Garchen Rinpoche Yangzab Empowerment

ratna

Re: Garchen Rinpoche Yangzab Empowerment

Post by ratna »

lucidaromulus wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:30 am Malcolm, if you don't mind can you let me know what's the Sadhana title and author that was transmitted in this video?

Thank you :namaste:

The title seems to be bka' rdzogs pa chen po dkon mchog spyi 'dus las gu ru zhi ba'i sgrub thabs or Peaceful Guru Sadhana from the Konchok Chidu. This seems to be a slightly different arrangement than the commonly found extensive sadhana (phrin las kun khyab or "All-pervasive Activity"). As far as I can make out, the version transmitted by Lama Abao doesn't include some of the parts found in the latter like the practices of Simhamukha, Drakpo, and the four activities. It includes at least the sadhana of the peaceful Guru, the long-life practice, and the Ganachakra. It would be best to ask Lama Abao for the text he was using.

R
ratna

Post by ratna »

Malcolm wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:37 pm There are seven sections to this empowerment. Garchen Rinpoche skipped the poti wang, the simhamukha transmission, and the rig pa'i rtsal dbang. These three follow the fourth empowerment. But you know, guru's choice.
He skipped the rig pa'i rtsal dbang but did do the poti wang (the vajra master empowerment), with the ali kali mantra and the pecha as the implement. Also he went through the brief srog gtad of the protector (with the red torma as the implement), although this was not translated.
lucidaromulus

Post by lucidaromulus »

ratna wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:38 am
Malcolm wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:37 pm There are seven sections to this empowerment. Garchen Rinpoche skipped the poti wang, the simhamukha transmission, and the rig pa'i rtsal dbang. These three follow the fourth empowerment. But you know, guru's choice.
He skipped the rig pa'i rtsal dbang but did do the poti wang (the vajra master empowerment), with the ali kali mantra and the pecha as the implement. Also he went through the brief srog gtad of the protector (with the red torma as the implement), although this was not translated.
What does the poti wang does?
(I read a few posts about it in the forum but to be Frank I'm still unclear what authorization it gives)
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

lucidaromulus wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:17 am
What does the poti wang does?
(I read a few posts about it in the forum but to be Frank I'm still unclear what authorization it gives)
Authorizes one to read the cycle and practice the sadhanas.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

He must have using an empowerment text other than the common one in the terdzod, but admittedly, I only observed the end of the video at someone’s request from the end of the third onward.
Javierfv1212

Post by Javierfv1212 »

Hopefully they will post an English sadhana on the website, apparently they have a Chinese translation, but not English.

There is the peaceful guru sadhana that can be found on google with Thrangu Rinpoche notes/commentary on it. Here's the one I mean: https://docdro.id/jaAOGMt

But now I am not sure if this is the same one that was being used here. Does it matter?

It seems to me that the specific details of this stuff doesn't matter as much as bodhicitta, keeping a focused and relaxed mind, and trying to recognize what was pointed out in the introduction. At least, that's what I get from Garchen R's attitude to this stuff.

So I may just use this sadhana which is available and give it a shot.
It is quite impossible to find the Buddha anywhere other than in one's own mind.
A person who is ignorant of this may seek externally,
but how is it possible to find oneself through seeking anywhere other than in oneself?
Someone who seeks their own nature externally is like a fool who, giving a performance in the middle of a crowd, forgets who he is and then seeks everywhere else to find himself.
— Padmasambhava

Visit my site: https://sites.google.com/view/abhayajana/
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Javierfv1212 wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:55 pm Hopefully they will post an English sadhana on the website, apparently they have a Chinese translation, but not English.

There is the peaceful guru sadhana that can be found on google with Thrangu Rinpoche notes/commentary on it. Here's the one I mean: https://docdro.id/jaAOGMt

But now I am not sure if this is the same one that was being used here. Does it matter?

It seems to me that the specific details of this stuff doesn't matter as much as bodhicitta, keeping a focused and relaxed mind, and trying to recognize what was pointed out in the introduction. At least, that's what I get from Garchen R's attitude to this stuff.

So I may just use this sadhana which is available and give it a shot.
The essence of Konchog Chidu is the seven line prayer and the vajraguru mantra.
Javierfv1212

Post by Javierfv1212 »

Gotcha, well, since I don't really have a teacher who will give me point by point instructions, I can just focus on the prayer and the mantra at this point.
It is quite impossible to find the Buddha anywhere other than in one's own mind.
but how is it possible to find oneself through seeking anywhere other than in oneself?
Someone who seeks their own nature externally is like a fool who, giving a performance in the middle of a crowd, forgets who he is and then seeks everywhere else to find himself.
— Padmasambhava

philji

Post by philji »

I contacted Garcgen Institute and the advice from Garchen Rinpoche is to use any Guru Rinpoche text you are familiar with. The Konchok Chidu (peaceful Guru Rinpoche practice) available on palpung.org.uk is as good as any.
Javierfv1212

Post by Javierfv1212 »

Ah, thanks for pointing that out, I didn't know about the version on Palpung's site

Here it is to save anyone else the trouble

http://palpung.org.uk/wp-content/upload ... u-TEXT.pdf
— Padmasambhava

Passing By

Post by Passing By »

Malcolm wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:39 am
Passing By wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:16 am
So was the 4th one a direct introduction?
Yes, but not the rig pa’i rtsal dbang. On the one hand, all word empowerments are direct introductions. One can consider it an introduction to trekcho, but this is not entirely accurate. It’s a foundation empowerment for the rig pa’i rtsal dbang. Empowerments ripen, but the instructions liberate. A characteristic of the rig pa’i rtsal dbang, and why they are crucial, is that they combine the ripening empowerment and liberating instruction together. The is a unique feature of Dzogchen empowerments.

It’s a beautiful cycle of teachings that has complete dzogchen teachings, which sadly are not given very frequently anymore. But maybe if you ask Garchen Rinpoche, he can teach you Rigzin Tsewang Norbu’s commentary on the creation stage and Kongtrul’s commentary on the completion stage. Konchok Chidu was Kongtrul’s main practice.
Very informative, thanks. In that case, would the Yangzab Shitro's Trekchod and Thogal empowerments which Garchen Rinpoche gave a few months ago be formally considered rig pa’i rtsal dbang? Generally would instructions in plain language such as what Rinpoche and many other teachers use to point out Mind and how to rest in it be considered "liberating instructions" or are these instructions given in more symbolic or "raw" form like a phet sound or some such example?
ratna

Post by ratna »

The Yangzab Shitro empowerment presented the four empowerments as the standard Dzogchen four, elaborate, unelaborate, very unelaborate, extremely unelaborate; then there was an additional fifth empowerment called something like "entirely unelaborate" (kun tu spros med) related to Thogal and this one was referred to as the rig pa'i rtsal dbang in the empowerment text.
KonchogUrgyenNyima

Re: Question about Garchen Rinpoche Yangzab Empowerment

Post by KonchogUrgyenNyima »

Malcolm wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:22 pm
tony_montana wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:54 am

I'm also curious to know if we can practice the wrathful Guru as Yidam and Simhamukha Dakini based on the empowerment.
Can we practice their mantras?
If you have the lung, yes.
Could you give the lung, Malcolm?
GrapeLover

Post by GrapeLover »

Looks like Khenchen Lama Rinpoche is giving the lung for a Konchok Chidu sadhana tomorrow morning (U.K. time) on Facebook, but may be late for those in America.

https://bit.ly/2SlwxG5
KonchogUrgyenNyima

Post by KonchogUrgyenNyima »

GrapeLover wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:59 am Looks like Khenchen Lama Rinpoche is giving the lung for a Konchok Chidu sadhana tomorrow morning (U.K. time) on Facebook, but may be late for those in America.

Any idea how to attend this? Just tune in to Rinpoche’s facebook at the correct time?
GrapeLover

Post by GrapeLover »

KonchogUrgyenNyima wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:22 am
GrapeLover wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:59 am Looks like Khenchen Lama Rinpoche is giving the lung for a Konchok Chidu sadhana tomorrow morning (U.K. time) on Facebook, but may be late for those in America.

Any idea how to attend this? Just tune in to Rinpoche’s facebook at the correct time?
Yeah, he’ll just be going Live on that page 😺
Natan

Post by Natan »

One might think to ask a Drikung Kagyu lama, as in someone qualified by the lineage to answer questions about Drikung Kagyu teachings. As far as I know, one does not exist here. For Dzogchen questions one might think to ask a Khenpo from Nyingma. No one is a Jack of All Trades scholar. Every scholar had a mentor, and that mentor had a lineage. Always try to know who is talking and who taught them and what was taught. That material has lineage blessing. Personal research projects are just a hobby. Lineages don't take these seriously. Someone posing as having authoritative knowledge of every lineage's teaching is a fraud.
Last edited by Natan on Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Crazywisdom wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:53 pm One might think to ask a Drikung Kagyu lama, as in someone qualified by the lineage to answer questions about Drikung Kagyu teachings.
Konchog Chidu is widely spread in Nyingma and Kagyu. The reason it spread widely in the latter is due to it being a principle practice of Situ Panchen of Palpung.

Rinchen Phuntsog's earlier treasure cycle, dgongs pa yang zab, etc., also has yang zab in the title of the cycle. So people became a little confused as to what cycle Garchen Rinpoche was actually giving.
Malcolm

Re: Question about Garchen Rinpoche Yangzab Empowerment

Post by Malcolm »

KonchogUrgyenNyima wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:41 am
Malcolm wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:22 pm
tony_montana wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:54 am

I'm also curious to know if we can practice the wrathful Guru as Yidam and Simhamukha Dakini based on the empowerment.
Can we practice their mantras?
If you have the lung, yes.
Could you give the lung, Malcolm?
You can get the lung for this from almost any Nyingma or Kagyu Lama. It is very widespread and popular.
tony_montana

Post by tony_montana »

KonchogUrgyenNyima wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:22 am

It's happening right now, link for the broadcast is:
https://www.facebook.com/khenchen.lama. ... ive_videos

Return to “Dzogchen”