Help filling in some gaps on secondary practices

Damchö_Dorje

Help filling in some gaps on secondary practices

Post by Damchö_Dorje »

Is a secondary practice needed if I'm doing guru yoga? I know that secondary practices can clear obstacles, is the idea to combine forces from guru yoga and secondary practices? I'm wondering if I can just do guru yoga without secondary practices even though things are coming to a head in my life. Also, I don't understand the nature of obstacles, why they occur. It seems like practice can involve many presentations of obstacles. Are there reasons obstacles would be more acute on the path than off the path? Can the location where practice happens affect things? Are all of ChNN's secondary practices besides Dzogchen preliminaries anuyoga? I'm interested in the Red Chenrezig Korwa Tongtrug practice, sang and serkyem mostly.

I know it's very important for ChNN that we continue in guru yoga and being present, and working with circumstances.

I have many questions if anyone is available for PM or in this post.

My transmission is DI plus the secondary practice lungs since 2016-2017.
Konchog Thogme Jampa

Re: Help filling in some gaps on secondary practices

Post by Konchog Thogme Jampa »

Damchö_Dorje wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 9:48 pm Is a secondary practice needed if I'm doing guru yoga?
Yes it’s fine have to work at your level
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

Secondary practices are about circumstances, as our circumstances are always changing, there are range of practices to accommodate that.

My understanding is that if you want the fundamentals you are pretty well covered by the Thuns. Guru Yoga and the Thuns is pretty comprehensive...along with semdzin, rushens, lojongs..everything else is there if needed.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
mechashivaz

Post by mechashivaz »

We're so fortunate to have ChNN as a teacher because he left us with a plethora of secondary practices, so it comes down to your own preferences and what practices you're inclined to utilize. Obstacles can occur more frequently as a practitioners because, as ChNN put it, certain beings become jealous and become aware of our trajectory toward enlightenment, thus they actively try to throw obstacles in our path, much like Mara attacking Sakyamuni under the Bodhi tree. When doing practices in new locations always good to do a sang/serkyem there to appease local beings. ChNN said he wouldn't mind if all his students ever did was guru yoga but he also said always work with circumstances, so he left the choice up to the individual. I personally recommend utilizing the secondary practices as often as one has time.
Danny

Post by Danny »

I'm interested in the Red Chenrezig Korwa Tongtrug practice, sang and serkyem mostly.

Cool.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Damchö_Dorje wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 9:48 pm I'm interested in the Red Chenrezig Korwa Tongtrug practice.....

Just thought I would mention, unfortunately AFAIK a recording for The Red Chenrezig does not exist anywhere. It's too bad because it would be really nice to have a melody. The practice booklet is very cool and to the point, as with anything that comes right from Rinpoche's words. If you have a basic familiarity with the flow of even the short Thun then the booklet gives you everything you'd need and has a good explanation of the practice, ...just minus the melody.

-Khunu Lama
Damchö_Dorje

Post by Damchö_Dorje »

Johnny Dangerous wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 11:21 pm
Damchö_Dorje wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 9:48 pm I'm interested in the Red Chenrezig Korwa Tongtrug practice.....

Just thought I would mention, unfortunately AFAIK a recording for The Red Chenrezig does not exist anywhere. It's too bad because it would be really nice to have a melody. The practice booklet is very cool and to the point, as with anything that comes right from Rinpoche's words. If you have a basic familiarity with the flow of even the short Thun then the booklet gives you everything you'd need and has a good explanation of the practice, ...just minus the melody.
I also found a comment in a Dharma Wheel post that convinced me the lung for Korwa Tongtrug may not have been transmitted when I was available for the webcast. So I probably won't proceed with that one. I wish I knew how to determine which lungs Rinpoche was transmitting 2016-2017. I don't recall the exact webcast. For example, Medicine Buddha, Guru Amitayus, or Vajrasattva.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Damchö_Dorje wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 11:42 pm

I also found a comment in a Dharma Wheel post that convinced me the lung for Korwa Tongtrug may not have been transmitted when I was available for the webcast. So I probably won't proceed with that one. I wish I knew how to determine which lungs Rinpoche was transmitting 2016-2017. I don't recall the exact webcast. For example, Medicine Buddha, Guru Amitayus, or Vajrasattva.
Good luck lol. Somewhere or other there is a list I think, maybe someone knows.

-Khunu Lama
khemmis

Post by khemmis »

Damchö_Dorje wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 11:42 pm I also found a comment in a Dharma Wheel post that convinced me the lung for Korwa Tongtrug may not have been transmitted when I was available for the webcast. So I probably won't proceed with that one. I wish I knew how to determine which lungs Rinpoche was transmitting 2016-2017. I don't recall the exact webcast. For example, Medicine Buddha, Guru Amitayus, or Vajrasattva.
http://www.shangshungpublications.org/practices/
Hazel
Former staff member

Post by Hazel »

Damchö_Dorje wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 11:42 pm

Browser history on an old laptop? YouTube view history?

Sorry, I know that's a huge shot in the dark....
Happy Pride month to my queer dharma siblings!

What do you see when you turn out the lights?
Hazel
Former staff member

Post by Hazel »

Oh the other thing I've done to track stuff like this down is searching chat logs.
Happy Pride month to my queer dharma siblings!

What do you see when you turn out the lights?

Return to “Dzogchen”