Direct introduction + bodhisattva vows

Damchö_Dorje

Direct introduction + bodhisattva vows

Post by Damchö_Dorje »

I joined webcast anniversary of Adzom Drukpa in 2016. By that time I had had a refuge ceremony with another lama, but not bodhisattva vows. If I had never taken bodhisattva vows, does that mean I didn't receive direct introduction?
Malcolm

Re: Direct introduction + bodhisattva vows

Post by Malcolm »

Damchö_Dorje wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:18 pm I joined webcast anniversary of Adzom Drukpa in 2016. By that time I had had a refuge ceremony with another lama, but not bodhisattva vows. If I had never taken bodhisattva vows, does that mean I didn't receive direct introduction?
Then you received bodhisattva vows during the anniversary of Adzom Drukpa.
Matt J

Post by Matt J »

How can you unintentionally receive Bodhisattva vows?
Malcolm wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:31 pm Then you received bodhisattva vows during the anniversary of Adzom Drukpa.
"The world is made of stories, not atoms."
--- Muriel Rukeyser
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Matt J wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:52 pm How can you unintentionally receive Bodhisattva vows?
Malcolm wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:31 pm Then you received bodhisattva vows during the anniversary of Adzom Drukpa.
You can’t, but these anniversary days have explanations of refuge and so on.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

Matt J wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:52 pm How can you unintentionally receive Bodhisattva vows?
How can someone intentionally receive Tantric empowerment or Dzogchen introduction without already having the Bodhisattva motivation? I suspect the answer is that they can, but it won't do much.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
Danny

Post by Danny »

Johnny Dangerous wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:49 am
How can someone intentionally receive Tantric empowerment or Dzogchen introduction without already having the Bodhisattva motivation? I suspect the answer is that they can, but it won't do much.
Karma.
Don’t worry about it.
Relax everything gonna be ok.
Damchö_Dorje

Post by Damchö_Dorje »

This makes sense intuitively.
Danny

Post by Danny »

Matt,
This is not directed at you, but in general
Folks have this idea that some how if you’ve not been bumped on the head or had some type of elaborate show with ribbons and bells and so forth, that something has not been transmitted,
It’s really about expected perception of things than the real essence.
Too much conceptual thinking.

Whilst I appreciate that it doesn’t make for clicks and posts on a forum, Malcolm is right.
He’s a good bridge.
Soma999

Post by Soma999 »

Receiving boddisattva vows is good. Living as a boddisattva is much more important. Vows are there to help you. They don’t turn you into a boddisattva in a magical way. They help you to become one.

If in your intent you align yourself with bodisattva attitude, you are a « bodisattva in spirit ».

You can take vows, but most important is to understand their essence and don’t get stuck in a rigid form.
Natan

Post by Natan »

Excellent point. Many Theravada, Mahayanist syncretism going on just wrecks the boat.

Return to “Dzogchen”