Dzogchen and Vajrayana

Katty3n

Dzogchen and Vajrayana

Post by Katty3n »

Hello my friends in Dharma.
I practice Vajrayana for a quite few years and I got interested in Dzogchen teachings. I've read few books of Chogjal Namkhai Norbu and watched his teachings I feel like this is what I was looking for I feel connection. How can I combine those two ways? I'd like to get Transmission and start practicing Dzogchen. How can I do this? Who can give it me? Right now I'm still doing my Ngondro Practice. I live in Ireland, I've tried to contact Dzogchen community but no one replied to me.
Hazel
Former staff member

Re: Dzogchen and Vajrayana

Post by Hazel »

Advertising has been removed.
Happy Pride month to my queer dharma siblings!

What do you see when you turn out the lights?
Tata1

Post by Tata1 »

Hazel wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:35 pm
Advertising has been removed.
Advertising?
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Katty3n wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:37 pm Hello my friends in Dharma.
I practice Vajrayana for a quite few years and I got interested in Dzogchen teachings. I've read few books of Chogjal Namkhai Norbu and watched his teachings I feel like this is what I was looking for I feel connection. How can I combine those two ways? I'd like to get Transmission and start practicing Dzogchen. How can I do this? Who can give it me? Right now I'm still doing my Ngondro Practice. I live in Ireland, I've tried to contact Dzogchen community but no one replied to me.
Chogyal Namkhai Norbu passed away in 2018. These days, no one gives transmission inside of Dzogchen Community. You should however check in with the Shang Shung in London, they are doing online courses based on ChNN's teachings etc.
St00qen

Post by St00qen »

Chogyal Namkhai Norbu passed away in 2018. These days, no one gives transmission inside of Dzogchen Community. You should however check in with the Shang Shung in London, they are doing online courses based on ChNN's teachings etc.
Malcolm wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:51 pm
I’ve been doing a lot of reading and research regarding transmission in the different communities. Is this still true about the Dzogchen Community? That no one gives transmission inside? Im just curious because I’ve practiced alone until I made my account on here but still have no place around me that I could go to to meet others and practice. It would just be convenient if this particular school doesn’t give transmissions. That also leads me to assume it’s not required?
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

St00qen wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:55 am Chogyal Namkhai Norbu passed away in 2018. These days, no one gives transmission inside of Dzogchen Community. You should however check in with the Shang Shung in London, they are doing online courses based on ChNN's teachings etc.
I’ve been doing a lot of reading and research regarding transmission in the different communities. Is this still true about the Dzogchen Community? That no one gives transmission inside? Im just curious because I’ve practiced alone until I made my account on here but still have no place around me that I could go to to meet others and practice. It would just be convenient if this particular school doesn’t give transmissions. That also leads me to assume it’s not required?
AFAIK it is definitely still required that one has had transmission from ChNN to practice Dzogchen proper within the DC framework. Within the community there appear to be some people teaching basically shamatha/vipaysana, which would not require transmission of course. More preliminary texts are up in the air maybe - I've seen mixed claims about Precious Vase. Secondary practices I think people are SOL, they definitely require the specific lung transmission to practice.

I do not know the status of people practicing things like Rushens etc. whohave other Dzogchen transmission practice within the DC. However,other than some specific practices, someone who already has Dzogchen transmission/introduction can (by my understanding) practice Rushens, Semdzins, etc. anyway.

Best thing is contact the DC if you have specific questions.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
Josef

Post by Josef »

St00qen wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:55 am Chogyal Namkhai Norbu passed away in 2018. These days, no one gives transmission inside of Dzogchen Community. You should however check in with the Shang Shung in London, they are doing online courses based on ChNN's teachings etc.
100% required.
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

St00qen wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:55 am I’ve been doing a lot of reading and research regarding transmission in the different communities. Is this still true about the Dzogchen Community? That no one gives transmission inside?
Correct, not at this time.
That also leads me to assume it’s not required?
Required.
Danny

Post by Danny »

St00qen wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:55 am That also leads me to assume it’s not required?
It’s definitively required.
There’s nothing to say you can’t pursue a intellectual study of such things, of course you can. But in Dzogchen the transmission is everything. That can only come form the teacher. Transmission is the heart, without a heart there is no life. Without the teacher, there is no transmission.
Michael126unknown

Post by Michael126unknown »

Dear "Katty3n",
Please don't misunderstand what Dzogchen Community means. Actually, it is a specific group that was made by Chogyal Namkhai Norbu. But they are not the only ones that teach Dzogchen. You may be interested in Lama Lena. She gives teachings online. But I ask you something, contact your teacher for permission beforehand, as you say you are doing Ngondro. Good luck and never hesitate to contact me or other practitioners you trust for further inquiry.
mire

Post by mire »

HH Gangteng Tulku teaches dzogchen.
You should get informations contacting his centers
may all beings be happy!
Lingpupa

Post by Lingpupa »

Dzogchen Beara is beautiful. It is a Sogyal centre, just so you can inform yourself.
All best wishes

"The profundity of your devotion to your lama is not measured by your ability to turn a blind eye."
Ramblings: lunidharma.blogspot.com
KC:

Post by KC: »

I practice Vajrayana for a quite few years and I got interested in Dzogchen teachings. I've read few books of Chogjal Namkhai Norbu and watched his teachings I feel like this is what I was looking for I feel connection. How can I combine those two ways?
First, I have to qualify my statements here: I know practically nothing about Gelug (though I have read into rang.tong). Haven't read even my 1 book by HH Dalai Lama! So I'm pretty well blinkered.

But to your point: the rime, non-dogmatic approach bridges practically all legitimate schools of thought and practice. Perhaps if you explore the different lineages of Tibetan Buddhism something will recommend itself?

--KC:

p.s. Glorious, how specific the dharma can be. Even writing "Kagyu" is entirely vague! "Four great and eight lesser lineages", all of them related to Karma Kagyu. Have you read biographies of the lineage holders? Naropa's is splendid; Marpa's is ?what? a real adventure! then, of course, Milarepa and Gampopa.

p.s.2 my teacher is lineage holder of both Kagyu and Dzogchen. no conflict!

Return to “Dzogchen”