100,000 candles??

pemachophel

Re: 100,000 candles??

Post by pemachophel »

Will your Lama allow you to commission some of the lamps by other practitioners? If so, there are monasteries in Nepal, etc. who will light "butter" lamps for an appropriate offering. At some of these, one can make the offering via Paypal. This might also be part of the solution.

Other types of offerings that practitioners sometimes make are 100,000 bowls of water and 100,000 flowers. If I remember correctly, there's a story in Saint in Seattle (Dezhung Rinpoche's biography) that describes offering 100,000 bowls of water with some practitioners setting out and filling plastic or paper cups while other practitioners are emptying the cups at the other end of the table(s).
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
KonchogUrgyenNyima

Post by KonchogUrgyenNyima »

pemachophel wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:52 pm Will your Lama allow you to commission some of the lamps by other practitioners? If so, there are monasteries in Nepal, etc. who will light "butter" lamps for an appropriate offering. At some of these, one can make the offering via Paypal. This might also be part of the solution.

Other types of offerings that practitioners sometimes make are 100,000 bowls of water and 100,000 flowers. If I remember correctly, there's a story in Saint in Seattle (Dezhung Rinpoche's biography) that describes offering 100,000 bowls of water with some practitioners setting out and filling plastic or paper cups while other practitioners are emptying the cups at the other end of the table(s).
My lama specifically wants light offerings.

I have looked into making the offerings through different monasteries in nepal and bhutan, and it is a few thousand dollars more expensive than doing it with my lama here in the u.s.
Danny

Post by Danny »

Question... are you saying a 100k all in one shot? Like where would you light 100k candles without burning down the place?
Of like a ngondro... 100k one at a time,
Or 100 at a time?
Last edited by Danny on Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Danny

Post by Danny »

KonchogUrgyenNyima wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:06 pm

I have looked into making the offerings through different monasteries in nepal and bhutan, and it is a few thousand dollars more
I was about to suggest that.. but seems expensive.
What I’m saying is don’t look at the numbers requested as a head scratcher, but figure out something that’s doable.
Work with the circumstances.
Work with what you got, might take a few years.
KonchogUrgyenNyima

Danny wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:59 pm

I have looked into making the offerings through different monasteries in nepal and bhutan, and it is a few thousand dollars more
What I’m saying is don’t look at the numbers requested as a head scratcher, but figure out something that’s doable.
Looks like i’ll probably just do it little by little and save up money via my fundraiser and otherwise to do bigger offerings every once in a while with my lama. Rn i’m doing just 10 every day and saving for a bigger purchase to light on an auspicious day to contribute to the larger sum. I think it’s going to take a long time lol.
Danny

Post by Danny »

KonchogUrgyenNyima wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:50 am

Looks like i’ll probably just do it little by little and save up money via my fundraiser and otherwise to do bigger offerings every once in a while with my lama. Rn i’m doing just 10 every day and saving for a bigger purchase to light on an auspicious day to contribute to the larger sum. I think it’s going to take a long time lol.
Yeah, when I did mine it was an annual thing, specific date and all, and sort out contributions.. it takes awhile but it worked out well... like I said it’s a devotional thing and not a numbers game.
Let us know where and when and maybe we can all toss in a few dollars if we can to help out.
You ou don’t need to feel its desperate thing..
:heart:
Sangha will pull together.
KonchogUrgyenNyima

Danny wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:56 am

Yeah, when I did mine it was an annual thing, specific date and all, and sort out contributions.. it takes awhile but it worked out well... like I said it’s a devotional thing and not a numbers game.
Let us know where and when and maybe we can all toss in a few dollars if we can to help out.
I have a gofundme set up and i’m just figuring out how to post to this forum about it. There are some requirements. I think if you message me about it i could link you to it.

Thanks for ur help n support!!
Danny

Post by Danny »

KonchogUrgyenNyima wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:00 am
Danny wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:56 am

I have a gofundme set up and i’m just figuring out how to post to this forum about it. There are some requirements. I think if you message me about it i could link you to it.

Thanks for ur help n support!!
Yeah u got it..it’s like being in the mafia..figure out how u gonna be a “good earner”.
Danny

Post by Danny »

I won’t say how I did mine...
But there was a Chinese restaurant in town....

Lol
taleen

Post by taleen »

are the pictures visible ?
I can't see them from my side ?
billy hudson

Post by billy hudson »

taleen wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:12 am are the pictures visible ?
I can't see them from my side ?
Three photos of packages of candles in bins . . .
reiun

Post by reiun »

KonchogUrgyenNyima wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:01 pm Hey everyone,

I need to burn 100,000 candles as offering. Does anyone know where i can get a ton of candles for cheap??
No, sorry.

Favorite alternative suggestions:
Kurp wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:25 pm 1 really nice candle placed in between
+ 2 mirrors facing one another
PadmaVonSamba wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:41 pm Why not just burn one candle a hundred-thousand times?
Tenma wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:50 pm (I noticed that Lama Yeshe once advised about making electric light offerings as well).
Building off this last:

to get to 100,000 candle light-ups:

1 lumen = 9.75 candlepower ("candle light-ups")
Car headlight = 1200 lumens, x2 = 2400
2400 X 9.75 = 23,400

That would be 23,400 "light-ups" per headlights activation

100,000 / 23,400 = 4.27, so round up to "5" activations (or just activate the turn signal for a minute)

Obviously, there is a sum of money involved that is beyond reasonable means for you personally. I practice zazen and koans and am not familiar with such requirements as you describe in your school. But it seems to me, whatever you do, if you do it open-hearted sincerely with right attitude, you should get a pass.
Hazel
Former staff member

Post by Hazel »

Strands of Christmas lights.
Happy Pride month to my queer dharma siblings!

What do you see when you turn out the lights?
Sonam Wangchug

Post by Sonam Wangchug »

pemachophel wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:52 pm Will your Lama allow you to commission some of the lamps by other practitioners? If so, there are monasteries in Nepal, etc. who will light "butter" lamps for an appropriate offering. At some of these, one can make the offering via Paypal. This might also be part of the solution.

I have looked into making the offerings through different monasteries in nepal and bhutan, and it is a few thousand dollars more expensive than doing it with my lama here in the u.s.
Go through locals, there are Inji prices, and local prices.

Local prices are much cheaper.
"To have confidence in the teacher is the ultimate refuge." -Rigzin Jigme Lingpa
Danny

Post by Danny »

Sonam Wangchug wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:10 pm

Should be
An affront to many things. Who would trade with such profiteers and pirates? Is that a bodhisattva way?
Yet you seem complicit in “that’s how it’s done”.

Bullshit.
Sonam Wangchug

Post by Sonam Wangchug »

Danny wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:29 pm

Should be
An affront to many things. Who would trade with such profiteers and pirates? Is that a bodhisattva way?

Bullshit.
I don't know what you're talking about.

I am trying to help someone with limited funds.
"To have confidence in the teacher is the ultimate refuge." -Rigzin Jigme Lingpa
Lingpupa

Post by Lingpupa »

Should be

Bullshit.
Welcome to planet Earth. Do you support centrally planned economies then? They have proved to be problematic.
All best wishes

"The profundity of your devotion to your lama is not measured by your ability to turn a blind eye."
KonchogUrgyenNyima

Hello my friend,

can you explain what you mean? what do you mean by Inji and local? what is Inji?
Tata1

Post by Tata1 »

KonchogUrgyenNyima wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:15 am

Hello my friend,

can you explain what you mean? what do you mean by Inji and local? what is Inji?
Inji is how people in india call westerners. Local are local people
Arnoud

Post by Arnoud »

Should be

Bullshit.
I guess it all depends on one’s own perspective. Do Injis pay the proper amount and locals get a discount or do locals pay the proper amount and injis get up charged because western currency goes a lot farther than rupees?

Return to “Dzogchen”