Usually something like "contemplation and this or that..". Jim and Elio had, unfortunately not any more. Elias is doing similar way, I know he's quite strange, but if you have possibility, join (even remotely). He usually explains some starting point of the practice (to get to know'refresh the knowledge of the base), let's say a semdzin, and then explains how to continue, in a sitting practice - what to "do", what to "look at". And you do together.
Kris

Post by Kris »

I believe there's a booklet on the 4 chogshag by ChNNR.

Also Longchenpa cites the 12 vajra laughs and 7 astonishing secret words when discussing trekcho. Along with the 4 chogshag and three samadhis etc.
The profound path of the master.
-- Virūpa, Vajra Lines
climb-up

Post by climb-up »

Xango wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:32 pm
climb-up wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:24 pm trekchö specifically.
They have never been called like that. Usually something like "contemplation and this or that..". Jim and Elio had, unfortunately not any more. Elias is doing similar way, I know he's quite strange, but if you have possibility, join (even remotely). He usually explains some starting point of the practice (to get to know'refresh the knowledge of the base), let's say a semdzin, and then explains how to continue, in a sitting practice - what to "do", what to "look at". And you do together.
Oh yes, that makes perfect sense.
I’ll keep an eye out for one that I am able to attend.
climb-up

Post by climb-up »

Sennin wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:15 pm I believe there's a booklet on the 4 chogshag by ChNNR.

Also Longchenpa cites the 12 vajra laughs and 7 astonishing secret words when discussing trekcho. Along with the 4 chogshag and three samadhis etc.
I have the booklet. It’s wonderful, of course, but doesn’t talk much about a more formal practice of trekchö, rather an emphasis on how it can be integrated at all times (which, of course, is far more important and is the main point). But, as mentioned above, there are a few books where he does talk about the four chogshags in relation to sitting practice that clarifies a lot of my questions.

I have read Tulku Urgyen Rinpoche’s teachings on the importance of the three samadhis, but I don’t believe that I have heard of the 12 vajra laughs or the 7 astonishing secret words. Did ChNN give teachings on these, and/or are they published in any non-restricted books?

EDIT: oh, it looks like that it is in the Precious Treasury of the basic space of phenomenon. Is that right?
I received the lung for the text, but have not purchased the English translation yet.

Return to “Dzogchen”